• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Internet pass through not working :(

vics

Lurker
Jan 20, 2011
Hey all, i need some help understand whats going on! i have connected my DHD to my laptop once and the internet pass through work beautifully, but when i went to connect it the second time it wouldn't do it! The phone seems to hang.......

A connection is made as the laptop shows this but after a couple of mins the connection is dropped. I have run a diagnostic on the connection made by the phone and i get a message to say that "The network adaptor 'Local Area Connection 4' does not have a valid IP configuration"

I have factory reset the handset and have uninstalled HTC sync and installed it again but again no connection, have tried to repair the connection but to no avail there either.

So how could the phone have connected once and then just decided it didn't want to do it anymore and if someone could shed some light and a solution to fix the problem that would be lovely as i will be using it alot once i get it up and running.

Tech stuff: Laptop OS - Vista Home SP2
HTC Desire HD OS 2.2
Most upto date HTC sync which works with all the other usb options other than internet pass through. :(

Urm not sure what else to put but am happy to answer if anymore info would help!

Thank you very much.

Additional info to the above, have just looked in device manager with the handset plugged in and there does not seem to be any sight of the phone in network adapters now to be honest i am not sure if i am ment to but this to me could be the problem!!

Thank you :)
Hello mate, I am having the same issue, first time when i connected to my laptop, it all seemed great...but it was the last time it ever worked, I wonder what might have stopped it from connecting again.

Upvote 0
I just figured out how to solve this problem of internet pass through on Desire HD....

I was having the same issue, first time internet pass through worked just fine but did not work afterward so here is what solved this for me...

1. First make sure you have installed latest version of HTC Sync then plug in your android phone in the same usb port as when u first used internet pass through..wait till it says can't connect internet pass trough but don't disconnect ur phone

2.Now keep the phone connected and right click on my computer and select "Manage"..
3.Select "Device Manager" tab and click on "Network Adapter" to expand it there should be two or more internet adapters..
4.Right click on the one called "HTC Remote NDIS Based Device" and Enable it.....that's it..
Now try to activate internet pass through on your android it should work...Enjoy

Reactions: adnann786
Upvote 0
Hi, first-time poster.

Very helpful suggestions above.

I followed your steps Challs, but it wasn't working for me. I adapted it a bit; after opening up the network adapter section in the disc management window, I waited and waited and eventually the 'cannot connect' message was shown on the phone. I went to right click, but the phone was gone.

I did it all again but this time didn't wait. I right-clicked, chose 'disable' then as soon as that was done I right-clicked and chose 'enable' and it has worked the once.

It doesn't work a second time, but then I've not found anything that does yet.

Desire HD, HTC Sync 3.0, Android 2.2

Upvote 0
I tried to use my phone for this for the first time this week (as my wifi was temporarily down).

The network manager said it was connected and it showed the data upload/download signal in notifications window (where my wifi signal normally is shown), my chat featured showed as online for about a minute but then stated "not connected" and I couldn't browse at all.

Disconnecting and reconnecting showed the data connection signal but couldn't get "online" at all.

Upvote 0
Hey all, i need some help understand whats going on! i have connected my DHD to my laptop once and the internet pass through work beautifully, but when i went to connect it the second time it wouldn't do it! The phone seems to hang.......

A connection is made as the laptop shows this but after a couple of mins the connection is dropped. I have run a diagnostic on the connection made by the phone and i get a message to say that "The network adaptor 'Local Area Connection 4' does not have a valid IP configuration"

I have factory reset the handset and have uninstalled HTC sync and installed it again but again no connection, have tried to repair the connection but to no avail there either.

So how could the phone have connected once and then just decided it didn't want to do it anymore and if someone could shed some light and a solution to fix the problem that would be lovely as i will be using it alot once i get it up and running.

Tech stuff: Laptop OS - Vista Home SP2
HTC Desire HD OS 2.2
Most upto date HTC sync which works with all the other usb options other than internet pass through. :(

Urm not sure what else to put but am happy to answer if anymore info would help!

Thank you very much.

if you still have this issue, i tried this solution and it works for me:
DHD should be plugged in the PC
1- go to devices manager, under Network adapters
2- you will see "HTC Remote NDIS based Device"
3- uninstall the driver
4- unplug the device and then plug it witj internet pass through

Reactions: myusername123
Upvote 0
if you still have this issue, i tried this solution and it works for me:
DHD should be plugged in the PC
1- go to devices manager, under Network adapters
2- you will see "HTC Remote NDIS based Device"
3- uninstall the driver
4- unplug the device and then plug it witj internet pass through

Has anyone else tried this suggestion?

I don't want to uninstall the driver and then later realise I'll need it and don't know where/how to get it back!! :(

Upvote 0
Reactions: ThirstyVamp
Upvote 0
Can you not download the drivers, chuck a copy on a CD in case you need them in future?

A quick google search and I found this - DriverMax - Network Adapters - HTC Corporation - HTC Remote NDIS based Device Computer Driver Updates

if it helps?

Thanks for this.

Anyway I can't uninstall it, cuz everytime I do so, the Computer Management screen just freezes and crashes! Even if I try to do something else, like Disable the HTC network adapter, it would freeze too... :thinking:

Upvote 0
Thanks for this.

No worries!! :)

Anyway I can't uninstall it, cuz everytime I do so, the Computer Management screen just freezes and crashes! Even if I try to do something else, like Disable the HTC network adapter, it would freeze too... :thinking:

Sorry, but can't help then - don't use my phone in this way! Perhaps someone else will be able to shed some light on this!! :D

Upvote 0
Hi,

to get this working on windows 7.

connect device as internet pass through
go to network connections, set phone - HTC Remote NDIS device to auto DHCP
select the network connection where the internet comes from
open properties on this and then select the sharing tab
select allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection
and then select the connection to your phone.

Works fine for me, not on every attempt but on most!!! :party:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones