• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root iPhone 5 or HTC Evo V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've played with it. It's better than the Evo in almost every aspect. Minus the OS restrictions.

It's fast. The cameras are awesome (the front face camera looks better than our rear cameras tbh). The screen looks better than real life.

That's all it has really going for it. I'm sure the GSIII is better (I played with a GSII and it's tons better than a Evo V)

Personally, I prefer Android due to the fact that it has better sound output (yup, that's one of the only things.).

I'd really rather they get the next Nexus phone or something.

I've used it too, and the older ones, they are very nice. This one should be better than the evo, it's 15 months newer and costs over twice as much. With recent sales on the evo, it might even be 3 times as much.

The thing is, for me anyway, I don't see the added value, over the evo, considering the very large price premium. There's not a whole lot it can do that the evo can't, (if anything?) so it really is of no use to me. I can say the same about the galaxy 3. I find touchwiz ugly and not that great, and while they say the phone is sturdy, it sure doesn't feel like it. Yes it's fast and is the latest and greatest, but what does it REALLY do that the evo doesn't? Outside NFC... I don't know but it doesn't seem like much. Even NFC is kind of useless at this point, which is why apple didn't even bother to put it in the new iphone.

I do prefer the camera on the iphone over most other phones, but I can't think of much else I would take from it and add to the evo, if I could. Even that isn't really a big deal since I have a regular camera anyway. I also don't like internal batteries and storage, so those are big drawbacks on iphone.

Now that's me, I'm a function over form guy. If you want the top of the line manufacturing aesthetics, that's really what the iphone offers over the competitors, imo.

But for people on vm, or at least for me, I am not looking for the top of the line. If I was, I'd be on verizon. At some price point, the prepay model starts to look silly. People are going to pay over $600 for the phone, in order to pay less? That's not what I'm after. I'm after the sweet spot, best bang for the buck. Paying over $600 for a smart phone, that's well beyond the sweet spot. With the evo, you get virtually all the functionality of the top of the line for much less money. Sweet spot.

If you care about impressing your friends, then I guess you need an iphone or galaxy 3. I still am not following how every college kid these days has an iphone, I thought college kids were poor? At least that's how it was when I was there. Apparently priorities have shifted such that it's so important to these kids to have the latest and greatest phone, that they will proudly display their iphone while eating ramen noodles??? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Nice - I did not know that!!!! I guess the dozens of threads in THIS forum about MMS errors are all imagined. And HTC 'dumbed down' the radio software so users would purposely get constant errors on sending/receiving text messages? Thats some business plan.
Perhaps the HTC CEO is George Costanza and hes doing the 'exact opposite' of what he should do for a successful campaign.;)

Wait, hold it.

You see 5 threads and let's say 20 people having a problem, let;s get soem perspective though... That is 20 people out of how many?

About a year ago, 3 people in a row complained about one problem with Harmonia for the Optimus V. Within 24 hours word had spread to 3 different android forums (by one person) that Harmonia had a massive bug. What this person failed to grasp was that 3000(!) people had installed Harmonia without any problem. Does 3 people actually indicate a problem?

People with problems complain louder than those without.

Don't take a few threads as evidence that the phone is broken.

Upvote 0
I'd take the current Nexus, cause I hold it's the best phone on the market. Vanilla Android and first support from Google means a lot to most of us... because obviously we all want CM10 (those of us who have taken the leap to s-off anyway).

The SIII might be better in many ways, but it's still a little silly. Without a case it feels like I could break it over my knew without even a bruise, and it only comes in blue and white. White makes you look like an early 90's pimp and blue doesn't match enough of my clothing.

And then there's Touchwiz, but I'll leave that one alone...

I played with my friends SII and the thing that really got me was the screens clarity and its touch response.

Upvote 0
iphone for sure. i was exceptionally happy with my evo v til the OP just told me that it overheats quickly even when underclocked. i have mine overclocked and while i was certain ive never experienced any issues with heat even with OC, theres no way hed make a post about it unless it was 100% true. rather than assume he did something wrong, has a rogue app eating up resources and putting the cpu to work, its simply his battery is heating up and not the phone, he is measuring temperature while it is on the charger, or other variables, i am just going to take his word for it. apple products are known to never get even slightly warm and many people put ipads to their face to keep cool in the summer heat.

the choice is simple man, dip out of here and get yourself that iphone.

Upvote 0
I'm still trying to get a more unbiased opinion of this whole ordeal but to me, the whole argument really is a lost cause...

The fast is, what works for you is what works for you. That's really the fact.

It *ultimately* boils down to this - do you want something thats simple and (i dont want to admit it but this is unbiased) stylish or do you want something open and controllable with the great google services. Including the fact that you can actually have all your apps tied into your google account allowing you to download them as many times and on however many devices you want. There is also a 15 minute refund time window which I think is smart. I do feel like I am being biased still, so I will say that iTunes also has a good system that works with syncing your data going back and forth between your mac/pc and your iPhone.

The price point is a bit outlandish to be compared, so are the camera's on both.. lol

I can't really give a truely unbiased response because ive never used an iphone for myself nor do I plan to.

and... yes, why is this in all things root? xD

edit: Just went thru looking on a full out thread about who's better.. gave me some good laughs because it was on a mac forums so you know there'll be a lotta fanboys there.. I just really wanted to intervene them. At least the people that discuss it here are quite level headed which I appreciate and something I can deal with xD

Upvote 0
one quick question for all of you IPHONE lovers?.....
What the hell are you doing in a Android Forum. There is nothing wrong with this phone itself. Its the Virgin Network. Go grab a shiny new IPHONE. connect it to Virgin Mobile, You will see similar issues. The same as This phone. If you are on Virgin You have to understand that you are using Sprints network....but its different. we dont have priority. which results in a less than desirable user experience. If you change the radio to a sprint radio the problems are solved.

I have not had one issue with signal or sms errors since I flashed a radio.
And as far as overheating... Thats Bullshit.. Its either a rogue app or Incompatable software... or overclocking way toooo much. Most problems are caused by Operator error.

mkand1.gif

mkand2.gif

Upvote 0
iphone for sure. i was exceptionally happy with my evo v til the OP just told me that it overheats quickly even when underclocked. i have mine overclocked and while i was certain ive never experienced any issues with heat even with OC, theres no way hed make a post about it unless it was 100% true. rather than assume he did something wrong, has a rogue app eating up resources and putting the cpu to work, its simply his battery is heating up and not the phone, he is measuring temperature while it is on the charger, or other variables, i am just going to take his word for it. apple products are known to never get even slightly warm and many people put ipads to their face to keep cool in the summer heat.

the choice is simple man, dip out of here and get yourself that iphone.

Sarcasm?...

Upvote 0
my iPod gets hot all the time so I know that's bs smh

Go with whichever phone does the things you want. I had the same decision to make about four months ago, and I listed the things that I wanted to do with the phone - internet, a bit of hacking to customize the OS/GUI, play SCUMMVM games, etc.. In my case, the winner was the Evo because it had 4G. If I was making the choice now, it might be different (e.g. the camera on the Evo is a POS - I would choose a phone with a better camera).

You should consider if you want to switch to a different phone service provider if you're going to get a iPhone. May as well maximise the experience instead of having to be a "guest" on the Sprint network.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones