• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Invalid SMS recipient when composing SMS

dlemma

Apr 20, 2010
Hi All,
I'm struggling with my Desire when composing a new SMS.

If I open the Messages application, click on New message and then select a recipient, I get the error "Invalid recipient".

If instead I reply to an SMS or select a contact from the contact list and choose to create an SMS, then the recipient is filled in correctly and I don't get any error.

Is anyone aware of the possible reason for this and how can I get it fixed?
Thanks for your help

I've checked, there is no space before the number.

Actually most of the number are in the following format:

(+XX) YYY.ZZZZZZZ i.e: (+12) 12.1234567

Never had any problem with any phone, and even with the Desire it works fine, but only if I open the contact, select the mobile number and then click on sending an SMS.

If instead I open from the messages directly and then try to select the recipient, I get the error message.:mad:

Any clue?:thinking:

Upvote 0
But that sounds strange. That's the format I'm using on other phones (I'm synching all of them through Exchange) and I'm not having any issue on the other phones.

On the Desire, if I open the contact list, choose a number and select to send an sms, the recipient is found to be valid, I have no issue.

If instead I'm opening a new sms first and the I try to select the recipient, I get this error.

To me, this is clearly a programming error on the Desire, nothing to do with the numbers.

Has anyone else got the same trouble?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Just done a hard reset on my Desire, synched again the contacts from exchange and tried to compose a new SMS.
I still have the same issue, it's keeping getting me invalid recipient. :(
The only way I can make it work is by openin the contact list, select the contact, enter into the details with all phone numbers listed and from there click on send SMS.

It's really annoying, and the reply I got from HTC support is useless (the usual standard reply to reset the phone).

Still the same old story: HTC ignores their customers, way behind Apple customer service....:eek:

Upvote 0
It's the default message app.
Today I've also tried installing Handcent, but got the same problem with it, then uninstalled it.
Apparently it has to do with a function that is supposed to convert the phone numbers from (+12) 123.1234567 into +121231234567.

This functions works perfectly from the Dialer (if I select a contact from the Dialer I can call him/her without any issue) and also when opening a contact first from the contact list and then selecting to compose an SMS (also in this case it works perfectly).

Any clue on how it could be fixed?
After the reply I got via mail from HTC (hard-reset the phone:eek:) today I called their customer service and, after 15 mins waiting on the line, a lady told me that I should bring my phone to their assistance center for getting it checked :thinking:

Getting more and more annoying:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
To fix this use a root explorer, I used ES File Explorer.

1 - Browse and open the file feature.xml (normally located in SYSTEM\CSC\ folder but may be somehwere else)

2 - In line <CscFeature_Message_MaxRecipientLenghtAs>10< change the value from 10 to 99

3 - Save and reboot (must reboot after changing for changes to take effect)

Man, you're a life-saver, no bloody kidding :rob:

I signed up just to say a BIG FAT THANK YOU! I tried many other solutions on other forums, but this one did actually work. I don't know why the default CSC feature file is badly configured this way!! Stupid google.

Thanks again :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones