• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
The banner keeps prompting me to say HI and stop lurking, and I'm easily annoyed, so I guess I'll say Hi.

My name is Scarlette, I have an HTC Sensation, which is rooted and currently running AOKP; and a Nexus 7 running Paranoid Android. I've always been kinda geeky (like I always dual boot a linux OS on every Windows computer I own, etc) and I've been rooting my phones for years. However, I never got into changing roms and such because I was too scared I'd break something. I don't like experimenting until I've done research and have a firm grasp of what I'm doing. So, after a lot of research and patience, I finally decided to jump in head first and flash a new rom for the first time... and I love it! I haven't encountered too many difficulties, a few flashing issues, but all is well and my phone is like a completely new device. :)

So far I've tried CM10 (Liked, but ate battery and had random reboots), JellyBam (ate battery worse than CM10), Paranoid Android, and finally AOKP. I've really enjoyed AOKP, but I may still try MIUI yet. Anyone have favorites for the Sensation? Also, what's the deal with kernels? I'm interested in experimenting, but again, I'm afraid I'll screw something- and my only back up phone right now is an iPhone 3gs and a MyTouch 4g with a cracked screen, so I can't really afford to break my Sensation right now.

I understand flashing kernels is not necessary, but I'm enjoying being able to do whatever I want with MY phone. Solely rooting & using general customizations (like font & boot animation changes) was good for a while, I was content with the ability to access MY phone's files, but flashing new ROMs is even better. I'm hooked.

So, any advice or suggestions for me? From your experiences...

Thanks for reading & such!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones