• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Invoke app from lock screen

Hi!

So I've never tried anything regarding android development, but I was asked to create an simple app for my gf's summer camp. They basically want to somehow suddenly start a video on like 5 locked phones. (As if they got hacked in a movie and there was this threatening video message played simultaneously on all devices...). So I got android studio running, played with the controlls for a while and I think I got the part with the video activity running pretty well. But I now got stuck on trying to invoke this activity from locked screen. My idea is that there will be something running (service, I suppose) in the background.. waiting for signal (timer or something like periodic checking of some web server I could create). And when it's time comes, it will invoke the video activity from locked screen.

Could someone help me out and give me an idea, how can I accomplish that (mainly the locked screen invoke part)? Even terms and concepts to look for will be very much appriciated!!

Thank you guys in advance <3

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones