1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Internet questions and wi-fi hotspot?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lenemarieo, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Lenemarieo

Lenemarieo Lurker
    None

Jun 1, 2011
    So i got my HTC Desire S about 5 days ago and i couldn't be happier, the only thing that is bugging me is that the internet is not working when i want it to.

I use the wireless network we have at home and while it works completely fine on my computer, it won't work on my phone. I have both the wireless network to my house and my mobile network on at the same time on my phone (could that be the problem?)

but then i resently tried the "Wi-fi hotspot" and with that the internet works great but i'm worried if maybe it costs money?

and i also have some other questions regarding internet on HTC Desire S:

- Is it something wrong with my phone since internet won't work?
    - Does WI-FI hotspot cost money?
    - If i forget to turn off the wireless and mobile network on my cell phone and then go out to the mall or at a friends house, will that cost money?

Advertisement

2. Ravin Dave

Ravin Dave Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    Male
    Blackpool, UK
    Hi Lenemarieo,

Glad you're enjoying your new Desire S. :)

Firstly, having the mobile data and Wi-fi both turned on will make no difference. In fact, it will use wi-fi when available and 3g when not.

If you're using wi-fi hotspot, then the data used by anything tethered, will come out of your data allowance for the month. Just be sure that your carrier allows this first tho.

As for the wireless not working connecting to your home router, there could be a number of factors why it doesn't work. Does your phone show as connecting to your home network at all. More detail would be needed on this one, but just as a heads up, I have both the Desire and the Desire S, and neither work on my Linksys home router. Everywhere else it is fine. Seems the HTC phones do not work well on Linksys equipment from the reading I have done.

As for leaving the wireless on all the time, the only thing you will suffer is a quicker drain to your battery. No extra cost will be involved.

Tags: