• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Internet/data connection a bit iffy?

JimR123

Nov 15, 2009
UK
Hi,

I've had a Hero for a few weeks now, and while most things are great, I'm finding the internet connection very unreliable.

For example, if I try to use the browser to view a website, often it says it can't find the page, even for www.google.com, and this is using a bookmark so I know it's a valid address.

Often in the Market, it says it doesn't have a connection and to retry or cancel.

I am usually connected via wi-fi, either at home or at the office, so I know the wi-fi connection is good, and both have been tested thoroughly with my iPhone 3G.

It's almost as if I have to wait for something to happen before I can use the net, but I make sure the wifi signal symbol appears before I try anything.

Why could my data connection be so unstable?

Problem seems the same on work wifi and home wifi.

If I turn wi-fi off, it seems to work fine about 90% of the time. With wifi on, it works fine about 20% of the time.

One consistent thing I've noticed, is that in the browser, trying to browse to a website, such as youtube.com, the progress bar sits at about 10% for ages, and then either fails with a "website is down" type message, or I cancel it out coz it takes so long to do nothing.

It's almost as if it's a DNS issue or something. I suggest that coz it seems to be the first "block" of the progress bar that it gets stuck on.

Are there any apps for android that I can use to test network connections and stuff? It would be nice if I could do a "ping" like in Windows, coz then I could see how long it takes to convert a name into an ip address, then how slow the response is from the server.

If there is an issue with my routers (a netgear at work, and a bt business hub at home), it only affects the Hero, and absolutely no other devices.

Upvote 0
JimR123 and chriswh, this is likely to be an issue with your modems. The Hero does have issues with some modems.

Below are some suggestions to fix the issue, it demands going into your router settings.

If you have an old router that only supports 802.11b, then thats the problem. Get one that supports 802.11g, and set it to that, not 802.11n.

if you have G-mode (i.e. 802.11g) *only* set on your WAP/router, change it to B/G mixed mode.

On a side note I suffer this issue at work, and not being able to touch router settings I am stuck with no WiFi at work.

Upvote 0
I think that the Hero simply doesn't like some routers very much, I've got a Linksys WAG54G2 and performance is very hit and miss, sometimes just wont do anything until I reset the router, no rhyme or reason behind it, just random times, works fine on other wireless connections and everything else works fine at home!

It's a strange one indeed, think about swapping my router, see if it makes any difference, pain in the arse though! :mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones