• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPad and Nexus 7

You will notice it's a lot easier to hold when reading books (due to it's size and shape). Other then that it will be a similar experience as your iPad just with the Android OS. It's a great little device and for the money it can't be beat, but I don't see to much value in having an iPad and an N7 (unless once again, you need the smaller size for portability etc...). Interested in seeing what you think between the two.

Upvote 0
They exist together nicely. I have both though the iPad is increasingly not MY iPad anymore, which is fine by me. The iPad is nice for a full, web experience where you'll appreciate the larger screen. The Nexus can give the full web experience but you need excellent vision - I find myself zooming on some web pages, though nothing like as much as I would on the phone.

The Nexus is in some ways a better media device. It's great for watching movies, iPlayer, Netflix and so on, with little of the 16:9 screen real-estate wasted. Surprisingly, in spite of less than perfect eyes, real HD is something I do appreciate on a screen of this size!

Upvote 0
After being a long time iPad user, I got tired of the limitations. I love designing themes and customizing icons etc. and this can only be done if jailbroken. I also like to watch all my video movies and tv shows, and you can not access mass storage and play a variety of formats.

Now with Android and Nexus 7, I can do it all. I find that using Apple products feels like you just rent them. With Android, I can move right in and feel at home.

Upvote 0
I have an HP Touchpad with Android on it, my girlfriend has an iPad, and I have a Nexus 7.

I don't use either 10" tablet now; I just find the smaller form factor to be easier to use, and far more comfortable. The Touchpad is now a glorified digital photo frame, and the iPad is something my girlfriend uses when she flies for airport/flight route maps.

Upvote 0
After being a long time iPad user, I got tired of the limitations. I love designing themes and customizing icons etc. and this can only be done if jailbroken. I also like to watch all my video movies and tv shows, and you can not access mass storage and play a variety of formats.

Now with Android and Nexus 7, I can do it all. I find that using Apple products feels like you just rent them. With Android, I can move right in and feel at home.

I feel the same. My wife just got an ipad mini and I wouldn't even think of trading. Not that she has a choice. ;-)

Upvote 0
I have both the iPad 3rd gen, Nexus 7, Mac and PC, and all of them get used depending on where I am in the house. Both the iPad and N7 of their purposes, so it all depends on what you'll do with them. Personally, I enjoy reading on the iPad more than the N7. Text is easier to read on the iPad, yet the N7 is easier to hold.

Apps also have a lot to do with it. The apps are what keeps iOS going, to be honest. I prefer the fluidity and compatibility of the iPad over anything android can deliver. But the N7 can hold its own once the apps catch up to it.

Upvote 0
Admittedly I'm a hard core, cross platform tech addict, that owns far more smartphones, devices, laptops, and other tech gear than is reasonable.... LOL :)

I find that Android ver 4.2.1 as I'm running on my Nexus 7 is simply ideal. Fast, smooth, with nearly every annoyance of prior versions resolved, I cannot say enough good things about the N7 tablet.

As compared to my iPad mini, the Nexus outshines it in every aspect. And this is from a guy that's been using Apple gear for two decades. I'm not an Apple fanboy, nor am I married to any platform. Apple's Apps are a bit more polished and refined than some of their Android counterparts, yet the large mainstream apps like Evernote, Google Maps and others are all just as good if not better.

My iPad 4, was the most impressive tablet I've owned till I got my Nexus 10. Once again, Android has captured my interest unlike any other. I must say that Android is rapidly becoming my mobile OS of choice for both Smartphones and Tablets.

My Nexus 4 is the most impressive smartphone I've owned to date. Just like my N7 this phone is very smooth, fast, and ideal for my usage.

Here's an interesting article I just came across that mirrors my opinion and experience with the latest Nexus devices I have.

An iPhone lover

Upvote 0
I have both the 3rd gen iPad and a nexus 7. Both with the same 32gb storage and wifi only. For me I can find use for both and don't ever compare the devices as I think this would be a silly thing to do. I use both on a daily basis and enjoy them both equally too.
Using my nexus for mostly media related tasks I find it great for watching videos listening to music as I think the sound is slightly better on a nexus. Light web browsing and also the small form factor makes it perfect for reading from.

Now my iPad to me is just as useful as I store all my contacts calendar dates and check/manage all my emails from stock apps on iOS. I feel the iPad runs smoother and also use the large screen to steam video... Mostly using the HDMI out attachment to connect up to my tv. I also think the iPad is better for gaming and as mentioned a few times before the App Store is better in my opinion.

Upvote 0
I've got a 3rd gen iPad and Nexus 7. I picked up the N7 because I had store credit to use up, and I really wanted a "cheap" tablet to take to the gym. My iPad rarely leaves the house because it's so big.

My expectation was I'd keep using my iPad mostly, and use the N7 at the gym or anywhere else I wanted something bigger than my phone but smaller than my iPad. Three weeks later, I barely touch my iPad (probably will end up selling it), because I like the form factor of the N7 better, and Android seems to fit my tablet use style better. I use my tablet mostly for music, reading, and social media and rarely ever play any games.

I'm a little surprised how much I like this thing, and it has me considering switching back to an Android phone.

Upvote 0
I have a nexus 7 and a iPad 4. The iPad is mainly used in the bedroom for video watching and gaming, the nexus 7 is downstairs and used as my everyday tablet. I know its really a waste of time having 2 but I love the iPad and can't go all android and the iPad has certain apps you can't get on android like sky app (uk) (I am waiting for a nexus 4)

Sky App..? Sky Go?

It's available in the Play Store and works great.

Upvote 0
Sky App..? Sky Go? It's available in the Play Store and works great.

Yes, but only on certain devices. (I had it on the nexus 7 but am limited to only 2 devices per account and the iPad looks better) Sky sports app for instance only works on iPad. Most companies in the uk support iPad very well but spurn android or don't put much effort into it, that will change once android tablets improve with popularity, they are still considered my the general public as a bit geeky, however.....I managed to get my mother to go onto the nexus 7 and that device is the game changer.

I have a foot in both camps, no matter what people say general day to day apps are catered for better on apple than android....its just how it is.

I don't understand the thick childish mentality of some folks who think apple is rubbish or indeed android is rubbish. They are great in their own rights.

Upvote 0
It really comes down to which OS you prefer. The Nexus 7 should really be compared to the iPad mini, which is a great device that I prefer to use over my iPad w/ Retina. The only differences I have noticed between the Nexus 7 and iPad mini, besides OS and apps, are:
  • The audio on the Nexus 7, especially for music, seems much better than the iPad or any other mobile device I have used. Both headphones and speakers.
  • The Nexus 7 is slightly smaller than the iPad mini but is thicker and heavier.
  • Waking-up the Nexus 7 with its small edge-mounted button is a little more of a pain than the iPad, with its easily-accessible front button.
Other than that, really iOS vs Android.

Upvote 0
We have an iPad 1, iPad 2 and Nexus 7 and I have an iPhone 5. My wife and son like to use the iPads. I rarely use the iPads anymore after getting the Nexus 7. I will use an iPad if it's two floors away and the iPad is handy. I was planning on buying an iPad Mini 2 but I think that I'm not going to bother.

The iPad Apps library is nice and there are iOS Apps out there that I like to use that aren't available or that don't look as nice on Android compared to iOS but I can use those apps on my iPhone.

The Nexus 7 beats the iPad on portability but is probably comparable there with the iPad Mini (but you asked for and have an iPad, not an iPad Mini). The main advantage to me of the Nexus 7 over my iOS devices is that I can copy a video from my PC to the Nexus 7 and watch it without having to convert it to MP4 and import it into iTunes. If I find a tennis match on YouTube, I can just download it to my PC in FLV, upload it to the Nexus 7 and watch it later on. Some other things that you can do with the Android: hook up a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, set up Cisco anyconnect and use it as a terminal to connect to the office. iOS doesn't recognize mouse devices.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I did an experiment logging into work using VPN and a terminal emulator with the Nexus 7 and the iPad. Both are not really great (I was using all-free software) on displaying a terminal because of resolution limitations but I could get some basic work done. With the iPad, you have to use a finger-wheel to move the cursor around. It works but your finger was awfully busy - much easier to use a mouse on the Nexus 7. If they could crank the resolution up on the Nexus 7 ....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones