• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Internet (WiFi&GSM) randomly stops working until reboot

wildetudor

Apr 13, 2011
My Samsung S7 Edge (running Android 7.0) has, for a while, been having the following problem: every so many days, without any obvious triggering cause, the internet ceases to work - in any app, and both on WiFi and on mobile connectivity. Things are only back to normal (i.e. the phone receives data through its WiFi/3G connection) if I restart the phone.

This occurs maybe once every 2 days or so, and is of course very disruptive. I always let the phone install OS updates but it doesn't look like any of them fixes this bug.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Reactions: sweetndreemy73
Thanks! When the connection is lost during those random times, it is lost not just for the stock browser but for ALL apps. As I said, a restart fixes it, but I've already grown tired of doing this every day. Very surprising that this isn't a more discussed problem, which does in fact suggest that it might be something particular to my phone/configuration.

Upvote 0
Don't know if the OP ever found a solution but my S7 has done the same for some time. The only thing I can associate it with is after an update early in 2017 when I started having the issue.

I've tried everything: reset, cleared cache, new SIM, etc. Same issue, no internet, no messages come through, no browser, search engine, nothing, WiFi or mobile data, until a reboot. I've searched many times trying to find an answer and tried various suggestions. I've seen quite a few S7 and Edge users with this problem and so far I've not found a fix.

And it's random. Can be every day day to every other day. Very aggravating. Been going on most of 2017.

Upvote 0
I'm afraid I have indeed still been experiencing these issues, and unfortunately have not had time to try any but the simplest solutions that have been kindly suggested to me on forums. Lately I haven't noticed the problem occur that much, but it's probably just a fluke.

For what it's worth, I paste below the complete list of suggestions that I've been given from various sources, including friends - maybe you will have the necessary time to try and fix your phone (I didn't yet, and the Android developers clearly don't have time to fix & test their code eithera!!):

• Try delete your cache and then selectively disable your installed apps (half and the the next half etc) till the problem is isolated. it is very likely a problem caused by a corrupted cache of a misbehaving app.

• Follow instructions here to activate the safe mode. If it is fine in safe mode then it indicates that some installed app is the culprit

• Did you tried cleaning cache and dalvik from recovery sometimes it gets messed up after OS update.

• Disabling ipv6 settings: Go to Settings >> Mobile Settings >> APN settings and edit your APN-settings. Disable/remove IPv6 and save it.

• Toggling to 2g/3g to bypass connection drops: As the issue has also been reported to have been attributed to a bug in LTE radio, changing the setting from lte mode to edge/hpsa mode can temporarily resolve the drop issues, and saves from rebooting device.

• reseting APN settings to default

• switching SIM cards

• send the device to service centre to get it checked and perhaps fixed.

Upvote 0
I'm afraid I have indeed still been experiencing these issues, and unfortunately have not had time to try any but the simplest solutions that have been kindly suggested to me on forums. Lately I haven't noticed the problem occur that much, but it's probably just a fluke.

For what it's worth, I paste below the complete list of suggestions that I've been given from various sources, including friends - maybe you will have the necessary time to try and fix your phone (I didn't yet, and the Android developers clearly don't have time to fix & test their code eithera!!):

• Try delete your cache and then selectively disable your installed apps (half and the the next half etc) till the problem is isolated. it is very likely a problem caused by a corrupted cache of a misbehaving app.

• Follow instructions here to activate the safe mode. If it is fine in safe mode then it indicates that some installed app is the culprit

• Did you tried cleaning cache and dalvik from recovery sometimes it gets messed up after OS update.

• Disabling ipv6 settings: Go to Settings >> Mobile Settings >> APN settings and edit your APN-settings. Disable/remove IPv6 and save it.

• Toggling to 2g/3g to bypass connection drops: As the issue has also been reported to have been attributed to a bug in LTE radio, changing the setting from lte mode to edge/hpsa mode can temporarily resolve the drop issues, and saves from rebooting device.

• reseting APN settings to default

• switching SIM cards

• send the device to service centre to get it checked and perhaps fixed.
I've done a full factory reset twice and installed only the basics and still had the issue. I've cleared cache and dalvik cache multiple times. Just had the SIM replaced two weeks ago. Can't change APN settings or change network as it's AT&T and they think they're smarter than the general public so they disable these features. So I added new APN settings and it didn't work. Then I found the code to change to LTE which you then need to reboot and it changes back after it reboots.

AT&T says these settings are built-in and they can't change them. In other words, AT&T shouldn't sell smartphones cause they aren't smart enough to work them. LOL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones