• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone 5 - Retina 4" Display?

I do not think iPhone 5 (or 4S, etc.) will use a 720p display. It would cause too much problem with iPhone apps because many are designed for the standard iPhone display size before iPhone 4, 480x320. Notice that iPhone 4's resolution is exactly twice of this, 960x640. It made it easier for older apps to scale to the new display by simply doubling the pixels. 720p would not afford that benefit. Who knows though, maybe Apple will do it anyway.

As for Apple having to wait for a "retina" density AMOLED screen, I find this doubtful. If you recall the introduction of iPhone 4, Steve Jobs stated that the Retina screen is superior to AMOLED screens. Another intriguing rumor (from Eldar Murtazin) :

Apple-Samsung lawsuit a battle over Samsung Galaxy S3 and the iPhone 5, both slated for fall release - Phone Arena

Murtazin speculates that Apple is suing Samsung because it won't share the upcoming high pixel density AMOLED screen with Apple (not enough production to supply its own needs and Apple's needs, supposedly.) This is probably pure speculation but it could be true.

Upvote 0
Remember, "retinal" resolution came about for only two reasons.

The iP3gs res was too low and dated.

Scaling number of pixels in each dimension times 2 made for simple app changes so the graphics would changes could be kept simple.

All else - sales pitch.

yes, sorry, I should have clarified, by "retina" i don't mean some Apple shizz.

I just mean Super AMOLED + EPIC number of PPI! :p

Upvote 0
PPI is one part, screen size and viewing distance are the others.

When I hold my 4.3" 480x800 display at a comfortible distance from eyes, and between me and my 15" 1440x900 laptop, it matches a quarter of my laptop's effective area - yielding a higher EFFECTIVE res than my laptop.

So, I've been happy, personally.

As wisely mentioned earlier, qHD can help scaling HD content if that's your pleasure.

Apparent sharpness comes from different factors for still vs. moving pictures. For movies, color, saturation, contrast all come before PPI in perceiving detail. For print, PPI matters more. Just comes down to what your favorite uses are for your screen.

Just rambling. Cheers!

Upvote 0
About half the threads in here have some comment/reference/comparison to the iPhone. For folks who claim to not like the iPhone/Apple, they sure spend a ton of time _talking_ about the iPhone :D

It's just the endless Apple fanboys invading the Android forums. They probably worry more about Android than whats for dinner every night.

With the tension between Apple and Samsung, I doubt Samsung will allow Apple to use their OLED tech.

Really I see Samsung as being an increasing threat to Apple. Unlike Apple, Samsung also controls the manufacturing process. Apple has to contract that out to others, even including samsung.

Maybe I'm crazy but it seems to me the SGS2 could compare to the iPhone in sales by itself.

Upvote 0
Of course Steve Jobs says retina is better than AMOLED. Any marketing guy will say their product is better. Didn't he say 3G wasn't necessary when the first iPhone didn't support it?

Anyway, if retina means 300+ PPI, then that's different from AMOLED which is a way of lighting the pixels. The ideal would be an AMOLED display with 300+ PPI.

If only year-end could come faster...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones