1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General internet Display

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Chitungweeza, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Chitungweeza

Chitungweeza Lurker
    None

Apr 16, 2011
    Bristol
    Can anyone please explain the display on the home screen when connected to the internet.
    It is accompanied by two arrows flashing up and down and sometimes appears as "G" other times as "E" but just lately I have been getting "H" and pages from the net are downloading much faster when this is showing.

Advertisement

2. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    G, E, 3G and H refer to the bandwidth or connection speed when connected to the internet via your phone's mobile data connection.

G (GPRS) and E (EDGE) are 2G technologies. 3G and H (HSPDA) are 3G technologies.

Generally, speedwise:

GPRS is up to 56 kilobits per second
    EDGE is up to 236 Kbps
    3G is up to 384 Kbps
    HSDPA is up to 14.4 Megabits per second

It's entirely possible to have a slow connection on a high bandwidth, but H should represent the fastest connection for 3G phones.

3. Chitungweeza

Chitungweeza Lurker
    None

Apr 16, 2011
    Bristol
    Thanks very much for your reply, but what determines the speed I am getting? is it down to the pull on the network? I think that I have only ever had the "H" appear once or twice, and I use the phone in a lot of different locations, ie city centre where I would expect a good signal

4. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    What speed you get is dependent on where you are and the capacity of that particular part of the network (or how many other people are connected at the same time).

Cities and urban areas are more likely to have 3G than remote countryside areas. It can also depend on your network provider - some provide more coverage and better speeds than others.

Chitungweeza likes this.
Tags: