• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Iphone 4 battery makes me sad :(

It's disappointing, but you have to realize WHY it's happening. It's not like the Inc is built poorly or the OS is made inefficient. The fact is that the device is nothing short of a tiny laptop (hell it's more powerful than my first three computers) and people are expecting to crank out half a day's worth of nonstop use out of a battery the size of a matchbook.

The reason the battery life "sucks" is how much is happening. Turn off all the stuff that runs in the background and you can get TONS of juice out of it. Again, the iPhone cripples multitasking, that's a big reason it gets better time. My phone is constantly running various chat and social apps and then I have it downloading stuff while I surf and text, could you really expect ANYTHING to last 24 hours like that?

There's a big reason that phones like the Inc and EVO get shit battery life: they're doing a lot and it pulls a lot of power. It's not like there's something inferior in the design.

Upvote 0
It's disappointing, but you have to realize WHY it's happening. It's not like the Inc is built poorly or the OS is made inefficient. The fact is that the device is nothing short of a tiny laptop (hell it's more powerful than my first three computers) and people are expecting to crank out half a day's worth of nonstop use out of a battery the size of a matchbook.

The reason the battery life "sucks" is how much is happening. Turn off all the stuff that runs in the background and you can get TONS of juice out of it. Again, the iPhone cripples multitasking, that's a big reason it gets better time. My phone is constantly running various chat and social apps and then I have it downloading stuff while I surf and text, could you really expect ANYTHING to last 24 hours like that?

There's a big reason that phones like the Inc and EVO get shit battery life: they're doing a lot and it pulls a lot of power. It's not like there's something inferior in the design.

why is it that some people say that Android multitasking is so efficient and doesn't need task management, and other disagree?

also, I think this whole issue is overblown. singletasking, ie with just video playback, the Iphone smokes the DINC in battery life.

Upvote 0

I agree, the phone is amazing its the battery.

Upvote 0
god forbid there be a better phone than the droid incredible.

Seriously guys? Im honestly done with this forum because its so bias and full of bullsh*t.

It helps NO ONE when every opinion goes "oh so it has this? well i can do this to my incredible and now its soo much better."
Was one of you serious by saying the Inc. was better because when the battery died you could put in a new one and continue?! You shouldn't have to!

I am not bias towards Apple AT ALL, nor any other product.
Im honest too, this has to be THE only forum I have seen that is this bias. Terrible.

You don't go to many forums do you? I'm just sick of hearing about the new iPhone, let me cripple my phone and we can all watch the battery get better yay! And yes I use multiple batteries some days, nice to have that option and not carry around some stupid proprietary white cable which btw is harder to tote around than a spare dinc battery.

Upvote 0
Not sure why you people are so confused...

Snapdragon in the Incredible is made with older 65nm transistors.

Iphone CPU and chipset is made on newer 45nm technology which uses much less power.

Things are even worse for the driod Eris which uses ancient 90nm transistors. With the Eris you get both piss poor battery life and performance. The worst of both worlds.

Upvote 0
You don't go to many forums do you? I'm just sick of hearing about the new iPhone, let me cripple my phone and we can all watch the battery get better yay! And yes I use multiple batteries some days, nice to have that option and not carry around some stupid proprietary white cable which btw is harder to tote around than a spare dinc battery.

uhhh.. I go to plenty, probably more than you. Now the majority of what I visit are NOT phone forums. Its the NEW iphone of course you are going to hear a sht load about it. You think its fun coming into this forum and reading everyones I LOVE MY PHONE, OMG ITS AMAZING, etc. when this phone was new?
With my experience with the iphone, the batt lasts all day, no need to carry around any cable or extra battery. Dont interpret this as I love the iphone and it is superior to the incredible.

Actually i think i will put that as my sig

Upvote 0
Apple A4 CPU - 45nm
Snapdragon 1ghz - 65nm

All you need to do is google the CPU specs. This is old news and everyone knew battery life on the Iphone 4 would be better.

No one is denying that the iPhone 4 will have better battery life. We are simply saying it's not like the battery life on the Incredible is "piss poor." And for those who are unhappy with the Incredible's battery life, you have to take into consideration how much it is doing at once.

Upvote 0
No one is denying that the iPhone 4 will have better battery life. We are simply saying it's not like the battery life on the Incredible is "piss poor." And for those who are unhappy with the Incredible's battery life, you have to take into consideration how much it is doing at once.

"piss poor" is a meaningless term, it all depends on what your comparison is

compared to Iphone, yes, battery life is piss poor.

and "how much it is doing at once" is irrelevant since the new iphone can do lots of things at once, and fast, on an awesome screen

Upvote 0
"piss poor" is a meaningless term, it all depends on what your comparison is

compared to Iphone, yes, battery life is piss poor.

and "how much it is doing at once" is irrelevant since the new iphone can do lots of things at once, and fast, on an awesome screen

This is my last post in here, and then I am done going back and forth with someone who is clueless.

How can you say the Incredible's battery is "piss poor" compared to the iPhone 4's? Have you used the iPhone 4? Have you seen a several hour long test video showing the battery lasting under like conditions to an Incredible for far longer? Until you have, give it a rest.

Secondly, your opening post says it all about your lack of grounds for comparison. You say the iPhone 4 is expected to have 10 hours of battery life on wifi and then compare it to the amount of time you personally get on the Incredible using 3G. If you look at Engadget, you will see the battery life for the all-mighty iPhone 4 with web browsing on 3G is significantly less, as in 6 hours. So first of all, even if the Incredible only gets 2-3 hours on 3G (which it doesn't), it's 2-3x the battery life, not 4-5x like you claim.

Upvote 0
I'm sure you're right, but i'm also hoping for a fix-up OTA update to address the first batch of bugs. Recent apps defaults and loses your actual apps, music player track skip, grounding, FM Tuner problem, bluetooth headset does not remember volume from previous session, etc, etc, etc... Those fixes should be independent of Froyo.

I spent probably 3 hours on the phone with CS today and yesterday and they all swear that 5 hour battery life is "normal" and that they see nothing wrong with having to charge the battery on a $200 phone 2-3 times a day. Also the tech for the "Android and Advanced Devices Dept" said that there are no known issues with the battery life on the DInc...

kinda made me laugh...

Upvote 0
uhhh.. I go to plenty, probably more than you. Now the majority of what I visit are NOT phone forums. Its the NEW iphone of course you are going to hear a sht load about it. You think its fun coming into this forum and reading everyones I LOVE MY PHONE, OMG ITS AMAZING, etc. when this phone was new?
With my experience with the iphone, the batt lasts all day, no need to carry around any cable or extra battery. Dont interpret this as I love the iphone and it is superior to the incredible.

Actually i think i will put that as my sig
Sorry on my phone I have no idea what's in your Sig, nor do I care if you update it. Also sorry you did not pick up the sarcasm. While I personally have not used an iPhone all day long to compare directly I do not understand all these claims about how the iPhone battery lasts for weeks ;) I have lots of iPhone friends and I've seen them all have to plug in quite frequently? Not saying its horrible or that my phone is better, in fact ill question anyone who claims to be a moderate user of any phone and gets 2 full days. I was lucky to get 2 days on a razr with an extended battery.

Anyways if battery life is the end all be all ill pick up a curve and smoke both phones!

Upvote 0
How can you say the Incredible's battery is "piss poor" compared to the iPhone 4's? Have you used the iPhone 4? Have you seen a several hour long test video showing the battery lasting under like conditions to an Incredible for far longer? Until you have, give it a rest.

apologies, I will restate:

DINC is piss poor compared to 3GS, and the 4g is supposed be way better than 3Gs. better?

Secondly, your opening post says it all about your lack of grounds for comparison. You say the iPhone 4 is expected to have 10 hours of battery life on wifi and then compare it to the amount of time you personally get on the Incredible using 3G. If you look at Engadget, you will see the battery life for the all-mighty iPhone 4 with web browsing on 3G is significantly less, as in 6 hours. So first of all, even if the Incredible only gets 2-3 hours on 3G (which it doesn't), it's 2-3x the battery life, not 4-5x like you claim.

even if thats true, lolololo at 2-3x not being a gigantic difference. that is HUGE

Upvote 0
I'm a DINC owner here to talk about the DINC. All thats good, all thats bad.

unfortunately some people only want to talk about 1 of those things
Ok, fair enough. I was just curious. But as for forums and fans, I really hope you were kidding when you said you have never seen loyalty like this. Have you ever been to a Boston Red Sox forum or a Yanks forum? Come on man, surely you jest. Apple fans are rabid, Windows fans are nuts. So let's just let the shit fly and not make judgment on the nature of that loyalty. You like the iPhone and you are in a DI forum. Thicken that skin.

Upvote 0
Ok, fair enough. I was just curious. But as for forums and fans, I really hope you were kidding when you said you have never seen loyalty like this. Have you ever been to a Boston Red Sox forum or a Yanks forum? Come on man, surely you jest. Apple fans are rabid, Windows fans are nuts. So let's just let the shit fly and not make judgment on the nature of that loyalty. You like the iPhone and you are in a DI forum. Thicken that skin.

well that wasnt me who said that

but I am a Red Sox fan so I know what you speak of

I agree that the IPhone fanboys are the worst, but fanboys of any kind are horrible and lead to unproductive debate

Upvote 0
I understand all that. but there are plenty of real world scenarios that are "controlled enough" that it's very easy for me to test

IE: on a 7 hour plane ride, in airplane mode, playing video. this is both a real world scenario & fairly controlled. or lying in bed using WIFI - this is basically controlled and real world as well. these are both use cases where my DINC gets killed by my old Iphone, and crushed even worse by Iphone 4.

these are both real world scenarios that are easy enough to test. are they scientific tests that could be published in journals? no, but they are close enough that it's easy to tell if the stated claims are "pretty accurate or not"
I will respectfully disagree with that, as again, there are still external factors involved. In this case, temperature and how much stress you are putting on the CPU would play a role. Unless you are planning on just so perfectly running the CPU at 50%, then sure it might come close or surpass. I will say this for the last time, whether you agree or not is irrelevant. Battery life ratings are very subjective and tend to be ambiguous. I have no issue admitting that my Incredible does not have the best battery life, so we can put a nail in that coffin. What you do need to understand though is that, just like the Incredible's battery rating, Apple's claims are done under environments that are almost impossible to replicate in real life.

Upvote 0
For all it is worth. The Ipad has exceeded every battery claims in all the reviews I read. I agree that companies tend to exaggerate battery life. But the iPad (and hoping the iPhone 4 with the same IPS techn and A4 CPU) had far exceeded my expectations for battery life. Like all the reviews, I regularly get 10 hours of hard use on my iPad. One saturday, I watched 6 hours of ABC episodes via WIFI streaming and the whole ordeal lasted 6 hours. I've gone days without charging the device.
That is impressive. My experience falls in line with every real-world review done on the iPad.

So, I am guessing the iPhone 4 with similar spec/tech will be close to the stated claims. We won't know until 3-4 weeks from now when every newspaper/tech blog/pc site reviews the iPhone 4.

Upvote 0
my own personal solution to 'battery problems' with all my previous 'smartphones' - of which there have been so many - has been simply to install numerous 'cradles' i.e. bedside, desks, living room, offices, because it is easier just to simply slip the device into a cradle than to replace a battery (removing the case, removing the cover, removing the battery, replacing the battery, charging the battery, carrying an extra battery...). previous cradles could charge spare batteries as well so that i always would have a spare battery handy, whether i am here in boston or dallas. i suppose this could be viewed as somwhat expensive but to me it is worth not having to worry about such things as 'a battery.' anyways, i don't have to carry extra batteries with me because of this setup. just as i don't have to carry anything with me when i travel between the northeast and dfw. i setup everything else the same way.

Upvote 0
my own personal solution to 'battery problems' with all my previous 'smartphones' - of which there have been so many - has been simply to install numerous 'cradles' i.e. bedside, desks, living room, offices, because it is easier just to simply slip the device into a cradle than to replace a battery (removing the case, removing the cover, removing the battery, replacing the battery, charging the battery, carrying an extra battery...).....
Very interesting scenario and one that works fine, I'm sure. Since I go naked I don't have the extra step in battery replacement that you would in having to remove the case. I simply power down in the morning, pop the battery, put in an externally charged one (a real 100% charge) and boot up in like 15 seconds. I have yet to run out by bedtime and I have everything on, always. Although if I listen to the radio or use GPS while in the car I put it on my car charger. And not to fan the flames of the Apple folks, my iPhone friend is so jealous that I can get a whole day of use while on the Verizon network that she is ready to jump ship as soon as her contract is up. i4 or not. On long trips I carry the extra, fully charge battery, in my change pocket. Not much more bulk than 2 quarters.

Upvote 0
The INCs battery life is nothing short of terrible, guys. To try to pass off having to change batteries more often that you change your underwear is willfully ignoring a big shortcoming of the INC.

I love my INC, but the stock battery sucks. Sure, you can't replace the iPhone battery, but that doesn't make a difference because there's no need to replace it.

Yes, the iPhone 4 has a better screen, a front facing video camera, a larger battery, and records HD video. These are better specs than the INC. The INC is still a better phone for me because I've become a fan of Android after having the iPhone for a couple of years.

Everybody here needs to recognize that the INC is not for everybody, just as the iPhone is not for them. The new iPhone is a nice, sexy, powerful device, so it will be a success. Just don't take it personally, it's not an insult to INC users for somebody to buy the iPhone!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones