• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Read the post again.

I said google voice APP. You know, you dont need to fire up the browser to access it? Not to mention complete integration?

You need to jailbreak your iphone to get widgets, not included. We are talking out of box here bud. The average user won't jb/root their phone, so its not included in the discussion.

(Yawn)

huh? I have the Google app on my iPad. I press it and the search box comes up. I can speak to it and it will find my location and give me directions just like on my Hero. It doesnt have turn by turn voice, but there are at least 5 iPhone apps that do voice prompted directions. Again, that is NOT something exclusive to Android phones :rolleyes: Quit acting like Android phones have something magical other phones dont, they do not. You get mad at iPhone people for thinking that about their phones. pot, meet kettle.

Upvote 0
huh? I have the Google app on my iPad. I press it and the search box comes up. I can speak to it and it will find my location and give me directions just like on my Hero. It doesnt have turn by turn voice, but there are at least 5 iPhone apps that do voice prompted directions. Again, that is NOT something exclusive to Android phones :rolleyes: Quit acting like Android phones have something magical other phones dont, they do not. You get mad at iPhone people for thinking that about their phones. pot, meet kettle.

Perhaps you should re read my post. I didn't mention any of that garble you listed as a reply.

Upvote 0
@MBELL75
android has endless personalization please don't say the iphone do cause i know all iphone just have icons all over the screen.and don't you have to go into the settings to connect to wifi,bluetooth or gps.and google integration is better on android .

I wont and I prefer Android to iPhone which is why I have the Hero. However, to claim you can do so much more with an Android phone than an iPhone is simply not true. If the iPhone doesnt do it already, there will be an app that does do it or it will once its been jailbroken.

Upvote 0
I wont and I prefer Android to iPhone which is why I have the Hero. However, to claim you can do so much more with an Android phone than an iPhone is simply not true. If the iPhone doesnt do it already, there will be an app that does do it or it will once its been jailbroken.

Well thats how i feel when they claim the iphone can do this and that and i know ANDROID does it as well..oh yea couple more things android have over iphone, open source and open carriers..

Upvote 0
It seems to me that these iProduct vs Android Gadget debates a fruitless and will never win. It's like a Craft Beer drinker (me) debating with a tried and true BudLite drinker. No one will convince the other that their product is the best.

This is what I was getting at. Not trying to accomplish anything, just wondering what Android owners thought.

BTW, my problem with going back to the iPhone would be google voice, which is nice but not a deal breaker, and the potential of an open OS. One of the biggest issues I would have going back to the iPhone is actually Slacker. I cache music on my Droid and right now that isn't available on iPhone and my guess is Apple will never allow it to replace selling music.

Personally, I have already paid for Navigon ($99) for navigation so the navigation isn't an issue. Actually if you have the money to blow iPhone has the advantage for cross country trips, if you haven't already bought nav on the iPhone and don't drive cross county google has the HUGE advantage here. Maps are stored on your iPhone (about 2GB) so you don't have to worry about losing a signal and your maps in the middle of no where. I am actually really glad I didn't switch to the droid before I drove from Dallas to Seattle because I was in the middle of no where with no signal when I ran into a highway closed due to weather. No problem with everything stored locally, I would have been screwed with google maps. I realize this is not the case for most people, I just already have the app on iTunes so it's not an issue for me.

I am just curious to see what happens this summer. I think no matter what there is competition between Apple and google that is going to give us better and better phones. I'm just glad someone finally challenged Apple to force them to create a REAL upgrade unlike the last 2.

Upvote 0
Then why do soooo many people ROOT their Android phones and install custom ROMs? Most do it for increases in speed to laggy dialers, keyboards and other functions as well as overall performance upgrades. Thats the same as a jailbreak on an iPhone. A powerful device like a Droid or Nexus One should not have to be rooted and slapped with a custom ROM to increase speed and performance, these things should be expected...Pot, meet kettle :rolleyes:

Read. I am not only speaking about Droid. I am speaking about all other mobile OS. Secondly, a person doesn't have to root to send an MMS, most phones are capable of video recording. Yet the iPhone only supported it last year. And a jailbreak doesn't resolve hardware.

I am still trying to see your argument. Cuz my iPhone needed a charge just as much as my Desire. Twice daily. Yet I could've multutask on my phone. Heck i did it on my 4 yr old Nokia. At least ppl root for additional features. Ppl jailbreak for basic functiond

Upvote 0
Read. I am not only speaking about Droid. I am speaking about all other mobile OS. Secondly, a person doesn't have to root to send an MMS, most phones are capable of video recording. Yet the iPhone only supported it last year. And a jailbreak doesn't resolve hardware.

I am still trying to see your argument. Cuz my iPhone needed a charge just as much as my Desire. Twice daily. Yet I could've multutask on my phone. Heck i did it on my 4 yr old Nokia. At least ppl root for additional features. Ppl jailbreak for basic functiond

Again, you must not have know anything about your iPhone man. You ARE aware there are 2 big time apps out for years that allow multitasking on an iPhone right? Proswitcher lets you run like up to 50 at a time and Multiflow lets you run a ton as well. There are also multiple apps that let you do MMS on iPhone as well, way before the "fix" was released. Seems you either didnt know, or were just too lazy to jailbreak it and get the most out of it.

Upvote 0
You shouldn't have to hack your phone to get basic functions out of it though, or download apps to have some sort of multitasking. I look at it like this, in the Android market there is an NES emulator, a SNES emulator, Genesis emulator, and other emulators. I don't have to have my phone rooted or have a custom rom for these emulators to work. Iphone, jailbreak it to get these emulators. If I wanted to, I could write an app for android and have it put on the android market at no cost. Iphone, I have to buy the software and the app has to be approved to be on their app store. Google is all good if you want to root your phone, they encourage it. Apple on the other hand, used to brick phones that were jailbroken. The only thing iphone has over stock android, is multi touch. But, there are other alternatives that are way better than the Iphone that have multi touch. Web OS I would argue is one of the best smart phone OS out there. Easy and great multitasking, smooth, and can do a lot easily. Web OS multitasking, card system. Switch between cards and have your programs running. Iphone, exit out of a game or so to check something on the Web. Web OS, switch cards and not have to close your game or web browser. Android, in my case as I'm not sure what it's like on other android phones, hold the home button. But you also know that Jailbreaking is not supported by Apple, and if Apple wanted to they can void any type of warranty on it? Where as with Android phones, unless dictated by the provider, you can put on custom roms and still have your phone covered.

Upvote 0
You shouldn't have to hack your phone to get basic functions out of it though, or download apps to have some sort of multitasking.

You are missing the whole point. Most iPhone users have no need to jailbreak their phone just as many Android users have no need to root and flash their phones. Bottom line is BOTH phones can be HACKED by users who want more control. Its the SAME DAMN THING!! Whats the difference between jailbreaking an iphone and installing an app to do what you want and rooting your Android, flashing a whole new ROM for better performance, battery life and functionality and downloading an app from the market? SAME DAMN THING!!

Go into the Sprint Hero forum and look how many people have to root and/or ROM just to have their dialer and keyboard work correctly with no lag. The Hero is one of the most popular Android phones on the market. So by your logic, you are placing that phone in with the iPhone right? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
You are missing the whole point. Most iPhone users have no need to jailbreak their phone just as many Android users have no need to root and flash their phones. Bottom line is BOTH phones can be HACKED by users who want more control. Its the SAME DAMN THING!! Whats the difference between jailbreaking an iphone and installing an app to do what you want and rooting your Android, flashing a whole new ROM and downloading an app from the market? SAME DAMN THING!!

Go into the Sprint Hero forum and look how many people have to root and/or ROM just to have their dialer and keyboard work correctly with no lag. The Hero is one of the most popular Android phones on the market. So by your logic, you are placing that phone in with the iPhone right? :rolleyes:

I'm going to find it funny when apple decides to flip that magic switch to brick all the jailbroken phones. Why you would let someone exert that much control over a device you supposedly own is beyond me. How smart is it to buy a phone you will never completely own? If your dumb enough to do that... we'll.. why should we take any advice from you at all?

Upvote 0
I'm going to find it funny when apple decides to flip that magic switch to brick all the jailbroken phones. Why you would let someone exert that much control over a device you supposedly own is beyond me. How smart is it to buy a phone you will never completely own? If your dumb enough to do that... we'll.. why should we take any advice from you at all?

I know tons of people with jailbroken iPhones, never had an issue with them at all. Will you also find it funny when some idiot comes along and builds an app for Android that steals all your personal info including your online banking stuff? Will you also laugh when someone builds an app for Android that bricks your phone? Being open source where anyone can upload an app to the market, I can guarantee you stuff like that will be coming. Then maybe the idea of someone having to approve apps to make sure they are not malicious wont seem like such a bad idea eh?

Upvote 0
I know tons of people with jailbroken iPhones, never had an issue with them at all. Will you also find it funny when some idiot comes along and builds an app for Android that steals all your personal info including your online banking stuff? Will you also laugh when someone builds an app for Android that bricks your phone? Being open source where anyone can upload an app to the market, I can guarantee you stuff like that will be coming. Then maybe the idea of someone having to approve apps to make sure they are not malicious wont seem like such a bad idea eh?

My previous statement still stands.

Who does online banking on their phone? Much easier just to cal l .

People who don't know how to read app permissions and get victimized it is their fault.

Some people need mommy and daddy(steve jobs in this case for the iLemmings) to tell them what to do.for the rest of us, we can make our own decisions.

Upvote 0
This is good - this was on the CNN/Gizmodo video :D

Attachments

• iPhone4_Android.JPG
    iPhone4_Android.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0
You are missing the whole point. Most iPhone users have no need to jailbreak their phone just as many Android users have no need to root and flash their phones. Bottom line is BOTH phones can be HACKED by users who want more control. Its the SAME DAMN THING!! Whats the difference between jailbreaking an iphone and installing an app to do what you want and rooting your Android, flashing a whole new ROM for better performance, battery life and functionality and downloading an app from the market? SAME DAMN THING!!

It's funny how you first say that you don't get all that you can out the iphone if you don't jailbreak it, and now you say that people don't need to. Please make up your mind fast. Difference between jailbreaking your iphone, and rooting your android is jailbreaking is not covered by Apple. If you root your phone, google or like I said the provider won't care if they don't have any TOS against that. And downloading and flashing a new rom isn't the same as rooting or jailbreaking. My phone isn't rooted. Works great. And like I said before, and after I told you already I don't like to repeat myself in another post, Google encourages rooting and improving your system. You don't seem to get that, but that's the problem with people who follow Apple like a lost kitten. Android is completely open, Iphone is closed source. That's the big difference.

Upvote 0
More classic trolling. Please tell us. What will you be able to do on a Nexus One or Droid you cant on the iPhone 4.0? And dont say some lame BS like live wallpapers, no one cares enough to choose a phone because of that.

install whatever app I want, without the risk of the manufacturer actively trying to destroy my phone?

That's a good one right there.

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones