• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Internet of Desire - Can only ever get GPRS, never 3G,EDGE,HSPDA??

I have the very same problem.
I am on Orange (israel).
My SIM is 3G (It was in HTC touch cruise and hsdpa worked there).

I tried any option I can think of in the APN / mobile network settings with no luck.
If I set it to "WCDMA only" I lose a connection bar at all (no line, maybe orange israel doesn't support WCDMA ?) when I put it to "GSM Only" or WCDMA/GSM auto I get the line. The icon for data connection is 2 arrows and G. I downloaded speedtest.net app and got ~40kbps speed for download so it's definitely GPRS only data link.

I have HSPDA coverage in my area (touch cruise had hsdpa speeds in my house) so there should be no problem with it. I tried checking in urban areas with good network cover - no luck, only GPRS speeds.

APN settings needed to get my connection up are:
APN:uinternet
anything else is default, my friend had G1 and hsdpa worked fine with this settings.

My Desire was purchased in Canada and sent to me so I am in trouble getting any support for it as there is no official seller of this phone here in Israel.

Any help or ideas how I may try to debug the problem is very appreciated.

Upvote 0
mine is also a bit stubborn regarding this issue. i'm on orange as well. from my experience it really does depend on the signal strength. in my back yard you'd be lucky to get one bar of 3g but a couple of yards down the road in the car park and the phone will roar to life with full 3g+ speeds. it is a bit wierd though. would definately say it's them not the phones. there are just soooooo many people these days using mobile internet and phone internet that the masts are totally overloaded and i think sometimes you just have to wait your turn for a portion of high speed service.

Upvote 0
Hey folks, I've just googled for this exact issue and found this thread having just joined the Orange network with my HTC Desire HD. I can only get GPRS access, which is so slow. I've checked and I have a 3G sim, and my network is set to WCDMA/GSM auto - set it to WCDMA only and I get no signal at all. I've tried this at home and at work. Work shouldn't be a problem as we have a mobile anttenna outside our building! The guy sitting next to me is on the 3 network and he gets the full 3G speed. Is there anything else I can try or do I have to tell Orange that I'm not paying for this!

Upvote 0
Don't know how it works in the UK, but in France we need to call our carriers and tell them to add the "calling plan option" for whatever smartphone (iPhone/Android/RIM...) we're using.
It took me three good days to finally find a knowledgeable help desk person to figure that out for me; before that it was "it's your phone....it's your neighborhood.....it's the network...."

Upvote 0
Theres is a setting you can check....

Goto Menu-> Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks ..

In here the is a setting "Network Mode" with 3 options to select from "WCDMA only", "GSM only" and "GSM/WCDMA auto" ... For 3G/HSDPA to work it needs to be either set to the 1st or 3rd setting... If yours is set to "GSM only" you wont get anything better then the G symbol which is GPRS (2g). Its worth a check, if its set to anything other than "GSM only" then the issue must lie elsehwere..

Thanks a ton mate, I was struggling with my new HTC One X and your solution to change from GSM to GSM/WCDMA did the trick.

cheers
Arvind

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones