• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone 4 vs Captivate

Bottom line is both phones are good and were not entering into a lifelong decision here. Like Shark said above most of us are gadget freaks and eventually will get tired of any device we have. Get an iPhone 4 now and by that time the latest and greatest and maybe more refined Android phones will be out. Get a Captivate now and by the end the iPhone 5 will be out and may actually be better.

The one thing that keeps coming back is if you want a phone to use AND "play" with (in the tech geek sense of play) the Captivate would be best. If you want a phone and just want it to work and have no desire to "play" with it the i4 will always be better.

Upvote 0
Um, I have a Captivate, thank you very much.

My wife and youngest son each have an i4.

THAT is why I call "bullshit." I have both in my house, tried and tested both. Yes, touching the strip attenuates the signal, but STOPPING data?

Come on - that's just STUPID. You guys are F'ing Web Blog following SHEEP.
What's IGNORANT, is trying to tell someone who has TWO OF THEM in their house what it can and cannot do, when I can just grab one and call your bluffs. You whiners probably never even TOUCHED an i4...

He's a fanboy - I mean, just look at his USERNAME.

'nuff said - but I will repeat - I have a Captivate, NOT an i4.
I put a pic up in another thread, with a nice message on the Cappy's screen...

Anyways, I digress - I'm not getting bent out of shape for this nonsense - buy what you want, others will buy what they want. Me? I'm perfectly happy with my Cappy.

T

It never ceases to amaze me the great lengths people will go to make themselves look stupid. Your hubris is astounding. Can you comprehend, for just a minute, that there are small differences between samples (each iphone4 unit), and that there are (potentially) major differences between people's environments? Saying that *you* know others are lying because *your* experience is different is comically ******ed. thanks you for the entertainment.

Upvote 0
It never ceases to amaze me the great lengths people will go to make themselves look stupid. Your hubris is astounding. Can you comprehend, for just a minute, that there are small differences between samples (each iphone4 unit), and that there are (potentially) major differences between people's environments? Saying that *you* know others are lying because *your* experience is different is comically ******ed. thanks you for the entertainment.

(sigh) Yeah - I know... I know... you're really not entertaining.
So let me get this straight...
I've been saying that NOT EVERY iphone will drop data EVERY time you touch it...

And you're essentially repeating what I said?? I said I know there's a problem, but it's not a 100% problem 100% of the time...

I thought this was over, but apparently EVERY dumb@ss has to have their say...

Next!

Seriously, how about actually CONTRIBUTING to a thread, instead of going to a thread that's basically done, and poking the fire?

TWO words for you - CONTRIBUTE SOMETHING

T

Upvote 0
Bottom line is both phones are good and were not entering into a lifelong decision here. Like Shark said above most of us are gadget freaks and eventually will get tired of any device we have. Get an iPhone 4 now and by that time the latest and greatest and maybe more refined Android phones will be out. Get a Captivate now and by the end the iPhone 5 will be out and may actually be better.

The one thing that keeps coming back is if you want a phone to use AND "play" with (in the tech geek sense of play) the Captivate would be best. If you want a phone and just want it to work and have no desire to "play" with it the i4 will always be better.

No kidding.

In the past 8-12mos, I've had:
Unlocked G1 (EDGE-only on AT&T)
Unlocked Rogers G1 (Full 3G on AT&T)
Backflip (ugh! Well, it was the ONLY android on AT&T at the time)
Captivate

And I don't see that trend ending any time soon... I'm actually contemplating getting a (used) Palm Pre Plus to toy with. If I find one at the price I'm WILLING to pay, it'll have a home.

For a little while, at least

:D

Upvote 0
At this point I wouldn't care if the iPhone was head and shoulders better than the Captivate. I have such disdain for how Jobs has behaved during Antennagate that I wouldn't go near the product. Had he handled his recent press conference differently by showing some respect for the reality of the issue instead of deflecting, I would have eagerly become an iPhone 4 customer. So - my decision to look forward to Froyo and other mods is rooted in principle and not the comparative breakdown of the devices.

Upvote 0
Yeah, unfortunately, I don't fit into their nice, square, closed-off box. My wife likes it, so be it, she can Applify all she wants. Not me.

What ticked MOST people off, was all the BS videos that they started putting up, which are curiously now all gone.

Maybe they learned their lesson...

Naaa - when you're THAT conceited, fuggetaboutit!

T

Upvote 0
Yeah, unfortunately, I don't fit into their nice, square, closed-off box. My wife likes it, so be it, she can Applify all she wants. Not me.

What ticked MOST people off, was all the BS videos that they started putting up, which are curiously now all gone.

Maybe they learned their lesson...

Naaa - when you're THAT conceited, fuggetaboutit!

T

I hated this....I lost respect for them after this whole debacle.

Upvote 0
I've communicated with a couple of well-known and respected columnists who are intimate with the cell phone industry and have written extensively about it. They told me that we're far from alone in our reaction to Jobs' attitude.

I'm sure we're DEFINITELY not alone.

The "We're Apple, so STFU and live with it" attitude was just SO condescending...

I tried to get my wife on the captivate, and she was OK with it, but she's not REALLY tech savvy. After spending eons on "tech support" with her, and the screwup with the online-order-that-was-cancelled-but-shipped-anyway fiasco, I just said screw it - lemme give her the iPhone, and simplify my life :)

T

Upvote 0
^lmao

Your intimate sources are just telling you what the tech world already knew, Steve Jobs pissed off a lot of people, similar to the recent raid of the gizmodo columnists house due to the stolen iphone and similar to the Adobe vs Apple flash debacle. You don't need to be intimate with well know columnists to be privy to the hate Steve Jobs Foundation.

Upvote 0
^lmao

Your intimate sources are just telling you what the tech world already knew, Steve Jobs pissed off a lot of people, similar to the recent raid of the gizmodo columnists house due to the stolen iphone and similar to the Adobe vs Apple flash debacle. You don't need to be intimate with well know columnists to be privy to the hate Steve Jobs Foundation.

Actually, not intimate sources at all (unless you're referring to their intimacy with the industry). I simply emailed them as a consumer venting my feelings about the issues you touched upon and asking them to re-visit their initial, glowing iPhone reviews.

Upvote 0
^lmao

Ain't THAT the truth...

Whatever came of the Adobe vs Apple thingie?
Didn't Adobe file a court case, or FTC complaint, or something?

Because of Jobs' BS, hopefully Adobe sues the crap out of anyone outside of Adobe, that tries to put Flash on iOS. Just because...

T

Upvote 0
Sorry guys, just couldn't resist!

Attachments

• 7-30-2010_4-32-15_PM.JPG
    7-30-2010_4-32-15_PM.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 0
Ha! Good stuff!

At first I was upset about antenna gate, then I realized that every company has their faults. Yes, Steve Jobs is a giant prick, but that's not going to stop me from purchasing a product that's best for me.

Unless you want to make a point, which they won't REALLY get anyway, no it shouldn't. If you're happier with the i4, and let's face it, if you hold out and get something ELSE, it won't affect anything, then you should get the i4.

Like the other analogy I used - just because, say, a VW Shmearvenwagen wins some vehicle of the year award, does NOT mean it's the perfect vehicle for everyone!

T

Upvote 0
Unless you want to make a point, which they won't REALLY get anyway, no it shouldn't. If you're happier with the i4, and let's face it, if you hold out and get something ELSE, it won't affect anything, then you should get the i4.

Like the other analogy I used - just because, say, a VW Shmearvenwagen wins some vehicle of the year award, does NOT mean it's the perfect vehicle for everyone!

T

Agreed.

Though I will miss the notification bar soooo much :(

Upvote 0
Just wondering if any of you that returned your iphone 4's had ordered it from att.com? What's involved with the return process? I know it's not a good sign when I'm looking into the return process before I even get the product, but if my internet research is correct, the iphone will drop calls... and then try to kill me in my sleep. And Steve Jobs will say it's my fault. (At this point I'll be shocked if the darn thing works, truthfully.)
So since I'll probably end up with a captivate, just wondering- is touchwiz that bad and do the at&t bloatware get in the way too much? (these seem to be the two biggest complaints, along with gps problems, on the forums) I'm not going to root, so whatever the official ui is, I'd be using. Thanks in advance for your input.
Also- dust-ups aside, I have to say that this community is pretty awesome. I've been reading a lot on here trying to research my buying decision.

Upvote 0
Just wondering if any of you that returned your iphone 4's had ordered it from att.com? What's involved with the return process? I know it's not a good sign when I'm looking into the return process before I even get the product, but if my internet research is correct, the iphone will drop calls... and then try to kill me in my sleep. And Steve Jobs will say it's my fault. (At this point I'll be shocked if the darn thing works, truthfully.)
So since I'll probably end up with a captivate, just wondering- is touchwiz that bad and do the at&t bloatware get in the way too much? (these seem to be the two biggest complaints, along with gps problems, on the forums) I'm not going to root, so whatever the official ui is, I'd be using. Thanks in advance for your input.
Also- dust-ups aside, I have to say that this community is pretty awesome. I've been reading a lot on here trying to research my buying decision.

I've no clue with the return process. I'm sorry

As for TouchWiz...I HATED it. Laggy, iPhone rip off and just plain unpleasant to use. I switched it out with ADW launcher within a few minutes. I found the bloatware extremely unpleasant as well, as it felt the need to start itself up without me saying so.

The community is great. It seems like it's starting to slow down though, which is a real shame.

Upvote 0
The Cappy should hit Rogers in Sept so hopefully the community will liven up a bit.

edit: I'm actually hoping by then there will be a great custom Froyo ROM dealing will all the issues so me and my phone can live happily ever after in my android wonderland.

Oh give it up - ain't EVER gonna happen...

Because you'll want the NEXT great phone to come along...

Upvote 0
Oh give it up - ain't EVER gonna happen...

Because you'll want the NEXT great phone to come along...

true, all i'm gonna do is by time until the next contract allows me to get another device.

Got to play with a i4 today, really nothing special coming from a 3GS, different shape and the screen is nice. The Cappy will do just fine for the time being.

Upvote 0
Do remember, also, that 6mos in, you can upgrade for an extra $75 over the subsidized price, extending two more years, but only once per 12mos.

So - an option is there 6mos from now... :)

I LOVE options...

I bought this one outright @ $349.99, still got my upgrade available, and then 6mos after that, for an extra $75, I could theoretically upgrade again.

BRING ON THE ANDROIDS!

:D:D

T

Upvote 0
My Captivate went back today.. :( Just can't compare with my iPhone 4, especially now with jailbreak.

I look forward on seeing HTC or Motorola bring an Android handset to AT&T that can actually compete with the iPhone.

Man - they still owe us a few...

Earlier in the year, it was 5 handsets, from HTC,Moto, and Dell.

We got 2 - Samsung wasn't even on the LIST!

Where's the rest, AT&T?

T

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones