• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone 5

If I had a penny for every time someone said I was wrong but failed to show me how I was allegedly wrong, I'd be a very wealthy man! :smokingsomb:

I've had my life enriched by people who really have been able to show me how I've been wrong. I'm grateful for it. But so far the big-spending Apple lifestyle hasn't been for me. It's not just Apple either. I was in no hurry to buy things like laptops, PDAs and other devices that would have enabled me to do the company's work on my personal time. :)

Upvote 0
Anyone can optimize for a few cherry picked benchmarks. It's not a scientific approach. It's like shooting arrows and then drawing bullseyes around them.

If you handed 5 phones to the average user, would he or she be able to pick out the best in terms of performance?

Are most recent model phones capable of delivering adequate performance and if you took the oldest phone and told your "reviewer" it was the hottest phone going, would he or she agree?

Or do we need labels and names to determine the best phone?

I'll be honest, if you made me take your test, there is a chance I would pick one of the slower models.

Reactions: 3vodroid
Upvote 0
rotflmao

What case? A case of root beer?

Synthetic benchmarks are meaningless beyond characterizing what software library functions tested are faster than others on given phones.

And do we run software library functions or do we run apps in a preemptive multitasking operating system. Oh wait. Android is a preemptive multitasking OS.

iOS 10 is going to be really something. I can feel it in my bones.

Actually, someone will probably require a s

Upvote 0
rotflmao

What case? A case of root beer?

Synthetic benchmarks are meaningless beyond characterizing what software library functions tested are faster than others on given phones.

And do we run software library functions or do we run apps in a preemptive multitasking operating system. Oh wait. Android is a preemptive multitasking OS.

iOS 10 is going to be really something. I can feel it in my bones.

I am finishing a partial case of Key Lime Soda, so soon, it too, will be closed.

I view cote kitten videos on You Tube as my test. If at least 73.7% of the kitteny cuteness is visible, the phone passes muster.

Upvote 0
Anyone can optimize for a few cherry picked benchmarks. It's not a scientific approach. It's like shooting arrows and then drawing bullseyes around them.

That's how I do my To-Do lists. I list what I did that day and check everything off before bed. Makes me feel like I actually accomplished something.

1. got up, check
2. ate an egg, check
3. took a nap, check
4. had coffee, check
5. wrote a first draft, check
6. shredded a crapy first draft, check
7. drank a beer, check
8. siesta time, check,
9. ate dinner, check
10. wrote a second draft first because the frst draft was crap, check
11. had a snack, check

I had a full and complete day.

Upvote 0
This is what the stupid iPhone 5 has done to AT&Ts LTE network! The first pic with the white SIII is from today in the Verizon store on LTE. The screenshot is from my SIII on AT&Ts LTE. Same server in LA even. This is even worse than 3G speeds, pathetic :mad:

Attachments

• Verizon.jpg
    Verizon.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
  • ATT.png
    ATT.png
    180.5 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 0
If you handed 5 phones to the average user, would he or she be able to pick out the best in terms of performance?

Are most recent model phones capable of delivering adequate performance and if you took the oldest phone and told your "reviewer" it was the hottest phone going, would he or she agree?

Or do we need labels and names to determine the best phone?

I'll be honest, if you made me take your test, there is a chance I would pick one of the slower models.

I can't determine who has the fastest car so I'll pick the train. I want a real qualitative difference such as multitasking, hardware physics or something else that can't be realized by simply pumping up the speed for all the old stuff.

Upvote 0
the new iPhone will look ancient within 5-6 months.

No it won't .

I don't really care about the CPU benchmarks as we are comparing dual core to quad core, the dual core cpu even matching the quad core cpu in a multithreaded CPU benchmark is very impressive.

Truth is that in most apps the number of cores won't make any difference so the dual core (a6) will give better performance as the individual cores are doing allot more work per cycle vs the Cortex A9.

Also the GPU performance I doubt will be beat, Adreno 320 just about matches the performance, Mali T-604 might be better onced released but we just don't know.

Upvote 0
It's very difficult to keep up the same level of quality control while at the same time massively increasing production numbers. Once it's been out for awhile we'll see what compromises have been made.

Very, very true.

Everything--from the lowest production worker to manufacuring lead to QC--must be able to increase their output while maintaining the established standards.

I went through these problems before and I know a little bit about what happens to quality when numbers take presidence. It is not always a pretty sight.

Upvote 0
Actually, Apple did more than that. Take a look deeper into specifically what was changed and the phone is much different than the 4 or 4s. I think Apple deserves more credit for the changes that are being overlooked by many casual observers.

I think the reason people are not iPressed is they were expecting sweeping changes. When those did not arrive (on the surface) they complain about the device.

I do wonder what the 5s/6 will bring. Surely, Apple is smart and they monitor the issues and complaints and perhaps we will see something quite unlike the 5. Or not. Perhaps the 6 will be larger or thinner still or a better screen or who really knows. I am sure a prototype exists somewhere.

It is much different from the 4 and the 4s, but it's really not much different from anything else on the market. It feels like catch up to me. Once upon a time, the iPhone came out and you waited for the Android phones to catch up to it spec wise and functionality wise. Now it feels like Android is ahead and Apple is catching up. Apple added features that people have been begging for for years. What is there next year? NFC and call it revolutionary? I can't think of anything else.

Upvote 0
It is much different from the 4 and the 4s, but it's really not much different from anything else on the market. It feels like catch up to me. Once upon a time, the iPhone came out and you waited for the Android phones to catch up to it spec wise and functionality wise. Now it feels like Android is ahead and Apple is catching up. Apple added features that people have been begging for for years. What is there next year? NFC and call it revolutionary? I can't think of anything else.

Apple is smart and they know what they are doing. Apple employes some bloody brilliant people and when it comes to technology, they are not exactly clueless.

They can read the forums and they can read the reports from fake journalist with fake inside info and crazy ideas about the new phone and they had plenty of time to add features if they wanted to add them. The fact that NFC is missing is likely not a stupid error on Apple's part and just because you want it perhaps means very little to most users who could care less.

I'll bet 1,000 plus people had a say so in the design and ultimately, a small group decided to release the device as you see it in the stores. There are good reasons why the iPhone 5 was released missing features some of you think are important.

Apple is not stupid.

Apple studies Windows and Android and they know what you can and cannot do with Android. I am not sure Apple wants to compete with Android on a feature by feature basis anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones