1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Interrupts on Android for Real_Time system programming

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Mecasickle, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Mecasickle

Mecasickle New Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Hey Guys,

I've been studying the Android code and SDK for about 2 months, so I'm a little familiarized with the environment. Recently, I've been given a semester project for my Real_Time Systems course, on doing an elemetnary like "RT operating system" for a microcontroller.

Microcontrollers, are chosen usually because they can handle Interrupts, by their input pins or by internal CLock (Timers). I however, want to make my project using the Android SDK and my Android phone, but I really can't find any information on the web or on the Android development page on managing Interruptions, which I think is essential for a REal_Time system.

Am I missing something? Or is it not possible to get any deeper in the android programming code to manage interruptions??

Thanks a lot guys!

Advertisement

2. kevin@teslacoilsw

kevin@teslacoilsw Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2010
    WidgetLocker developer
    Chicago
    Android is not an RTOS and at the Android SDK layer is pretty far removed from the hardware. You might be able to do some pseudo-real-time like things at the Linux executable layer of Android, or the kernel module layer, and have your Android SDK app communicate with your other real-time part.
    If you need actual real-time, you can look into RTLinux. (Or one of the many microcontroller RTOSes)