• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Internet browser URLs

rob_o

Lurker
Sep 10, 2010
Hey everyone,

First post here! Im quite new to Android phones so Im a bit of a n00b.

I recently performed a hard reset of the phone to bring it back to its factory default settings. When I opened up the internet browser, it still had a URL in there of a website which I visited. I thought it was strange as I didnt perform a restore of any settings on the phone. I would've assumed that it would've gotten rid of everything

The URL there doesnt bother me as it is a website I still visit, but Im just wondering if somehow I may have encoded that URL into the phone. I was trying to get internet sharing on my Mac at one stage and was playig around with Debugging Mode, and just wondering if this had anything to do with it.

Im new to all this so Im not 100% with what I was doing in Debugging Mode.

The phone is a HTC Legend.

Rob

Where are these URLs stored? I dont have this browser history enabled on my Google account. And its doesnt seem to be on the Google account itself, it's up in the URL part of the browser. Eg: If I were to type in "www.an" then it would auto-complete and finish the rest of the URL.

Thats what makes me think that Ive somehow encoded it into the phone.

Upvote 0
It's probably The google web history (It remebers your history while you are signed in to google) if you want to turn it off (or clear it out) go to your Gmail account > settings > Accounts and Import > Google Account settings > View Data stored with this account Scroll right down to web history and click on Remove items or clear history. If you clear your history that will stop it collecting stuff...

It's quite a useful service in a big brother kind of way....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones