• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Internet troubles

pbf98

Android Expert
Oct 16, 2011
MN
I am usually able to deal with problems I encounter with my computers and internet when it comes down to it, but today the internet here in my home is just horrid.

it only affects new pages, once a site has loaded then it will work almost perfectly fine unless opened in a new tab then you will have to wait for ever and most times it will time out multiple times.

I have restarted my router and I have let the router stand unplugged for 5 minutes and neither had an affect on the responsiveness.

When I ping from cmd it times out, and when I do a speedtest via speedtest.net i get a low ping because the page has already been loaded, but the initial loading of the page is also just ridiculous.

Also to note experiencing this on all devices, not just one computer.

Any ideas what could be causing this problem and a possible fix before I try contacting my ISP?

Thanks

Check your router logs - someone could be hammering your IP address trying ot get in, such as b/c of a torrent file, or something.

Also try restarting your modem.

Finally, might try using an alternate DNS server, which is (I suspect) The real culprit here.

haha when i said router i meant modem, sorry for that confusion. Also have checked logs and theres nothing out of the ordinary. I am unfamiliar with using a different DNS server could you provide a link or description?

Thanks for the response

Upvote 0
I believe that a popular DNS would be something like open dns... I don't know the address off the top of my head, but I wanna say that google has one at 8.8.8.8...

As far as DNS, domain name system. It does the whole ip to domain name conversion...

so androidforums.com = 173.192.24.228

Also, have you done anything with your hosts file in the past? I'm guessing that's not it, because I think that you just wouldn't be able to get to the pages....

Reactions: pbf98
Upvote 0
Thanks for the posts everyone, the situation has resolved itself finally but I will be keeping these links for future reference.. I didn't even know what a dns server did really until now haha so in this new light it does seem that the likely suspect was the DNS.
Again thanks to all :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones