1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Internet connection via wifi on phones

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Zaaphod, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Zaaphod

Zaaphod Lurker
    None

Dec 5, 2014
    Hello, I have been having an issue that I hope someone here can resolve. About a week ago all my devices including laptop and PS3 suddenly could not connect to the internet. They all showed connection to my wi-fi, but nothing could use internet. I reset my router and unplugged and replugged my modem, which seemed to fix the problem. A couple days later same issue, I tried troubleshooting from laptop which diagnosed a "DNS server error". After checking the internet, I found a solution which required me to manually change the address for my network connection. This got laptop working, and PS3 was able once again to stream Netflix and Hulu, but phones wouldnt connect. I reset the router again, and phones were able to access internet via wi-fi, but several days later, phones not connecting again. Laptop has connection. New tablet connected without difficulty. Netflix still streaming. Hulu says DNS error, but then connects anyway via PS3. However phones wont connect to internet. Both phones show strong wifi signal connection, I used Wifi analyzer app to check. I tried forgetting connection then reconnecting, but that doesnt do anything. It keeps saying that I'm connected, but wont make any internet connection. So it seems that there is no problem with router, as laptop and tablet accessing without issues. Galaxy S3 phone is running version 4.4 so it is not a 4.3 issue. I'm not sure what the HTC One is running. Both phones are Cricket phones, I don't know if that means anything. They worked fine for over a year, now cant keep internet connection. Resetting router only fixes issue for less than 24 hours, then phones have same issue. Wi-Fi is set to stay connected even during sleep on phones.
    The *#0011# trick does not work with my phone.

Advertisement

2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Mostly retired
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Does sound like a DNS resolution issue. To test, on a non-working device try to access a website by entering a numerical IP address in the address bar of the browser rather than a xxx.com named url. Try Google for example:
    Note: this IP address may not work in all locations.

If the numerical IP address works, try:
    Clearing browser cache and cookies.
    Reboot the router again.
    Change router security type, say from WEP or WPA to WPA2.
    Reset the router to factory defaults.
    Contact your ISP about any changes they have made.