1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General iPhone 4 vs. Xperia Play

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Smartphoner, Feb 23, 2011.

?

I think that...

1. the iPhone 4 has got a better graphics processor than the Xperia Play

12.0%
  2. the Xperia Play will have better graphics processor than the iPhone 4

88.0%
  1. Smartphoner

Smartphoner Lurker
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    Dear AndroidForums.com visitors,

I know there has already written and discussed many times about the Sony Ericsson's Xperia Play but I'd like to ask it anyway and I'd like to receive and read bright and honest answers on the question that I will ask you now...

We all know that the iPhone 4 has a Apple A4 1GHz processor and from official sources I could check that the Xperia Play will have a Qualcomm

Advertisement

2. OutlawImmortal

None

Jan 19, 2011
    Sergeant
    Kentucky
    If your just looking to play games the play is for you. I'm a noted apple hater but I own an iPhone 4 and hands down it's the best thing I ever bought besides my motorcycle lol

3. Beaker491

Beaker491 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 22, 2010
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    I've had an iphone 4, and while its gaming capabilties were impressive, the fact its still on a 3.5 inch screen on which you have play the game, meant it was quite hard for me to play and see what i was doing, both at the same time, due to me having rather large hands and chubby fingers. So the idea of a 4 inch screen AND a seperate gaming control pad is a big thumbs up for me. Plus, the Xperia Play uses the Snapdragon 1ghz MSM8x55 with adreno 205 gpu, with dual channel 300 herz ddr2 memory, meaing it can keep a constant 60fps refresh rate - link here Sony Ericsson Xperia? PLAY – World?s first authentic gaming smartphone | Developer World

Ian

4. HauntedHallows

HauntedHallows Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    New Mexico
    i switched from a droid x to an iphone 4 recently when it came to verizon. The overall amount of games and the quality of games is 1000x better on iphone. I have played and once you get used to the smaller screen its no big deal, they are not kidding when they say the retina display more then makes up for the size.

You taking a big chance on what games sony releases on the XP, if they dont sell that many who knows how the long term support may end up.

5. vaxick

vaxick Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    I'm not sure you could run out of games when there are emulators.

6. Ickey09

Ickey09 Newbie
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    this will sell... I don't see any way there could be any shortage of games to be honest. I have read talk about call of duty coming out for this. Thats reason enough for me to buy it.

7. Hordriss

Hordriss Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    As someone who like to play video games, the Xperia Play is the hands-down winner for me.

You just can't beat physical buttons when it comes to gaming.

8. mediterrenean

mediterrenean Newbie
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    First of thanks for your reply ;)

I've another question, what do you think about the GPU of the Xperia Play and the GPU of the Samsung Galaxy S2 ?????

I would appreciate if other guys also give their opinion for this question...

9. mediterrenean

mediterrenean Newbie
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    What do you think about the GPU of the Xperia Play and the GPU of the Samsung Galaxy S2 ?????

Which one is better and stronger?????

10. Beaker491

None

Jun 22, 2010
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Hello again, sorry for the late reply.

The play hasn't been extensively benchmarked yet, at least from what i can find using google. It will be faster than all the other single cores out on the market at the present time, due to its dual channel memory configuration. It certainly won't be far behind dual core phones in some respects. Programming of software plays a big part here too.

Compared to other dual core phones, the exynos powered galaxy s 2 is running a bit behind the dual core competition at the minute, link here Samsung's Galaxy S II Preliminary Performance: Mali-400MP Benchmarked - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Personaly if i was looking to get a dual core phone (which i will be if i don't get a Play) i'll be looking at the LG Optimus 3D. Not so much for it's actual 3D screen and video capabilities as such, but for the raw power for gaming it's packing Benchmark results for LG Optimus 3D (featuring Texas Instrument OMAP 4430) Smartbench 2011 result has been revealed! - Smartphone Benchmarks (SmartBench 2010/Quadrant) Forum

Try using the search box on anandtech.com for the lg optimus 3d, and look at the bench mark results for it. They're rather high :) but one downside i can think of, are LG going to support the phone, with games that are reconfigured to run on its different internals? Thats where support from sony for the play comes in.

Hope this helps.

Ian :)

Edit, heres the the link i was on about for you - http://www.anandtech.com/show/4179/ti-omap4-and-lg-optimus-3d-tested

allambition likes this.
  11. mediterrenean

mediterrenean Newbie
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    So you want to say that a "Texas Instruments OMAP" (LG Optimus 3D) processor is more powerful and stronger than a "Tegra 2" and/or a "Exynos" processor?????

12. Beaker491

None

Jun 22, 2010
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Basically yes, but the outright performance power will be next to useless without proper support from developers and manufacturers, like Nvidia and their Tegra Zone and Sony with their Playstation Suite. So i'm just hoping the OMAP 4 processor will get the support from 3rd parties it needs to make it shine. Back on topic :), the Play looks to be the best single core phone for gaming on the market right now.

Ian

13. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Due to low app space on the X Play, it seems the Sony device is handicapped out of the gate. Seems this device is an older design that got a little better chipset, but kept the older app space design. 380mb storage in a device like this is like an April Fools joke.

BTW, luv my Tegra 2 gTablet, but the new OMAP is about 10% better (if that).

TB has almost seven times more app space, but the Play has the game pad and hardly any space. Ironic.

iPhone has more app space too and the games already look way better than PS1 games.