1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

iPhone 4S Revealed... No Regrets!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by tbhausen, Oct 4, 2011.

1. afrost55

afrost55 Newbie

I'd assume this is how many companies operate these days. Original ideas are dime a dozen.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ari-free

ari-free Android Expert

Soon we're going to have superamoled+ AND larger screen AND the retinal dpi resolution.

3. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert

I wonder how you can actually say this, having never owned a GS2? I'd love to know how you think the GS2 "falls short of the iPhone in many ways".

4. Medion

Medion Android Expert

I missed this when focusing on other things, wanted to comment on this.

Nexus 1 - It may have been "based" on another platform, but that other platform came out 2-3 months later. The N1 was first to market, and didn't really have a phone that truly outclassed it until the first dual-core arrived over a year later. This was truly a marvel for it's time. You're absolutely right in that it raised the bar, as this became the standard bearer for Android.

Nexus S - It was a little late to the party in terms of hardware. Hardware nuts like me were primarily upset that they didn't wait a month or two in order to make it the first dual-core. But, it was still a standard bearer. The curved glass display was relatively unique (and still is). In fact, it's the first one I'm aware of. Going with 16GB of integrated storage was uncommon at the time. It was the first Android phone to use NFC. Definitely not the standard bearer that the N1 was, but still a solid phone and worthy of consideration, even today.

I have no doubt that the Nexus Prime, or whatever it ends up being called, will be an amazing device, even if the specs aren't perfect.

EarlyMon likes this.
  5. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Android Expert

Novox: well said.

6. Remeniz

Remeniz Android Enthusiast

@Ussrbuddy

When you compare an an iPhone with an Android unit it's only fair you compare the premium Google phones with the iPhones... like the SGS2 that I have.

Just for the record...

My phone hasn't randomly 'restart'.

My phone hasn't randomly 'close apps'

And lag?? On the SGS2? What's lag may I ask...?

What i'm trying to say is that Google's premium phones are up there with the iPhone 4/4S and hardware wise 'I think' the former are superior. But I also know folk with iPhones that don't work as well as they should - compare like for like on both sides of the fence and understand that both are not perfect.

Now to get back on topic. I like to watch what's happening with the competition as I feel I have invested in Google so I will naturally keep a close eye on Google's developments for Android and Samsung's hardware offerings compared to Apple's. But i'd say i'm sitting quite comfortably right now and will look forward to the next premium hardware offering from Samsung, next year, and Android OS.

:D

7. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

Good point.

Remeniz likes this.

8. That voice actions app isn't very good at all. It can't even do something simple like show me what movies are playing at local theaters. I tried asking it about 12 different ways and it does everything from take me into Astro file manager to pulling up Youtube videos about Dream Theater. Also, I asked it who Michael Jackson was and it gave me a picture which was good but when I asked when he was born, it just said "Awhile ago". Really? When I asked when he died, it said "There are some things in the past we can't change". Huh? It has a LONG way to go before matching something like Siri. You are correct, Apple doesn't really invent anything but they are masters at taking something existing that isn't that great and making it great. Like the MP3 player, the smartphone and the tablet computer.

EarlyMon likes this.
  9. ari-free

ari-free Android Expert

Just because Apple has a lot of 'hype' doesn't mean things are easier and work better. My dad is not only a 'newb' to smartphones but to PC's (wow! you mean you can also use facebook on the computer?) and he loves Android on his mytouch 4g slide.

He even showed ME how to use bluetooth to share links to apps (must've learned it from one of the Chinese waiters at the restaurant where he works).

10. Greenish2011

Greenish2011 Newbie

Agreed.

I do not think many buyers out there know much or care about the technology side of the story, they want a phone, everyone is using iPhones it's all over the news, and there we go!

11. Are people doubting the iP4S is going to sell? LOL. Apple went thru all 200k preorders 6 hours after they started taking them and that doesn't even begin to count all the other places taking preorders for them and what they will actually sell day its released. It could easily sell 500k first day its out. People who are saying it won't sell are probably the geniuses who said the iPad was just a big iPhone and that would flop too :rolleyes: