• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone 5

I think alot has something to do with only one Apple (iOS) phone being released yearly as to numerous android devices.

Not my point. Android is represented by many devices per year and sells well, therefore people love it. I have said that before. Does the same hold for the iPhone? Yes. It's a question of dollars, not dollars per model.

Upvote 0
How many cross OS benchmarks are available? I didn't think it was too many.

Enough to know it's faster, some of this could be due to IOS6 but it doesnt matter.

Disappointed with Android Manufacturers, we have many and not one of them could put something out in time to compete.

S4 Quad Core with Adreno 320 should beat it once released, also Samsung's latest Prototype device with Cortex A15 and Mali T604 looks interesting but thats months away..

AnandTech - The iPhone 5 Performance Preview

Upvote 0
I think they were too busy on thinking of how to "crush" their competition though lawsuits and so full of hate that they forgot to concentrate on their own product

Naw, Apple spends more time creating stuff and bringing its stuff to market. Their lawsuits are just a part of doing business.

The new iPhone is a great device and they will sell lots of them.

Go Team Apple

Upvote 0
Compairing iphones to andriods is silly if you want an adroid phone you have a multitude of manufacturers and carriers as well if you want an iphone its going to be apple and you are limited to the carriers that apple allows to have them.personally. I chose android because I could get the features I wanted with a carrier I wanted for under 150 bucks and truth be told the whole i-everything is a little too McDonalds for me

Upvote 0
Disappointed with Android Manufacturers, we have many and not one of them could put something out in time to compete.

What do you personally think Android needs to do to compete? If I want a phone today, I can find a great Android device to suit my specific needs.

I adore Apple products, but that Galaxy is the clear winner in my book. It is all about the huge screen and its general specs are good enough for me. So I purchase one and the new Galaxy 4 or 6 is faster. I really do not care.

There is a phone with an even larger screen out there. I think it is too big, so for me, I can seect the perfect size screen and I no longer need to wait until something else arrives. Perfection has been achieved for me, at least.

I can get what I need, now, and it is not Apple because the iPhone's screen is too small for my day to day phone. Apple is not even a consideration but Android is and there are many phones to choose from. Android has not dropped the ball. Android does not need to release anything else as far as I am concerned.

Let's play the "Android Fanboys are right" game.

If the people commenting on Apple's marketing are accurate, and those who purchase iPhone 5 are legions of clueless brain dead users that purchase anything Apple, then Android is screwed.

If Apple is suing everyone in sight over the little things and they win more than they lose, Apple might win the game and Android devices might become rare, so Apple wins, again.

If the figures (released on the iPhone 5 release day) are accurate, Apple owned the laptop market for a three week period, so laptop makers were screwed, again.

If Apple takes over China, apparently, their fortunes will give Apple even more cash to rule the planet. China represents a larger market than the US market. If Apple ends up with a war chest triple the size of their current one, Android might just as well take their ball and leave the court.

Can you imagine what Apple can do to the market if they have 700 billion in cash available? The iPhone alone brought Apple more money than everything Microsoft makes brought MS, so the iPhone is something manufacturers are likely scared of.

There can be only one, according to The Highlander.

If Apple releases a smaller iPad, Android tablet makers migh be in trouble and Apple wins again. And remember, Apple has a way of relasing things we never thought about and they will be popular.

So, until Android makers become "cool," they simply cannot compete no matter what they release. If Android makers release something with killer specs the general public does not understand, it might not make any difference. This assumes that the Android Fanboys are correct about the typical foolish Apple customer.

So what do you think Android makers need to do to compete with Apple? I think the next quarter will give us some even more amazing Android phones and tablets and you can forget about Apple and their crappy phones. We still have Blackberry and Windows phones to choose from.

I think no matter what Apple does with the 5, there are plenty of useful and cool phone to choose from and Android might win the game. Whatever that means.

Until the iPhone 5s or 6 arrives, that is.

Upvote 0
Compairing iphones to andriods is silly if you want an adroid phone you have a multitude of manufacturers and carriers as well if you want an iphone its going to be apple and you are limited to the carriers that apple allows to have them.personally. I chose android because I could get the features I wanted with a carrier I wanted for under 150 bucks and truth be told the whole i-everything is a little too McDonalds for me

And you do not even need a contract if you do not want one. Get Apple or Android. Android can be "free" or more costly than an iPhone 5.

It is a good time to be hunting for the perfect phone because it likely here already. Until itis replaced with a faster model for less cost in about a week or perhaps on Monday morning.

Upvote 0
Why the hell are you even on these forums?

Well, speaking for me--the forum's official and proudly its only self-admitted Apple fanboy--I like to watch the Android side and see how the Great Google Phone Beta test is progressing. I also like jousting with Earlymon and I love poking the bears in the cage

This is the place where anything goes, so I guess I am allowed. I was hoping to find a speed dating thread but to no avail. I guess I will die alone sans an Android loving woman.

Why are you here, dawg?

Upvote 0
Well it looks like the benchmarks are out.

Pretty much beats every Android phone available right now which is a bit sad, with the exception of some multithreaded CPU benchmarks which are meaningless anyway.

If only it ran Android. :(

You are looking at a brand new phone running a brand new OS vs older phones running an older OS. FYI, the tests with an S3 running a JB ROM blew the doors off the iphone 5s Geekbench scores. Something like 2200 to 1620. Also, A Galaxy Note 2 running JB scored a 972 to the iPhone 5s 914 in SunSpider. Only a matter of time before the newer phones running JB smoke those numbers. As usual, the new iPhone will look ancient within 5-6 months.

Reactions: carracerz14
Upvote 0

Attachments

• iPhone5vsAndroid.png
    iPhone5vsAndroid.png
    271 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0
Whilst they look nice, benchmarks don't tell the whole story.

I work with a guy who picked up an iPhone yesterday, we ran some totally unscientific tests at work last night and whilst there's no denying it's nippy, it didn't appear to be much faster at doing things than my One X.

Webpages open at roughly the same speed, games took about the same length of time to load and and the UI was equally as snappy and as responsive on both.

TL;DR, I wouldn't put too much stock in benchmark scores.

Upvote 0
The browser benchmark is mostly useless.

Different browsers will score differently on the same phone

Part of the problem with benchmarks. People that do not need blazing performance think they do so they go with the faster device. If PC Magazine says brand X is faster and here are the numbers, many people believe them.

I pity the consumer using the web to find accurate and honest reviews. I suppose if PC Mag signed Apple to a years worth of multi-page ads and foldouts, the speed of their phones with the new A6 chip will be astounding.

If Android advertised in PCM, Wow . . . that new Droid is the most increadable machine ever devised by man and the only thing faster is the iPhone, when Apple renews their ad campaign.

There is an explanation for this: I am more jaded than an orietal temple.:)

Many people read about a faster browser and think their web access will be faster when it might not be faster, day to day. All that glorious speed the tests say we will enjoy might be slowed by any number of things, like our poor data connection.

I think many people go with a 4G phone because they think 4G is everywhere 100% of the time. they go with Applke because iOs is better and theygo Android because they read that Apple sucks.

Then there are the Axes. They must be sharply ground, so you must take the motives of the benchmark person/reviewer into consideraton as well. Here on the AF, Android is faster than iOS and on the Apple forums, Android is slower.

I say, visit the phone store and try a few phones for yourself. Actually compare them side by side and judge for yourself. You will come to learn just how much better an iPhone is than Android.:D

Upvote 0
So, until Android makers become "cool," they simply cannot compete no matter what they release.

The single iPhone domination model is rather funny. iPhone is a brand, they have 3 models in the line, as taught by Android - a line beats a single model.

Regardless of how much any single model sells, it's about the line. As you know, every manufacturer has a bottom line and return on investment.

If I made 3 widgets in one subsidiary, and 100 in another, and both produced the same profits at the same costs, I'd find no reason to claim one as a superior money maker to the other.

The discussion of Android vs iPhone is a brand discussion. It's not the same as comparing iPhone 5 sales to the LG Esteem or even the SGS3.

And if you say one widget in my 3 widget subsidiary outsold one widget in my 100 widget subsidiary, I would simply nod - because comparing Apples and Androids isn't always what it seems.

I've been consistent on this point for over two years, so it's not an apologist argument. It's simple economics. :)

And in those two years, Android's growth has been rather remarkable. ;)

Upvote 0
The gap between the iPhone 5 and Androids is surprising in a much smaller package.

iPhone 5 Benchmarked: The Fastest Smartphone in the Land | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Well there you go. Case closed, I suppose.

rotflmao

What case? A case of root beer?

Synthetic benchmarks are meaningless beyond characterizing what software library functions tested are faster than others on given phones.

And do we run software library functions or do we run apps in a preemptive multitasking operating system. Oh wait. Android is a preemptive multitasking OS.

iOS 10 is going to be really something. I can feel it in my bones.

Upvote 0
Regardless of how much any single model sells, it's about the line. As you know, every manufacturer has a bottom line and return on investment.

I agree Early. I can forgive those that have not learned to appreciate the bottom line and its impact on business, for it biings us what we want and demand and crave and often takes away those thngs we like and want and demandand crave.

As soon as a manufacturer sees no profit in making Android phones, they will go away. Corporate boards demand it as do stock holders. We have what we have becuse somene is making money.

What I wonder about are all of thise phones that will nver see the light of day because they cost too much to make. Some bean counter is deciding this as I type or they will on Monday.

Joe average might love a particular device and find it to be the perfect device and see no problems with it, but if it does not earn a profit, something changes and Joe is left wondering why Samesong discontinued it.

I have several business interests. Not making the gobs and wads and oodles of cash I crave, but I do pay attention to which project is making me money and I adjust to promote those things that have a greater ROI.

I write for corporations so I do better than general freelancing. I thought about writing for magazines, but the money is not there. Just like real manufacturers, i know where to spend my time andtime is cash.

I do think I can turn a loss leader into a profit center but in this climate, I spends me times on those putting the foods on me tables.

Before the web arrived, people were largely clueless about how business works. They read where a company is filing for bankrupsy protection and all they see the end of the company, not understanding that going bankrupt might actually save the company. Bad news might be great news.

Apple is here for a long time and Android is growing and everything is great. Better tech, released quicker and for less money. It is like your house getting bigger each year and the mortgage pyments start decreasing.

Upvote 0
LOL..."It's funny 'cause it's true!" --Homer Simpson

About the only thing missing was mentioning that Apple is totally dependent on Samsung, the company that they're constantly suing, for their "A6" chip. How funny would it be for Apple to be unable to make any new notmePhones because they sued their most important OEM out of business? :D

Reactions: BRAINZ2013
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones