• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iOS-> Android transplant.

Jul 5, 2010
Hi. just saying hello to everybody:)

Myself smartphone background wise: started with an HTC tilt a few years back, the battery life and windows mobile drove me nuts, so picked up the iphone 1g, was a great phone, jailbroke it from the get go. After a while i noticed really really unstable phone action on the jailbroke iphone, reset it, found it boring, went back to jailbreaking it, edge wasn't too bad, then the 3g came out, picked up teh 3G, at first the 3g service was great, especially after an edge->3g upgrade. more and more users came on and 3g got worse. I liked the phone, jailbroke it, then when good updates come out i stopped jailbreaking it to risk bricking it(had a few scares, luckily, i'm not your average iPhone user so i was able to fix it myself:)). about 6 months ago the home button broke, so basically i had a radically crippled phone. Was looking into the 4g, and the android. the customizable nerdity factor of the android is what got to me, so picked up an HTC Evo, very happy, and now a nerd even more going on forums saying hello to everyone

Oh during the iphone proccess i was reading up, learning a bit on objective C and iPhone app programming

the quality and make of the iPhone drove me nuts. of ALL apple products. shortly after getting hte 3g, i picked up a macbook, and had a slew of problems. Me i'm from the IT world, and like cold concrete facts, not a whole lot of BS of "whats upp brooo how you like you'ree apple," so customer service really got annoying, really really annoying.

all in all, i'm frustrated with apple, and happy I went to Android, I'm still not a PC fan...

I got into apple products and PC products after working in the IT world, and after working, I really didn't want to mess around with the same OS in my free time. doesn't seem very much like free time. After a while though with the iPhone i just got frustrated not being able to do things effectively. same with my macbook, while it's a great fluid OS, I just hate not being able to access certain features i'm just used to. and it sucks to say the fluidity of the OS's are from dumbing down the product, and simply offering less.

etc etc..

Very happy with Android, and the HTC EVO. I've only had it since last Friday, but so far i've customized the F out of it, installed an APK or two manually, threw in some battery saving items. And I am really enjoying it. The battery life i really feel is going to going to get me frustrated. But with all the power comes responsibility...:)

another reason I got the EVE, and switched to android, is steve jobs whole comments on adobe with flash. and trying to force HTML5 on everyone, kind of ridiculous. Oh yea and the annoying as hell apple marketing( I think their products are great, but they are ridiculous)

I've been also looking to start programming apps, I have some programming background, really seems a good interesting field to get into, maybe some project management of app development, or something of the sort. I am often going through 1000 web pages on this topic, learning as much as possible, so if i enjoy doing it on my free time why not do it for work.

Apart from the phone aspect me myself, I've worked in higher education in the technology aspect of the university, from course management systems, tech training of faculty/students to tech classroom design and implementation. I have learned from this work to keep on working on the practicality of technology, and not get too caught up in the wow factor. So for the phone, i am very interested to see it's practical applications, and how it will progress on the future. There is iTunes university, but I think with the low cost of some android devices, the Android OS will be more useful, and can help close the digital divide:)

Been scouring the internet to also find a job related to mobile device development, marketing/related. it's a really exciting industry:)

But i think that's about it for now.

and yes, i'm a very happy transplant. down with the iPhone(I think i hate it more that my home button broke, didn't fix it because of new android's coming out and 4g coming out, and didn't jailbreak because without the home button, hard reset is a pain).

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones