1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

iOS user wanting to switch...which phone???

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Darkverto, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Darkverto

Darkverto Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    Hey all...

Wanting to switch to a android phone after using iPhones for the last few years, but I need some help picking a phone. I've been doing a ton of research on all the top end phones and still can't come to a conclusion. I'm currently with AT&T and out of contract... I was looking at the s2 and the skyrocket but both seem to have their goods/bads....lte or better CPU. Then I was also looking at the verizon nexus but I'm not sure about switching to Verizon just for that phone. I am in Chicago so lte is available either way. I was almost sold on the skyrocket and then I see that the galaxy note is coming to the US, but who knows when... My main concern with is I want a phone that will hold up and be updated(ics) for a year or two and 4.3 or greater screen. Just looking for someone to help push me over the edge to one of these options.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Well SGS2, Sensation XE and the RAZR are the three best phones out there (and yes I am including the Galaxy Nexus as below those three) IMO. The Skyrocket is an SGS2 variant, but if LTE is important to you, I'd take that over the three I already mentioned. The differences in CPU and GPU shouldn't matter much unless you are into HD and 3D gaming and want the latest and greatest in those areas.

3. Darkverto

Darkverto Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    I guess my biggest concern about the skyrocket is possibility of lack of support/ics with hd version and note coming out. I'd wait for the note if it was coming out in 2 weeks or something but it could be months...

4. UssjTrunks

UssjTrunks Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 10, 2011
    The Note is huge. There is a good chance you might not like it after you've held it.

The S2 is currently the best Android phone. It should be getting an ICS update soon.

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    The Skyrocket hardware should support ICS since it is after all just an SGS2 variant. The problem would that is its a carrier device, so getting the update is based on the carrier's discretion. An SGS2 can get updates via other methods like flashing the ROM.

On another note, maybe its just me, but getting ICS is not important to me, after I've read about it.

6. Darkverto

Darkverto Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    So the Skyrocket will have faster connection but with less of a support community behind it and the original sg2 will have a bigger support community and faster updates. Still makes my decision tough....can't decide which would be the bigger trade off

7. UssjTrunks

UssjTrunks Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 10, 2011
    Same here. It's really not that appealing.

8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male

In your situation, I'd personally get the skyrocket, since a faster connection is more important to me than getting the ICS update.

9. darkuni

darkuni Android Enthusiast
    None

I love my Galaxy Nexus. So I'll +1 that.

10. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    The cpu differences between the S2 and Skyrocket aren't as great as the blogs make out. The S2 has perhaps a better GPU and that may be of interest if you're thinking about gaming.

Otherwise, I think both are very good phones.

Installing any rom you want (colloquially speaking) requires that the phone be rooted (mostly like jailbreaking an iPhone) and instructions for doing that with the Skyrocket are here -

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...-samsung-skyrocket-all-things-root-guide.html

Independent ICS builds for the Skyrocket are still in alpha/beta stage, not ready for primetime.

The phone's already been committed by Samsung and AT&T to get an official ICS release.

And don't overlook that the best phone is the phone that's best for you. Visit your AT&T store, see how the S2 or Skyrocket feel to you, then visit a Verizon store and check out the RAZR, Rezound and Nexus. Plus, the out-of-the-box interfaces are all a little different.

All of the phones have vocal proponents that their choice is best - and maybe one is really better than others, I couldn't say - but I can say that getting the one that's right for you is best.

Android is all about choice. I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of the top models today.

Those are just opinions. Mostly, I just wanted to chime in and say welcome to the forums and welcome to Android! :)

11. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I'd a play about with one just after Xmas as I'm due an upgrade at the end of this month and it doesn't actually feel that big. That's not to say that after a month I wouldn't be annoyed having to lug something like that about it in my pocket though. I think because it's relatively thin, you don't notice it.