• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone 5 versus Android

alnaintl

Lurker
Aug 30, 2012
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kevin and I wanted to know everyone's thoughts on whether or not it is worth waiting to see what the iPhone 5 has in store before buying an Android?

Personally, I like Android and am anti-apple. But, I'm curious too.

Welcome to the forums! :)

The best phone is the one that is best for you.

The iPhone 5 will be a thing. Android is a broad selection of things.

Android is all about choice, so the main deal is that you can choose one that is right for your needs in power, storage and size, and carrier and budget.

Plus, Android is more flexible out of the box, because your option allows you to choose from a range extending from plain Android to various manufacturer add-ons.

My wife's phone and mine look nothing alike at face value, they're customized to our tastes, but under the hood both are Android, very flexible and plenty capable.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

If you are anti-Apple, I highly doubt that the next iPhone is going to make you want to get one instead of an Android phone.

Is there something that you want your phone to do that you do not feel that an Android phone can suit your needs?

The only real benefit of waiting is that prices for phones may drop a bit. The disadvantage of waiting is that you will not get the use of a new phone during that time you are waiting.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
The smartphone market is now at the point where Apple has to catch up to Android in terms of quality and features, so for that reason I highly doubt Apple will release a revolutionary product that blows android out of the water. As usual they will release a good, but not great, product that is vastly overpriced and has better functionality as a fashion accessory than as a smartphone.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kevin and I wanted to know everyone's thoughts on whether or not it is worth waiting to see what the iPhone 5 has in store before buying an Android?

How do you compare any Android phone to a phone that hasn't been released and there are no factual specs?

You should pick the phone that is best for your needs on the carrier that is best for you.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

How can anyone not like Apple unless they can't afford it? It's glass and aluminum. It's a beautiful thing and is revolutionary.

Upvote 0
How can anyone not like Apple unless they can't afford it? It's glass and aluminum. It's a beautiful thing and is revolutionary.

I can afford it, have used several models including the 4s, and don't care for it very much at all.

And beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

To me, beauty in a mobile phone is something that is built rugged to begin with, then armored by a black Defender case.

I far preferred the more practical styling of the 3gs, because form ought follow function.

Please change your mind about price snobbery, it's just so far from being an issue, it's not funny. :D

Upvote 0

I can buy 20 32gb iphones right now if i wanted to with the surplus money i have, but i'm not going to and never will because i think they're crap imo. And that's the thing I don't like about some iphone users. Some of them think you use Android because you can't afford an iphone which is so far from the truth. I just don't like being ripped off with their over hyped products.

Reactions: rikki1984
Upvote 0

It hasn't been revolutionary since the 3GS. When the 4S was released, it was already running 8 month old specs. They need a huge refresh to keep interest high. I hate Apple and everything they stand for and will NEVER purchase a product, but I love technology and hope they finally come to their senses. Rehashing the same product is not innovation. Lawyers are not innovation. I would love to see another game changer because it's good for the consumers. Constantly raising the bar is how we arrived where we are today.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

Short Answer: Kinda depends why you dislike Apple and like Android.

Long Answer: iPhone 5 will offer:

• a slightly larger screen (4" to previous models 3.5" but still on the low end of Android screen sizes which run 4.3"-5.8" today.)
  • LTE antenna (the standard for all top cell phones coming out in the US this year)
  • NFC (another standard in Android phones)
  • iOS 6 (bringing a new turn-by-turn mapping service provided by TomTom, again Android has had this since early days)
  • 9 pin connector (abandoning the 30 pin staple forcing people to get adapters or buy new accessories)

With iPhone you also get Siri which has better whole device integration than Google Now does at the moment. Google's voice translation is excellent but the feature can't control your whole device yet. And Google Now is only available on Jellybean phones.

With iPhone you do get the whole Apple ecosystem experience: a physical store for tech help, lots of accessories, a fully cultured iTunes store for music, apps and video, the best integration with Mac computers and Apple TV. i.e. the walled garden. I can see why Apple has a lot of fans.

That said, I left the Apple ecosystem because I found iOS to be too limiting. In order to get things like widgets and live wallpaper or file system access you need to jailbreak and install custom apps. Every iOS device (phone, tablet, etc.) has the exact same folder/app icon interface. It bores me and quickly becomes cluttered when you install over 20 apps. (I normally have 100 or more on my device.) And if you want to drop a few files for on the go use (like a video), you'll have a MUCH EASIER time doing it on an Android with file access.

Another plus for Android is you don't need to use iTunes EVER on Windows. If you have a Windows computer, Apple becomes a huge downgrade because of iTunes IMHO. If I had a $1 for every time it hung, crashed or had to be reinstalled on my system I could pay for several iPhones.

A lot of people are waiting to see what iPhone 5 has on offer, so it's reasonable to hold on a couple weeks. We're all wondering if Apple has a secret surprise to get everyone buzzing or will it be just what has been rumored. The rumors seem to say iPhone5 will play specs catch-up to Android phones.

You'll still have your Apple fans who enjoy the walled garden integration of phone to tablet and laptop/desktop. And there are those who will prefer a smaller handset to do one-handed use. Then there will be those who pass on the upgrade because it's mediocre or get annoyed with the change in dock connector.

Oh and Samsung will immediately file suit if Apple announces LTE. Those fireworks make the iPhone5 announcement a truly popcorn moment.

Reactions: Bramsy
Upvote 0
The iPhone 5 is probably going to be the most talked about phone, with the most sales, longest lines to buy, the most accessories, the most positive reviews, yada yada yada. Millions of people will line up to get their piece of the pie. And probably less than 20% will actually know if the iPhone is the best phone for them. They will buy it because their friends are buying them. This is what draws me to Android users the most. They had to actually make one conscious decision when they got their phone, which one to buy, which form factor. With android, at least on the outside, you got the phone YOU thought best fit you. Not the one that best fit your friend, or the head cheerleader, or class president (if it's even a fit for them). like all electronic devices, even the iPhone is a good fit for some, and maybe that is you. But for everyone else.... Get an Android. ;)

Upvote 0
The smartphone market is now at the point where Apple has to catch up to Android in terms of quality and features, so for that reason I highly doubt Apple will release a revolutionary product that blows android out of the water. As usual they will release a good, but not great, product that is vastly overpriced and has better functionality as a fashion accessory than as a smartphone.

Apple makes a phone a year. Androids have what...100 models a year? Do the math...
As a New Yorker would say get outta here! Lol

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

Considering it's only 13 days away, yes, it's worth waiting to see if Apple has a super-secret killer feature in the iPhone 5. I think you'll end up buying an Android anyway, but until that day, we will never know

Reactions: McBuzz
Upvote 0
Short Answer: Kinda depends why you dislike Apple and like Android.

Long Answer: iPhone 5 will offer:

• a slightly larger screen (4" to previous models 3.5" but still on the low end of Android screen sizes which run 4.3"-5.8" today.)
  • LTE antenna (the standard for all top cell phones coming out in the US this year)
  • NFC (another standard in Android phones)
  • iOS 6 (bringing a new turn-by-turn mapping service provided by TomTom, again Android has had this since early days)
  • 9 pin connector (abandoning the 30 pin staple forcing people to get adapters or buy new accessories)

With iPhone you also get Siri which has better whole device integration than Google Now does at the moment. Google's voice translation is excellent but the feature can't control your whole device yet. And Google Now is only available on Jellybean phones.

Siri totally sucks though. It doesn't work half the time you try to use it. Look up some YouTube videos of Google voice search vs siri if you want some laughs

So while siri may have better integration, its crippled by not actually working

Reactions: cleanmop3
Upvote 0

The IPhone is an overhyped, underwhelming, and overpriced (for it's capability, or lack thereof) device. It is marketed for those who are happy with the status quo of a ho-hum device from a performance standpoint, and see an IDevice as a status symbol.

While the majority of Android users do not root, overclock, or flash custom ROM's, we have the ability to do so. The ones that do are usually happy with their device, yet still want to see how far we can push the envelope. We are the ones that can pick up a 2 generation old device and have it running the latest software and performing at a near current generation level within a matter of an hour or two. We aren't afraid to try different things with our phones even with the risks and disclaimers.

Upvote 0
I'm not getting this whole bit about iPhones being more expensive. Are the people saying that living outside the US, perhaps?

The latest iPhone subsidized by carriers (which is the usual way Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint do it here) is the same price as the high-end new Android phones. And the previous version of the iPhone is the same price as (or sometimes cheaper than) the low-end Android phones.

Upvote 0
I seriously can't see what makes an iPhone so "revolutionary". Even this upcoming iPhone 5. Seriously. The 4S and the 4 were underwhelming and disappointing when they were launched, and with Tim Cook's leadership, its hard for me to expect anything out of them.

They've made a point about they don't have much fragmentation because there's only one size for developers to deal with. Now, they'll have a 4" iPhone and 7" iPad.

A 4" screen is a big deal for them since they've been stuck with 3.5" for so long. I do not know how they'll get all those apps and games to work with the new size. They addressed the low res of previous iPhones by doubling up the pixels for the iPhone 4 to keep everything the same for pixel perfect apps. This new rumored size is also taller so everything will have to stretch.

Upvote 0
Android can and does put out phones for every taste and budget. Apple doesn't. If they did, then Apple might be a true competitor. If phone companies start to lessen subsidies (which is being touted) it would probably hit Apple the hardest. With Android having so many mfg, there would be more opportunity for creative marketing.

Upvote 0
Android can and does put out phones for every taste and budget. Apple doesn't. If they did, then Apple might be a true competitor. If phone companies start to lessen subsidies (which is being touted) it would probably hit Apple the hardest. With Android having so many mfg, there would be more opportunity for creative marketing.

Android still needs someone to come up with a pretty phone for those who like those things (I for one don't care and would much rather have a waterproof phone with a slide out keyboard).
I know Sony can do it but they've been pretty weak so far in the US.

Upvote 0
They've made a point about they don't have much fragmentation because there's only one size for developers to deal with. Now, they'll have a 4" iPhone and 7" iPad.

A 4" screen is a big deal for them since they've been stuck with 3.5" for so long. I do not know how they'll get all those apps and games to work with the new size. They addressed the low res of previous iPhones by doubling up the pixels for the iPhone 4 to keep everything the same for pixel perfect apps. This new rumored size is also taller so everything will have to stretch.

Still nothing revolutionary about that. For an iPhone user that will be a step up. For an Android user everything an iPhone is or could be is a step down, or at best a parallel move. The only iOS device that probably could win against a comparable Android device is an iPad vs ASUS Transformer Infinity/Galaxy Tab, and yet both Android devices have aces up their sleeves that could turn a consumer for them agains the iPad. The iPad has the larger number of tablet optimized apps running in its favor though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones