• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help IP Proxy And VNC Listen

chspyder

Lurker
Jul 14, 2011
Ok I am totally stumped... I have the Remote VNC Pro and I am attempting to do what I have done time and time again which is set it to listen for my customers to connect to me. I have (successfully) used Dynamic DNS to make a short URL to my ip. but now suddenly it has stopped working, it gives me the public IP 66.87.89.xxx and a internal aka local IP. 21.52.89.xxx
Did sprint block all outside traffic? I have tried the public IP, tried the local, and when on Wifi that IP, which works, so I know it is not the phone.
I have tried with and without setting the proxy servers to 0.0.0.0:0.

Can you help?

Thanks

lets get on the same page:

so you were able to do this then all of a sudden you cant right?

so did you change or remove anything?

are you rooted?

have you soft reset your device? uninstalled and re installed this app you are using?

could be any number of things. best to do is troubleshoot the phone first since you state you are/were able to use this until recently.

Upvote 0
I was able to do this on evo 4g and evo 3d, I havent used it for a while, so I can not pinpoint when it quit. I am rooted, running clean rom v 2.7 Android version 2.3.4 I was rooted with the same rom before, it has not been working on 2.6 and 2.7 I know for sure.
I have reset multiple times, reloaded roms, hard reset, reloaded again.
No luck.

Before we go too far, can someone verify they can communicate to their phone from a pc via sprint 3g service?
I am primarily interested if it is possible still? Since I am now seeing a proxy on sprints side.

Thanks

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Ok I am totally stumped... I have the Remote VNC Pro and I am attempting to do what I have done time and time again which is set it to listen for my customers to connect to me. I have (successfully) used Dynamic DNS to make a short URL to my ip. but now suddenly it has stopped working, it gives me the public IP 66.87.89.xxx and a internal aka local IP. 21.52.89.xxx
Did sprint block all outside traffic? I have tried the public IP, tried the local, and when on Wifi that IP, which works, so I know it is not the phone.
I have tried with and without setting the proxy servers to 0.0.0.0:0.

Can you help?

Thanks

I think Sprint DID do something.... I run QuickSSHd and DynDNS, and I can no longer ssh to my phone when my data connection is 3G. I suspect Sprint put on a blanket port block.... So 22 is dead. And VNC's 5900 is likely dead as well.

If I were to guess, this all happened the month before the iPhone's release.

Upvote 0
Can anyone confirm any open ports? I am going to test numerous and will post the results. This might be a good sticky on ports sprint has open?

I actually verified from a tech that this might be system wide proxy, if you show your hostname as #IP#.pools.spcsdns.net you probably are not able connect to your phone. If you show only #IP#.spcsdns.net you are free and clear.

Is this against their rules? Or do I have to use logmein ignition now for remote tech support?

Thanks Tons!

Upvote 0
Can anyone confirm any open ports? I am going to test numerous and will post the results. This might be a good sticky on ports sprint has open?

I actually verified from a tech that this might be system wide proxy, if you show your hostname as #IP#.pools.spcsdns.net you probably are not able connect to your phone. If you show only #IP#.spcsdns.net you are free and clear.

Is this against their rules? Or do I have to use logmein ignition now for remote tech support?

Thanks Tons!

interesting. when you say hostname, are you saying the name associated with the public IP address currently assigned to the phone? I tried to do a nslookup on my IPs and neither had hostnames with the domain suffixes you provided above.

I also looked in my EPST menu for anything that might look like that and didn't see anything... Where does one verify that info? And are you saying you can fix it somehow?

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones