1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

iPhone 4: AT&T isn't the only thing stopping people from making calls

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SeattleYanksFan, Jun 23, 2010.

1. cr0wnest

cr0wnest Well-Known Member

This is how we all should hold the iPhone 4

[​IMG]

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. kriskmk

kriskmk Well-Known Member

I remember reading about this in the past too.. you are right.. i stand corrected on this point.. Apple would still have gone with a GSM phone even if the deal with verizon had gone though... they wouldn't miss the opportunity to get on the global market.. and then who knows.. perhaps Verizon would be having the woes that ATT has now with their overloaded networks.

3. kriskmk

Apple's official response to the antenna issue..

Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone. If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases.

I would have returned the phone just based on that response!!

4. RogerPodacter

RogerPodacter Well-Known Member

5. kriskmk

what was HTC's response?

6. RogerPodacter

RogerPodacter Well-Known Member

maybe you havent been following the news, but ALL new iphone's have this antenna problem. just because you are in a strong signal area and dont get the problem doesnt mean you dont have it. drive around town and find some weaker signal areas and test it out yourself. then watch all the youtube videos and you'll see what's going on.

7. Tangent

Tangent Android Enthusiast

When a high-end phone ends up with an absurdly basic problem like this one I'll find it amusing. When it happens to a company with a reputation for smugness and hordes of "you're with us or you're a moron" acolytes, it's even funnier. When the company then responds with "you just don't know how to hold your phone right", that just gets a big 'ol facepalm...

8. alaine01

alaine01 Lurker

How could you said that? Do you have awful experience with it?

9. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Android Expert

Sorry it wasn't HTC, it was Google on the support forums (Ry Guy)- Google Halts Development On Nexus One’s 3G Issues | Android Phone Fans

10. gotweed

gotweed Well-Known Member

We laugh because apple seem to have an excuse for everything except taking responsibility and PUTTING the blame on the.consumers buddy

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

11. jbuck1984

jbuck1984 Android Enthusiast

Woooooow please check your kettle sir.

Edit: This is now front page on CNN.com

12. vbetts

vbetts Android Enthusiast

Don't make a thread with such a troll title. That simple.

13. jbuck1984

jbuck1984 Android Enthusiast

I guess it's time to abandon this thread. Not really necessary to bash dude. This was a pretty light post thread and is all over the news.... hence bahahahahahahahaha

14. cabinets

cabinets Well-Known Member

With all due respect, you are way way wrong.You don't know what you are talking about. Do you own one? I do and also owned the N1 both on tmo and att. Not ALL iphones have this issue. Mine absolutely does not. Why would I lie? It's a phone, that's all. If it had issues, I'd return it. I had to return 2 N1's. No sweat. This is a non issue for me. I was only trying to set the record straight. I have the feeling I can say nothing to change some people's minds who take these issues as serious as college rivals.

15. sifuhall

sifuhall Newbie

So what specifically is "miles ahead" in the hardware?

16. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead

This isn't really a Nexus thread. So I'm going to move it over to the Non-Android section for further discussion.

17. Isthmus

Isthmus Android Expert

Just to play devils advocate, but wasn't there a similar issue with the Nexus One when it came out (holding the phone so that you covered a particular area of the case messed with your reception? I seem to remember something along these lines being amongst the list of teething problems the N1 had when it first came out.

18. Astridax93

Astridax93 Member

To be honest apple are stupid if they developed a phone which can't be held in a comfortable normal way. Systemic design failure, I fail to believe they didn't think about the affect of the human body on a radio transmitter.

All animals have haemoglobin molecules which contain iron in them, iron circulating is bound to create interference with radio transmitters, it's like putting your wifi ariel in a lead box :D
    As is my understanding.

19. Snow_Fox

Snow_Fox Android Expert

Hate of one product does not make you a fanboy of another.

Why do we on the android side have to accept him?

why can't it be windows mobile or palm?

I hate 360 and I have a ps3.. It doesn't mean I am not aware of the drawbacks of my product..

20. DKYang

DKYang Android Enthusiast

21. vandyblackandgold

vandyblackandgold Well-Known Member

i think this is really funny. this thread is just one example of many across this board of people grasping at straws to talk about how this is totally different any android related issues that compare to what the iphone 4 is experiencing.

22. vincentp

vincentp Android Expert

You know, I've read a billion articles since Android started gaining steam comparing the environment to that of the iPhone. Every single one cited the variety of different devices as a negative - and I understood that point. It's tough for developers.

Seeing something like this though just has me thinking one thing. If this were an Android phone, not only would the problem not be as widespread - thanks to the selection, not as many people would have purchased this particular device - but the owner could also be relatively confident that there is another device with the same capabilities that will be coming soon, or is already out.

With the iPhone 4, that's it. Too bad, your reception is broken if you hold it the wrong way and you don't have a choice in the matter. You can go back to the antiquated 3GS if you want to, but there's no iPhone 4.1 coming out anytime soon, and millions have already purchased this broken one. Best case scenario is that Apple fixes the issue in a revision of the unit and covers it under warranty. Will they though? Seriously doubtful. Millions of people just ponied up hundreds of bucks for a crippled device that will likely not be replaceable by something similar for at least a year due to the way Apple structures their phone releases.

I'm not saying it would be any better should an Android phone come out with a similar issue. It would still suck for the people who bought it. My point is, there are so many Android units available and coming out all of the time that - had this been an Android phone - there are at least other options.

23. squirrellydw

squirrellydw Member

It's software related and will be fixed next week.

24. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Android Expert

The software will move the location off the antenna?

Sent from my Liquid using Tapatalk