• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Internet help

nekta

Lurker
Jun 14, 2010
I am going to Spain next week and was warned if by the o2 people that I could be hit hard if I am using data abroad.

Can I just have some help to make sure I am not using it while I am there, is just switching off the wifi and 3g connections enough or do I need to do something else too?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated!

do you need to actually use your phone for making and receiving calls or do you just need it in case of emergency?

if you don't really need it, then you can do what kboya suggests and that should sort you out.

i've only had my desire a few weeks and i'm also still trying to find out how to limit the phone to just making and receiving calls (leaving the mobile data switched on) without allowing the system tools and various apps to connect to the network servers.

i've yet to find a definitive way of making sure that the phone is not running up huge bills in the background.

Upvote 0
If u only want to make calls n texts u do not require mobile data on. That it is on, and u want it on, suggests u want data too.

sorry. my bad. typo.

i meant to say that i have mobile data OFF but when i turn off background data (menu > settings > accounts and sync > background data) i get the following warning:

"Disabling background data extends battery life and lowers data use. Some applications may still use the background data connection".

any ideas what that means and which apps "always" need access?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones