1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Internet connection error (through 3g) since updating to Gingerbread - ICAP protocol error

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by btpclarkson, May 20, 2011.

1. btpclarkson

btpclarkson Lurker
    None

Dec 18, 2010
    London
    Hi all

I updated to Android 2.3 on my HTC Desire HD at the start of the week. Since then I've noticed a strange occurence every day late afternoon / early evening.

When I try and view websites through the internet browser using a 3G connection (not WiFi) the majority of the time the website fails to load and I get an error message stating "ICAP protocol error".

The page states the problem is with a server called "squid", or to give it its catchier name bdp-bproxy13.orange.co.uk.

Orange insist this is an issue with the handset - likely since it has been occuring since upgrade to gingerbread. Their first suggestion was to manually enter some new APN settings but this did not work. They're now suggesting a master reset but I don't want to do this and lose all my settings.

Does anybody have any alternative solutions? I have found that resetting the APN settings to default sometimes does the trick. (Note: turning off/on doesn't work). I don't really want to have to mess around with settting every afternoon when I'm trying to use the internet!

Anybody else had this problem with Gingerbread?

Advertisement

2. ventovr6

ventovr6 Member
    None

Oct 23, 2010
    I noticed my phone was doing this today at about 5pm I also am on orange .

3. btpclarkson

btpclarkson Lurker
    None

Dec 18, 2010
    London
    Hmm... They claimed they've not had any other reports if this. hopefully if its an issue at their end they'll figure it soon enough when people keep calling. The CSA was useless though!

4. keithy999

keithy999 Lurker
    None

Mar 2, 2011
    yes, I've had this all afternoon on orange. their webcache is borked. seems to have sorted itself for now. bet its back tomorrow at busy times.

been seriously underimpressed in general with oranges 3G performance :(

5. btpclarkson

btpclarkson Lurker
    None

Dec 18, 2010
    London
    I knew I shouldn't listen to the idiot when he said to do a master reset. He just couldnt be bothered

6. Goreygirl

Goreygirl Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    Female
    Occupational Health Advisor
    Kildare, Ireland
    The update disabled all my APN settings... strangely this was not immediately but about 24 hours later! However a "restore default" sorted it out and it's stayed sorted so far. I am not on Orange.