• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone 5

ive got a couple friends waiting in line to try and get one..... i did convince 1 to try out my s3, so he's grabbing one instead of the iphone after many and many reviews of the s3 and comparisons to the i5, on the other hand, i have a older friend (senior citizen) who swears by apple mobile products and think its the best thing since sliced bread started selling, then i showed him google wallet :) and how i bought our coffee with my phone, and my pack of smokes, needless to say he is very disappointed with apple for no nfc, and a smaller screen, still.

Yep it's really curious to me. GS3 is equivalent if not better hardware, yet I don't recall people sleeping outside the store to get one. I don't recall watching CNBC and seeing NOTHING BUT IPHONE all day long.....the I-Economy, the I-this, the I-that.

Apple has some powerful pixie dust that many seem to fall into a trance over

Upvote 0
What do I think ? I think if we have one more Apple / iPhone related thread on this site I might just go buy one to see what all the hype is about. :pound: :D;)

I couldn't agree more. I can't tell you how many ios/maps threads I read yesterday.

I say, who cares? Apple users like what they like and us Android users like what we like! Please dont clutter up this forum with trivial stuff, that will most likely turn into a "bash" X apple product thread.

These types of postings add no value to this forum and cheap the quality of the forum.

Reactions: treb1797
Upvote 0
I just don't get it. A year from now the iphone 6 might be close to the equal of the GS3 and yet these people are camping out for a clearly inferior iphone 5. Just goes to show what good marketing, and group think "got to have it" mentality will lead people to... Shrug.

I did get to play with an iphone 5 today for a long while and I am not impressed with the hardware or the new turn by turn program. Nice phone but not nearly equal to an S3 or even the latest Moto and LG androids.

Upvote 0
I'll be honest, I all most put in an order last week to get one, been thinking about getting another line so could upgrade once a year, but then saw a post that there's a Asus padfone 2 event on the 13th, and figured I'd wait to see if this version comes to the US this time =D

Yes I do own a S3 but it would be nice to spice up the day with a choice of what phone I want to rock for the day :D

Upvote 0
If the silver scratches bothered me, I'd totally try to cover it with a sharpie ;) But I'm one of those people who think normal wear and tear makes my devices well-loved. You should see my dSLR.

Still, for something with very good resale value, I'd try hard to preserve the condition of an iPhone. I'd wrap it in a case. And the extra money I get for it when I sell it will help me buy the next iPhone at full price.

Maybe Apple should call the next iPhone the iPhone 2. Why? Cause they skipped 2. And because:
27138706.jpg

Upvote 0
Eh, I just can't get into iPhones IMO. I have played with one before and I just can't see it. After playing both the iphone and my Inspire I have to say I prefer android more.
But if people like the iPhone there's nothing in the world wrong with that, but I jsut prefer the openness of Android more. More freedom, more customization, more variety, more to choose from.

Upvote 0
Well my iPhone 5 has arrived and in have to say that it's not better than the S3. Geekbench performance slower, disturbingly video playback on you tube is not as crisp. It also feels cheaper than the 4S. Hmmmm. Have Apple pulled a fast one over us?

Jury still out but I suspect my iPhone 5 will be heading back to its mothership.

Actually, I took a look at one today. I found YT to be as sharp as one would expect on any phone with a similar screen size. YT on my Triumph looked good as it did on a run of the mill cell.

The S3 is grand indeed. I am interested in getting one because of the larger screen. Very sharp and bright.

In thinking about things, is there a YouTube test screen so people can see how sharp their phone really is? Whejn I sold cameras, we tested the optics by shooting a picture of a newspaper. It was not just the lens sharpness, but color rendition and grey scale.

We used the same film, aperature, exposure and distance. I could quickly tell which lens was sharper.

On YT, I can fake videos to make any phone look like crap. So does YT have a way to test something like this? Anyone know?

I do not think the new iPhone is cheaper. I was able to conpae them side by side.

Upvote 0
If the silver scratches bothered me, I'd totally try to cover it with a sharpie ;) But I'm one of those people who think normal wear and tear makes my devices well-loved. You should see my dSLR.

1- Go back in time, visit me at Bill Shipler Photo and ask for a bottle of Kodak Black Brushing Lacquer.
2- Clean the damaged area, shake the bottle well and apply a single coat over the scratch and allow it to dry for about 30 minutes.
3- Rub the covered area with a little toothpaste and buff with a soft cloth.

Problem solved.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Actually, I took a look at one today. I found YT to be as sharp as one would expect on any phone with a similar screen size. YT on my Triumph looked good as it did on a run of the mill cell.

The S3 is grand indeed. I am interested in getting one because of the larger screen. Very sharp and bright.

In thinking about things, is there a YouTube test screen so people can see how sharp their phone really is? Whejn I sold cameras, we tested the optics by shooting a picture of a newspaper. It was not just the lens sharpness, but color rendition and grey scale.

We used the same film, aperature, exposure and distance. I could quickly tell which lens was sharper.

On YT, I can fake videos to make any phone look like crap. So does YT have a way to test something like this? Anyone know?

I do not think the new iPhone is cheaper. I was able to conpae them side by side.

There are hd videos on YouTube ( scenic videos stuff of that nature) that you could use to test the two. But the videos are 1080p...

Upvote 0
Poor people are happy with a 4 inch slightly bump up iPhone 4S. People were screaming as they were allowed in. The wifey wanted a white one so got that and a free apple T-shirt for her. Happy with my One X'er.

That's just it, you see. People ARE happy with the smaller screen or they would not buy the device. And I'll say it again . . . ALL Android manufacturers want what Apple has. They want big sales numbers. This is simply a fact.

And as soon as some amazing new Android device arrives that makes people rn screaming to the latest Android seller, you will likely say how cool it is.

I think Apple iPhone dislikrs should stop assuming that every consumer is the same and if they do not buy some large screen uber phone, they are mdless fools.

Some people want a nice phone and they trust Apple. Apple's sales figures prove people love Apple.

Upvote 0
How is Verizon's LTE doing? The iPhone has totally screwed AT&Ts LTE! It would usually take a few seconds to download an app under 5MB. It literally took me 48 seconds to download a 3.4MB app earlier tonight. I uninstalled it, got on my wifi and it downloaded in a second. Not only that but my Speedtest results show it too. I would average between 5-7Mbps down and around 2-3 up. Been running different tests most the day and I am lucky to hit 3Mbps down and 1 up. Most are around 2 down and under 1 up. F**k you iPhone!

Upvote 0
Yep. That's the whole enchilada in a nutshell.

The sharp knife cuts in both directions.

No more, no less.

It's all early now. All that matters is to come. Actual responses from real-world users.

Everything else is speculation. ;) :)

I think alot has something to do with only one Apple (iOS) phone being released yearly as to numerous android devices.

Upvote 0
How is Verizon's LTE doing? The iPhone has totally screwed AT&Ts LTE! It would usually take a few seconds to download an app under 5MB. It literally took me 48 seconds to download a 3.4MB app earlier tonight. I uninstalled it, got on my wifi and it downloaded in a second. Not only that but my Speedtest results show it too. I would average between 5-7Mbps down and around 2-3 up. Been running different tests most the day and I am lucky to hit 3Mbps down and 1 up. Most are around 2 down and under 1 up. F**k you iPhone!

Not sure I get your rant. Perhaps has something to do with so many iPhone users these days? My theory is it is your phone. You are not the first Google beta tester reporting such things.

Besides, we all know that Android cannot operate efficiently on 4G/LTE. What happens is it is simulated. They are just faking it to prepare you for 5G that will arrive sometimes around Christmas.:rolleyes:

I suggest getting a ham ticket and try a real man's hobby. You can run 2,000 watts of power and at 300GHzz. Lets see your silly Hemroid I mean Android phone do that!

You need to stop beta testing phones for Google and get a real phone... an iPhone. Remember, they are insanely great.:D

Upvote 0
So much for premium quality materials. I predicted this would happen. You are bound to take shortcuts when faced with hyper intense competition. It's not that the Apple people are stupid. They are just overwhelmed.

I think they were too busy on thinking of how to "crush" their competition though lawsuits and so full of hate that they forgot to concentrate on their own product

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones