• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone 15 will have USB-C

Leaks by 9 to 5 Mac are showing that the iPhone 15 Pro will have USB-C. Following in Android's footsteps as usual!

Article summary:
"The upcoming iPhone 15 Pro is expected to have significant changes in design and features, according to exclusive renders obtained by 9to5Mac. The CAD files used for the renders were provided by a reliable case manufacturer and 3D artist, and show a switch from the Lightning port to USB-C, a more curved frame and glass edges, and a thicker camera bump with larger image sensors. The volume rockers and mute switch also appear to be redesigned. The renders are based on an early CAD model and may not reflect all aspects of the final design."
iphone-15-pro-hero.jpg
iphone-15-pro-cad-fi-1.jpg

Reactions: AugieTN
I still can't tell you what USB-C is a solution to. Idiots who can't properly plug in a Micro USB cable? It's been nothing but headaches (mostly charging issues) on the few devices I tried using with it.

I'll stick with Micro USB. It works every time. You plug it in with the little USB logo facing up, btw.

All this change for the sake of change is tiresome. I want innovation to come back like we had from 2009-14. When OEMs were actually making upgrades instead of feature removals and changing USB again without the consumer demand for it

Upvote 0
If you can get them charging. I always had to plug in twice or thrice before the little charging sound went off and the phone displayed something like '68%, charging rapidly, one hour until full' before bed, then waking up I see it showing '18% use original charger-charging slowly, unknown time remaining'

That happened with tablets, and even a MacBook Pro. The only sure fire way they'd charge was by powering them off. That was awful. USB-C is just the Android Lightning cable. Nobody asked for it so why did it happen? They also seemed more likely to fall out the port after a while too, or just fit very loose.

Upvote 0
Never had a USB c fall out randomly or became loose. It's been solid dating back to my note 10+ and now to my z fold 4.

And it happened because it is called progress. It's just your hate for anything new is blinding you to the advantages of USB c.

Here is a list of innovations that usb c offers:

Upvote 0
Yep it's not because they want to but because they have to. Of course Apple will spin it as being entirely their own wonderful idea.
That will be fun to watch, given that Apple spent a couple of years insisting that the EU standardization will "hold back innovation" (in order to defend their older, slower connection which, and I'm sure this is a pure coincidence, requires any 3rd party accessory manufacturer to pay for a license to use it and acts as a lock-in for iPhone owners as their accessories aren't compatible with anything else). An argument that was even more ironic given that Macbooks and iPad Pros have used USB-C for years, and these days iPhones and the previous generation iPad are the only devices left using Lightning.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
That happened with tablets, and even a MacBook Pro. The only sure fire way they'd charge was by powering them off. That was awful. USB-C is just the Android Lightning cable. Nobody asked for it so why did it happen? They also seemed more likely to fall out the port after a while too, or just fit very loose.
Actually you'll find that people who wanted faster data transfers and charging asked for it (not by name, because the public don't know what tech is in development, but by their requirements).

I have had many USB-C devices (phones, tablets, camera, and yes, 2 Macbook Pros). The only one where the connector became even slightly loose was my Pixel 2, though nothing as bad as you describe, while my wife's older HTC 10 remained rock solid - which lead me to believe that the problem was Google being a bit cheap. The quality of the cable can make a difference too: I've never had a problem with my Anker cables, but cheap cables that manufacturers include can be different (the POS that Samsung included with my phone is essentially useless, doesn't even charge some of my devices). Of course microUSB cables also varied; in fact the most expensive microUSB cable I ever bought would do nothing more than charge a device at low power.

Anyway it's done, the world has moved on, and it's a waste of energy complaining. And I'm old enough to remember similar "who asked for this" complaints when USB was originally introduced (the old joke that it was "plug and pray" rather than "plug and play" hung around for a few years). And when Android phones started using microUSB people asked what was wrong with the established miniUSB that the previous generation of devices (such as my old Motorola RAZR V3) had used.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Never had a USB c fall out randomly or became loose. It's been solid dating back to my note 10+ and now to my z fold 4.

And it happened because it is called progress. It's just your hate for anything new is blinding you to the advantages of USB c.

Here is a list of innovations that usb c offers:
No it's not blind hatred of new. I had major issues with charging devices depending on it. Enough to take them back. Also, I'm not giving up all my older tech just to have ONE cable vs two. At least with Micro-USB I can charge properly, keep one cable and my preferred tech perfectly fine.

Look, I at least tried the 'modern' tech before getting so frustrated with it that I went back to what did work best. Sorry if it doesn't satsify the futurist mindset...

If people were clamoring for it, why does the EU have to mandate it? That's like making the claim that TV viewers wanted Analog TV to die, but it was the FCC that forced it and nobody got a vote.

I wish companies would just go back to satisfying demand and not manipulating it by offering limited selection when upgrade time comes. I want the excitement back is all. Things that feel like upgrades and not simply change for change's sake, and perhaps I wouldn't be such a stick in the mud. But tech lately is boring, stagnant, and not doing anything but making worse implementations of what I already had in 2010. We already had folding screen phones in 2012 (Kyocera Echo), so the Z Fold/Flip ain't nothing but a flawed replacement (it's not innovation it's just redundant and has crease issues still)

Until there are actual upgrades, and features that make it worth it then I'll stay where I am. USB-C is just another solution in search of a problem. A way to promote more #Donglelife

There ain't no advantage to USB-C when I needed my phone charged before work and it took two attempts to plug it in to show it charging, but it just drained while thinking it was charging, and I had 18% when I woke up. I thought it was a phone issue so I bought another and it did the same thing. They only charged when powered off. With the charger they came with. Sorry, but if Micro-USB guarantees a fully charged device I'm gonna use that. Charging speed doesn't matter since I put my phone on charge before bed and take it off when I wake up (it goes an entire day and ends the day with well over 60%)

Also I got removable batteries so I can keep fully-charged spares and that's more portable than keeping up with power banks and more cables. I really have no clue what happened with manufacturing. They make devices intended to be thrown away when the battery dies, but then cite 'helping the environment' by not including a charging brick.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That’s really dirty. Intentionally screwing their customers. They’re REALLY not driving loyalty, but rather animosity with their customer base.
What's "intentionally screwing their customers"? Which post were you replying to, because we've covered a few different things over the course of the thread?

If you mean the original story, the change isn't Apple's choice: they would have preferred to stick with Lightning, even though it is technically inferior to USB-C. They are doing this because of EU regulation. Apple would have liked to stick with Lightning until they had developed a proprietary replacement for it which, like Lightning itself, would keep iPhone accessories incompatible with Android and allow them to charge a fee to anyone who wanted to make accessories that used it.

You could argue that the switch from their original multi-pin connector to Lightning was "intentionally screwing their customers", since that was entirely their choice. But you could also argue that sticking with an inferior legacy connector would also be screwing them. Lightning is slower than USB-C, more limited in the power it delivers, and narrows the range of accessories that iPhones can use with it. So while the shift is bad for someone who has a Lightning-based accessory now, continuing to use Lightning is bad for iPhone owners in other respects - which is exactly the argument Apple used to justify the introduction of Lightning in the first place!

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
The real questions should be "are the iPhone owners even complaining about lightning?" and "If not, what business is it of the EU to force this change even in the USA where they have zero jurisdiction?"

I don't know of anyone who's using Apple products (and sadly, in the USA you see a crap ton more Apple devices than Androids and far more Apple Watches than any other brand) having any issue with Lightning. So the EU should just stick this where the sun don't shine and let companies do what the consumers want. I already hate the EU for their super annoying little cookie popups on so many websites and I'm seeing them in the USA and Cookies have been a thing since 1995. Any regulators need to cease to exist, and this includes the EPA with their joke of an environmental policy. They've become irrelevant and more harmful to the environment in modern times.

Regulation should just go. As for the EU having any policies in the USA, well, we signed the Declaration of Independence for a reason.

Upvote 0
The real questions should be "are the iPhone owners even complaining about lightning?" and "If not, what business is it of the EU to force this change even in the USA where they have zero jurisdiction?"
They aren't. The rule applies only within the EU. Applying it globally is a commercial decision on Apple's part. Nobody made them do that, it was their choice.

And if you want to know what a world without regulation looks like, in Victorian England people had to carry little chemistry kits with them when doing grocery shopping to check that what they were buying was actually food rather than cut with inedible crap. Heck, the US has had some pretty nasty water pollution scandals in recent years even with the regulations you have, but imagine what it would be like if that wasn't even illegal to pollute the water? Bad regulation can be a problem, but it takes only a minimal knowledge of history to know that no regulation is worse (apart from for an unscrupulous few who can profit from it). And I say "history" rather than "theory", because it's what happens in reality that matters, not what some bleeding theory claims should happen. The central lesson of history is that unregulated markets end up, not with some utopia where competition leads to low prices and high standards for all, but with monopoly followed by excessive prices and lack of innovation. The truth is that markets need smart regulation, yes, but they cannot operate unregulated.

Upvote 0
Along with this USB Type-C measure, the EU is also pushing for replaceable batteries:
Since this is likely to result in a universal change in all smartphones regardless to where they're sold, it's nice to see a more consumer-focused approach to marketing. Here in the U.S. we've locked ourselves into a profit-first/public-is-screwed style of quasi-market capitalism.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Hadron, everything you said that happens in unregulated markets is already happening today. From food filled with inedible crap (that only got worse, thanks to Monsanto, GMOs, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Aspartame, Carnauba Wax and more) to the corporate mentality where there's less innovation, less competition, and unimpended monopalies. Even Microsoft got rid of any charges against them in the Anti-Trust lawsuit by throwing money at the problem.

If anything, in an unregulated market, nothing would be worse, but it could be better. The Free Market concept must be brought back. No more of this 'we will tell you want you want, and you'll own nothing and you will be happy' nonsense. Also no more of this 'the shareholders' views matter more than satisfying consumer demand' crap. We were doing just fine when small businesses were doing their thing and caring about quality and customer satisfaction first.

Is anyone else a bit worried that we suddenly need 'right to repair' as a law, and repairability as a law in the first place? in the '60s, up until the '90s, there was no need for any of that. repair was part of owning stuff. Schematics were once inside the case of the product. We taught our children and grandchildren the value of hard work and repair, we read the manuals to our computers, we learned DOS. We used to care about something lasting a lifetime, not something that you throw away once it's x years old.

The problem isn't what you think. The only reason we got non-removable batteries, no headphone jack. and disposable tech is because we as a consumer market blindly accepted it. We enabled the companies to do this. We wanted that 'premium glass' smartphone. If we honestly cared enough, we'd have stopped participating and not bought the newer product until the companies reversed course. Suddenly all those complaints about Samsung making plastic phones sounds hollow in hindsight.

The EU isn't the savior, it's a symptom of a much larger problem, one we allowed to happen. The problem is entirely our fault, and no EU regulation will solve it. As for corporations, I am not sure why they even exist. They are not solving any real problem, only causing tons of problems. It's not like only corporations can satisfy our demand. Once again, if enough customers honestly cared about USB-C it would have happened without the EU needing to mandate it. Whenever government entities feel the need to mandate change it's not to help customers, it's to help themselves. Or do you really believe the FCC was thinking about you and I when enforcing the DTV Transition in 2009?

I don't know how mandates are even legal. Has anyone else ever watched that Schoolhouse Rock episode "I'm just a bill"? Because mandates bypass that entire process, including the part at the beginning regarding enough of the public clamouring for change. With government-enforced mandates, there is no vote, no poll, and our views have no voice. Please tell me you're not in favor of a system that decides for us instead of existing by us, for us, and actually cares about what WE want?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would argue that everything you object to would actually get even worse. One of the biggest problems is regulators who don't do their job, often due to a very cosy relationship with those who they are supposed to be regulating (e.g. in the UK we have a real problem with water pollution, and one issue is that the regulator, which has had a "revolving door" relation between its higher echelons and the companies it is supposed to regulate). From the outside one has the impression that the US suffers this problem too. Regulations only help if they are enforced: another element of the UK problems is that the agency responsible for enforcement has been massively defunded by the current Government, and when one Liz Truss was in charge of that department she actually ordered them not to enforce regulations. There isn't a single significant waterway in the country that is rated "healthy" currently, and that is because of effective deregulation through lack of enforcement.

But when you talk about "return to free market concept" the problem is that this is exactly what we are facing: in an unregulated "free market" the companies are not only allowed but incentivised to do whatever maximises their returns, regardless of the costs to their customers, the public or the natural world. So inbuilt obsolescence, removal or ports, devices that are impossible to repair are a natural consequence of that. The public doesn't get a choice because it's more profitable for the manufacturers so they all do it. And the culture of driving mass consumption through omnipresent marketing is another consequence of the "free market". You have an idea of how such markets should work, in a world of enlightened customers who know what is going on, have thoughts beyond their own short-term gratification and the time and means to pursue those, given fair and accurate information about the products, then maybe things would work the way you like. But the sad fact is that the current mess is driven by "markets" that allow companies to do whatever they want, provided they don't break any actual laws, to maximise their returns (and of course lobby and fund politicians to keep the laws friendly to their activities). This is all 100% the free market working in reality: if people will buy disposable shit, or can be encouraged to buy disposable shit, and if it's more profitable to sell disposable shit (because it's cheaper to make, you sell more of it, and the costs of dealing with it afterwards are somebody else's problem) then that is exactly what a "free market" will produce. And because it's more profitable everything else will be driven into a higher-priced niche, or will disappear.

Upvote 0
The public had no say in all those feature removals. They as I said are part of the problem as they kept buying (instead of doing what they were supposed to do, which was voting with their wallets). But the real issue is that corporations care nothing about us. They only care what their shareholders think. customer satisfaction isn't even a priority of a coporation. Add in that corporations stifle any chance of competition and smaller businesses thriving (by buying many out and still using the name hoping it still means anything to people, see: Zenith, Magnavox, Fisher and Craftsman) and aren't affected enough by customer demand to be impacted by a few voting with their wallets.

In other words, corporations need to cease to exist. We had businesses and a free market doing fine in the '60s and repair wasn't something we needed laws to enforce. What exactly changed? From my perspective, it changed overnight the instant the IBM PC Launched in 1981. But even then, PCs were built to be serviced. Heck, in the beginning, Apple actually encouraged servicing. During the Apple II and early Mac era, Steve Jobs actually wanted people to crack them open, and even went to great lengths to make everything inside look PERFECT (to the point of pissing off many at Apple!) so it made a good impression or something. But it seems even that went away around the time he came back and got all buddy buddy with Johnathan Ive.

We haven't had a free market since maybe the 1970s. Free market is basically supply and demand. Basic elementary economics 101. People demand something, company supplies it. Company pisses people off, company goes bankrupt when people stop buying and tell others to avoid that brand name.

That no longer happens because corporations run everything, even your local grocery store. There is no supply/demand concept in society today. In fact, corporate-run entities tend to manipulate the system either by limiting choices and encouraging other similar companies to do the same (such as when Google thinks something Apple done is a great idea and makes it a thing in Android, see removing the headphone jack, removing the removable battery, removing expandable storage) and when all you have left is the illusion of choice the public can do nothing.

Look at it this way. We seem to be dependent on smartphones whether I agree with it or not. But when it comes time to upgrade, say, to keep that one app you depend on working because it depends on a specific OS and your old phone can't support it anymore, and all you have to choose from are phones missing what you might view as desired features what do you do? Stick it to the 'man by not buying? well your app you need won't work. So what then? You need this app for some activity, but you have to have the latest OS to use it. So you're stuck buying a phone that loses features you desire, and the company gets away with this. Companies also maniuplate demand by advertising and that's something that has to change as well.

Basically corporate run world doesn't care about customer demand. Otherwise a company would show up with that exact smartphone that has all those desired features and still can run your app. But many times we see mega-corps destroy any chance of that ever happening. See: WebOS, Meego, Symbian, Windows Phone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones