• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone 3G/3GS to Droid??

yeah AT&T's network is horrid. But I think I will miss all of the apps on the iphone. That is the only thing that gets me. But I am super excited about android and the Google Voice inclusion. Should be interesting.

If not then I guess I have 30 days to return it.

But I just wanted to see if this phone was just for people that did not want to switch to AT&T from verizon.

Upvote 0
I don't get the whole "Iphones have all these apps that android doesn't"

My girlfriend just got an iphone and she keeps telling me about this app and that app. And then I go look up if there is an android equivalent. She has yet to tell me about one that I can't find on android.

Go figure. Me thinks there are a lot of useless apps in Apple's 100,000 app collection :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I won't miss AT&T at all, or the dropped calls, but I have to admit, I'll miss that there are so many things made for the iPhone - accessories, cases, speakers, docking stations, and apps. More apps are made for iPhone because more people are using the iPhone. Android will get there, and I'm hoping they have the basics covered. I'm going to miss the games on the iPhone for sure, but willing to trade it for calls that don't drop. I bought my kids iPod Touches so that we can hang onto all the apps I had purchased for my iPhone. Very excited about merging my Google accounts into a phone, and happy to be away from the walled garden of Apple.

Upvote 0
Yeah just got done reading something along those lines...here it is
Apple's 100,000 apps fail to impress | The Money Times

Warning: Teh APPLE phanboi's are on the attack on this article
c'mon, 10,000 apps in Android Market, I think thats plenty. There are severl weather apps / widgets, so, I don't like there being sooooo much, which one do I pick?? Which is really the best?? Which has the best widget for my home screen, if it has a widget at all?? Too many choices isn't necessarily a good thing...

Upvote 0
I sold my 3Gs on Ebay for the Droid. I will miss that the iPhone just plain works (AT&T aside, as they sucked). When I wanted to watch a movie it worked. When I wanted to play a game, it worked. When I wanted to take a picture or video, it worked. I suspect this phone will be like the 1st iPhone.....buggy. I am getting it with the hope that Motorola and Android update the software to fix some of the bugs already reported. I am excited to get my Droid though.

Upvote 0
I sold my 3Gs on Ebay for the Droid. I will miss that the iPhone just plain works (AT&T aside, as they sucked). When I wanted to watch a movie it worked. When I wanted to play a game, it worked. When I wanted to take a picture or video, it worked. I suspect this phone will be like the 1st iPhone.....buggy. I am getting it with the hope that Motorola and Android update the software to fix some of the bugs already reported. I am excited to get my Droid though.

Ok so that is my question, why leave the iphone when "it works"?? That is my problem. The iphone does so many things good, and so many things that make you scratch your head. That is what I am struggling with. It is a good phone, but it make your long for more. I just hope I am not moving in the wrong direction.

Upvote 0
Ok so that is my question, why leave the iphone when "it works"?? That is my problem. The iphone does so many things good, and so many things that make you scratch your head. That is what I am struggling with. It is a good phone, but it make your long for more. I just hope I am not moving in the wrong direction.

I think the biggest reason people will be coming from the iPhone is for the Verizon network. Most of my friends and family are on Verizon, so it makes sense to be on Verizon.

Upvote 0

Because AT&T sucks so bad it is not worth staying. I am also a little fed up with Apple. They have lost touch with their base and ignored what we want from a media device. They are turning into Microsoft. I am willing to help support a company (Google) that is trying to keep their software and devices open. I suspect that within a year we (Android Fans) will be shocked at the inovation from Android handsets. I would be willing to bet that I will be lusting after a new Android handset in about 3 months or less.

Upvote 0
Because AT&T sucks so bad it is not worth staying. I am also a little fed up with Apple. They have lost touch with their base and ignored what we want from a media device. They are turning into Microsoft. I am willing to help support a company (Google) that is trying to keep their software and devices open. I suspect that within a year we (Android Fans) will be shocked at the inovation from Android handsets. I would be willing to bet that I will be lusting after a new Android handset in about 3 months or less.

Sorry should not have used the term "media device".

Upvote 0
I suspect that within a year we (Android Fans) will be shocked at the inovation from Android handsets. I would be willing to bet that I will be lusting after a new Android handset in about 3 months or less.

One of the serious downfalls of the Android platform... With the iPhone, they managed the output of devices so that I only lusted after a new one 1x per year. And I was always able to sell my iPhone for more than I paid for it because there's a market for the device. With Android, there are so many new devices coming out on a regular basis, each outdoing the last one. Great for innovation, bad for those of us who always want the latest and greatest. I expect the market for our older Android devices (which the Droid will be by Q2 2010) will be next to nothing. We'll be stuck with the Droid for 2 years, or will have to eat the cost to upgrade to a better device, only to be disappointed 3 months later! What a cycle.

Upvote 0
Given open nature of the Android, once the phone starts getting into hands of programmers, there will be much poking at the code, fix submissions, and a lot of issues will be fixed quickly. At least, this is what I expect - I might be wrong. The number and variety of apps is likely to explode - I am sure a lot of iPhone app writers have downloaded Android SDK by now. I am about convinced that AppMarket is going to become accessible from any pllatform, not just the phone, very soon.

Then, if you think about it, Google has never been into music distribution business - hence anemic player and no automatic sync. It's like an unspoken encouragement for the programming community to come up with something better. Lets see how fast we start seeing better players and apps that sync your music/videos automatically.

Upvote 0
Given open nature of the Android, once the phone starts getting into hands of programmers, there will be much poking at the code, fix submissions, and a lot of issues will be fixed quickly. At least, this is what I expect - I might be wrong. The number and variety of apps is likely to explode - I am sure a lot of iPhone app writers have downloaded Android SDK by now. I am about convinced that AppMarket is going to become accessible from any pllatform, not just the phone, very soon.

Then, if you think about it, Google has never been into music distribution business - hence anemic player and no automatic sync. It's like an unspoken encouragement for the programming community to come up with something better. Lets see how fast we start seeing better players and apps that sync your music/videos automatically.

Before Xmas, all those minor issue will be patched, and this phone will only get better. No hardware changes need to occur, should all be software driven.

Upvote 0
I am a little disappointed with the Android app store. With the100,000 apps in the iPhone app store, I have 100's of choices for a good fart app, what does the Android store offer? /sarcasm :D
How about the one good fart?
Before Xmas, all those minor issue will be patched, and this phone will only get better. No hardware changes need to occur, should all be software driven.
And you know that for a fact?

Upvote 0
I currently have a 3Gs and will be picking up the droid tomorrow for my other line. I think i will miss all of the games and apps on the iphone the most. Granted i dont use them all ( i have about 120 on my 3gs right now) but i like the 'just in case' i need to do something. ::crossing fingers that the android market place will pick up::

Also, its so easy to sync all of my music with the iphone on top of syncing with iCal, contacts, etc.

I just feel that ATT's service needs to improve a lot. the maps app on my iphone takes forever to get a sat lock and it never seems to show where i really am ( always a couple blocks away for even miles) and it doesnt seem to update fast enough when im using it while driving.

I figure with the 30 day return policy on the droid, what do i have to loose but to try a new device on verizon.

Upvote 0
I currently have a 3Gs and will be picking up the droid tomorrow for my other line. I think i will miss all of the games and apps on the iphone the most. Granted i dont use them all ( i have about 120 on my 3gs right now) but i like the 'just in case' i need to do something. ::crossing fingers that the android market place will pick up::

Also, its so easy to sync all of my music with the iphone on top of syncing with iCal, contacts, etc.

I just feel that ATT's service needs to improve a lot. the maps app on my iphone takes forever to get a sat lock and it never seems to show where i really am ( always a couple blocks away for even miles) and it doesnt seem to update fast enough when im using it while driving.

I figure with the 30 day return policy on the droid, what do i have to loose but to try a new device on verizon.

I think that gets me the most. Being able to sync or buy music right from itunes and have it sync to the device. I hope that google comes up with something like that. Plus I do love the music player on the iphone, I hope the Droid lives up to that.

Upvote 0
I have an iPhone 3G.
I'll miss the apps. Maybe something else, but I don't know what right now.
I'll miss rollover minutes. (I guess I'm one of the few that actually used them?)

I figure in the long run I'll be much better off. I'm sick of Apple's control and not having 3G when I'm traveling. And I can't wait to have a real keyboard on my phone (missed most from my LG enV). And...

Upvote 0
I think that gets me the most. Being able to sync or buy music right from itunes and have it sync to the device. I hope that google comes up with something like that. Plus I do love the music player on the iphone, I hope the Droid lives up to that.

Motorola Media Link ---- Google it.

I'm pretty sure this should work with the Droid and will provide a pretty decent way to sync the two.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones