• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Iphone 4 vs HTC Incredible

Come on folks. I have an incredible and i love it, BUT I was asked by a friend to set up some things on his brand new iphone 4. I can say with all honesty that if you think the dinc comes close to the iphone screen then you better call the eye dr first thing tomorrow morning. I was totally impressed with all of the hardware aspects of the phone. Software still has a long way to go in my opinion. I would trade my dinc in a second for the iphone 4 hardware. I just could not deal with the ios4. Android os is far superior. Im certainly not a fanboy,but I will admit when something is better than what i have. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
C'mon. The guy admitted being more used to the iPhone because he was an iPhone owner, for pete's sake. Take the same two phones and have an android guy review them and the results will be different.

Personally, I don't see how you can gloss over not having flash and call it a draw. That's big. Very big. I have my business on the web with... you guessed it.. Flash!

Upvote 0
Yeah I saw the IP4 for about 10 seconds today, with the little plastic screen protector from the box still on it and even then I could immediately see an improvement over the Incredible's screen.

There's no need to try and convince yourself the Inc has a better screen. The IP4 has it beat on many aspects of hardware. Build quality, screen resolution, apparently high quality video playback, etc. This shouldn't really be a shocker. It's a newer phone. Android phones that come out months from now will be better than both the IP4 and the Inc. That's just how technology rolls.

What you need to be comparing, and what SHOULD be your reasons for justifying whatever phone you choose... are the more long term aspects. Such as the carrier and the OS. Yeah when it comes to hardware, the IP4 is the better toy. But it's on AT&T and it's still just iOS. For me it's a no brainer to go with Verizon and Android OS. Who cares if our hardware specs are ever so slightly inferior in a few areas?

Upvote 0
I have to say, I love this forum and it's helped me tremendously with "learning" my Inc. But I have to say, I much rather hear people say that they "rather" the Inc over the iPhone, as opposed to totally trashing the iPhone. Because truth is, how can ANYONE possibly trash an Apple product??? It may not be your preference but ALL APPLE products are pretty impressive, now whether you would want one is a whole other story.

Just my $.02

Also has anyone thought about how uncomfortable those sharp edges will be on extended calls or holding it in your hand for extended times?
Totally agree and don't like how they squared it off. The 3G dimensions are better. :)

Upvote 0
Come on folks. I have an incredible and i love it, BUT I was asked by a friend to set up some things on his brand new iphone 4. I can say with all honesty that if you think the dinc comes close to the iphone screen then you better call the eye dr first thing tomorrow morning. I was totally impressed with all of the hardware aspects of the phone. Software still has a long way to go in my opinion. I would trade my dinc in a second for the iphone 4 hardware. I just could not deal with the ios4. Android os is far superior. Im certainly not a fanboy,but I will admit when something is better than what i have. Just my opinion.
Couldn't agree more. You can't possibly look at the iphone 4 screen and the Dinc screen and say the dinc is better. The iphone is sharper, brighter, and it just looks more pleasing to the eye. That's not to say that the dinc doesn't have a great screen too, just not as good as the iphone's. The iphone probably has the best hardware I've ever seen on a phone. It looks and feels good because of the high quality materials that are being used.

Upvote 0
Couple things. He talks early on about the screens, but later when talking about features, he puts the screen again as a plus for the I4.

The second thing was during the keyboard test. How did he type Minnie instead of Winnie TWICE! Look at the keyboard, W and M are on opposite corners of the keyboard. WTF. Also calling the keyboards a draw, when with the Incredible you wouldn't even have to type.

Funny thing was you could tell he really didn't like giving the browsing speed to the Incredible, especially after the 3G test where AT&T had 2-3 bars better signal and still lost. Kind of makes me wonder about all those AT&T claims that they have the fastest network. End Rant.:)

Upvote 0
No doubt.....a great fair video(the Youtube one from CNET) that mentions the Incredible as "as good, or better"....I totally agree, everyone is so brainwashed with apples marketing crap that they are missing the Android Revolution!! I have news folks, IOS4 is yesterday's news, Android OS is way better in my opinion!! Well at least we know that, right?!

Upvote 0
I took some pictures. I'll let you guys be the judge.

Note, making browser comparisons are very hard. I set the DINC to default font and zoom to medium. Default. if I lower the font, it will be too small. If I move it up, it will be too big. There is no way around this. Also, Android does not have a complete set of fonts used by most websites. E.G. Helvetica, Arial, Times, various san & serif fonts. It does a lot of font substitution so it causes wrappings.

In this one, I tried to match it up by the image. For comparison, concentrate on the headline "Poland Warns Nato" at the bottom left. This is at 80% crop because the file is way too big.

wsj_80.jpg

full view:
wsj_full.jpg

Youtube video at 100, 300 crop. Notice the freckles on the left cheek. I could not capture it on film but you can clearly see it on left image. Notice the pentile matrix rendering problem in the flesh tones.
tron1.png

freckles.png

Full View:
tron_full.jpg

Pentile Matrix AMOLED at its finest..

film_rating.jpg

Lastly, from this very board:
aforum_compare.jpg

If anyone wants to dispute. I have about 2 gigabyte of raw files and more images. This is just a sampler.

Another thrown in for review:

Upvote 0
I agree with one of the original posters that I had been waiting for VZW to get the iPhone but now that I have the Inc, I dont know that I would wanna switch to the Iphone from the android. Like it or not, the EVERYONE has the iPhone so its nothing special. Plus I dont like the heavy handed control Apple seems to take over their apps. They may have fewer issues but I think u lose out on a lot Apple wont let through for whatever reason. Maybe I have logical reasons or myabe its just because Apple is a hyppcrite and sell-out... but just my opinion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones