• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

intro

I'm a 62 year old Methodist preacher currently on disability. A few years back, I discovered the wonderful world of Linux using Ubuntu. Using Ubuntu, I saw the usefulness of a good community. No, I could not (well, I could, but I'd pay for it, and I liked free) just pick up a phone and ask for help, but I found that the community would answer questions. It allowed me to learn and take part in solving my own problem.

Then . . . I bought a smart phone. Didn't think I needed it. I found I loved reading on this . . . Nook, Kindle, Google books, and lots of public domain books available. Then, the email, web browsing, movies and other ways of wasting time was fun with this too. I bought a ASUS transformer tablet because I want to do some productivity work, and found that I really needed help. And I am learning, that my Ubuntu on the laptop was relatively crash free, such is not the case in the Android world, though Android is based on linux. It may be linux of a sorts, but it is not Ubuntu. I ultimately have the goal of rooting the machine, and then running some form or linux and open office or libre office for productivity. Productivity is just email, writing or working personal finance with libre office. I will keep open the possibility that for my purposes I may come to like some of the android productivity apps as well as libre office. I am not afraid of root. I'm root on my linux machines, and haven't ruined anything I can't fix yet. However, I have taken every effort to understand what I'm doing before I jump in.

So, I hope I can find some help here, and am able to offfer a little as I well.

It's very good to have you here at Android Forums. Welcome cloyd. You will enjoy clicking into the discussion area we have for your Asus tablet. The area is where the users of your tablet hang out and exchange tips and tricks for your tablet. There will also be a link within that area dedicated to rooting your tablet and the different roms etc that are available. The information is specific to your exact tablet and Asus makes a number of different Transformer tablets. With that in mind, I'm leaving you a link to a list of our Android tablet discussion areas. Just open the list and then give your exact tablet name a click to join the correct area. Have fun and I hope you will gain from your time invested here at Android Forums.
Android Tablets & MIDs - Android Forums

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones