• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Introducing myself...

johne1sr

Lurker
Feb 4, 2014
Hi All! I'm John in Houston, Texas, USA, and I'm new to Android, but not programming. To give you an idea of my background, I began on BASIC and 6502 assembly programming, then dBASE , Clipper, VB, SQL, PL/SQL (Oracle), and then I jumped ship from Windows to Linux (over 10 years ago) and went from programming to networking (some shell scripting, but nothing heavy on Linux programming).

So, I'm a dinosaur to most of you. and admittedly, I needed a break... as burn-out set in. Twenty years of learning, re-learning, and staring at cathode ray tubes will do that to a person. Now, I'm ready to capitalize on my IT skills again, and hope to do it working for myself, or if I meet someone local that wants to partner up, I'm open to that.

A look at the InfoWorld BOSSIE Awards and I see the IT world has really taken off in the past 2 or 3 years--Android in about the last 18 months! Reading about devices that can scan your fingerprints from 10 feet away.... WOW!! Maybe I will see the Jetsons come to life, yet, before my time is up.

Thanks for this forum and thanks in advance for all the help I hope to find here. I remember what it was like being young and excited by the technology. So, please, don't be bashful to tell me how smart you are and share your knowledge and experience, as I know how much work it takes to gain that knowledge and experience.

Best regards, all,

John

Hello johne1sr. Welcome to Android Forums. I'm glad you decided to join us today and I do hope we don't disappoint you. These forums are quite friendly and full of sharp youngsters as well as many industry dinosaurs. :) I fall into the latter. You might be interested in checking out the forums we have for the developers. Here is a link:
Android Development - Android Forums
We will likely have a discussion area for your particular Android device. That's always a fun spot to visit as well. I hope you will take the time to relax and enjoy these forums.
If you have a particular interest and not certain where you might find it's discussion area... do let us know. We'd love to provide a link for we want you to enjoy as well as gain from your time invested here. Thanks for joining the community.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones