• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone 6 vs Galaxy S5 (and Android)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted a charging mat because 90% of my devices support it (and is the only point of NFC here)

FYI wireless charging has absolute no relation to Near Field Communications (NFC), apart from the fact they work without wires.

In fact wireless charging has much more in common with this...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooking] LOL

Warning: do not try using an induction stove as a "charging mat", it will destroy/cook the device.

90% of your devices may have NFC, but as I said, it is not the same as wireless/inductive charging.

Upvote 0
I just wish I could buy a mat. Having ten different USB bricks in my outlets to charge all my devices simultaneously is a fire hazard and adds to my electric bill. Thanks to the luddites here, that will never happen and I must live with ten bricks in all my available outlets until they invent a tablet with some mechanical or solar means of charging.

Either way I see NFC as I see the 'cloud'. Useless to about 75% of the planet.

Upvote 0
I just wish I could buy a mat. Having ten different USB bricks in my outlets to charge all my devices simultaneously is a fire hazard and adds to my electric bill. Thanks to the luddites here, that will never happen and I must live with ten bricks in all my available outlets until they invent a tablet with some mechanical or solar means of charging.

They have this amazing thing called Amazon just for situations like these.

Reactions: mikedt and MLSS
Upvote 0
They have this amazing thing called Amazon just for situations like these.

Yeah, like I'm going to trust it to arrive at my door. The mail service here is notoriously unreliable. Even with shipping insurance I lost two packages I bought online, and got no refund. I no longer buy anything online unless it is a digital download.

If I could afford to move to a more civilized location believe me, I would. Right now I lack the funds, as well as the means. Now, if I can save my money for the next 40 years, I might get out by the time I'm a senior.

Upvote 0
Thanks to the luddites here, that will never happen

You don't trust the mail service.

You hate software updates on your phone.

You complain when things move forward.

You're against NFC (which you also think is wireless charging...).

You're against the "cloud fad."

You hit the wrong button on your Nexus 10 in your video and proceed to say "this is because of the poor touch response."

Perhaps you shouldn't be referring to everyone else around here as ludites?

Reactions: MLSS and bjacks12
Upvote 0
Perhaps this thread should be renamed "Luddites and Rednecks and Android" :p

Thing is probably most of the people I know are very familiar something that has NFC in it, and they all carry one.
500px-Jumin_shenfenzheng.jpg

The compulsory ID card, and any NFC enabled device can read them, just like the ePassport I posted earlier.

Upvote 0
You don't trust the mail service.

You hate software updates on your phone.

You complain when things move forward.

You're against NFC (which you also think is wireless charging...).

You're against the "cloud fad."

You hit the wrong button on your Nexus 10 in your video and proceed to say "this is because of the poor touch response."

Perhaps you shouldn't be referring to everyone else around here as ludites?

oh_snap.gif

Upvote 0
Having ten different USB bricks in my outlets to charge all my devices simultaneously is a fire hazard and adds to my electric bill.

I am extremely happy with this Anker multi-port, very compact charger that only uses one A/C line into the wall. It automatically adjusts output depending on the phone it's charging. Brilliant.

Anker 40W 5-Port USB Charger
with PowerIQ

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I just wish I could buy a mat.

You can actually.
800px-Induction_Cooktop_Rolling_Boil.jpg

Place all wireless/induction charging enabled devices at even spacing.
Neat and tidy, yes.
Adds to your electric bill, yes.
Is a fire hazard, very probably.

Having ten different USB bricks in my outlets to charge all my devices simultaneously is a fire hazard and adds to my electric bill. Thanks to the luddites here, that will never happen and I must live with ten bricks in all my available outlets until they invent a tablet with some mechanical or solar means of charging.

Upvote 0

Every carrier and manufacturer on the planet hopes you're right, because at the current figures the remaining 25% of the planet amounts to 1.75 billion potential customers. That's one heck of a market, by anyone's standards.

I have no use for a John Deere combine, A centrifuge, knitting needles or hair curlers. It doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't valuable products to the people who do need them, or that the manufacturers shouldn't make them.

I don't think Mike has any use for hair curlers, either, so there goes the market? ;) :D

Place all wireless/induction charging enabled devices at even spacing.
Neat and tidy, yes.
Adds to your electric bill, yes.
Is a fire hazard, very probably.

I'm holding out for NFC popcorn ... Place your phone on a bag of popcorn, make a call and a minute or two later ....

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I have bounced back and forth, having had the original Droid, original Droid Incredible, iPhone 4S, Note2, and now Note3. I am also a Mac user. I'm mostly platform agnostic. I want the tool that best meets my needs. I have gone back and forth and even made a spreadsheet listing the pros and cons of the going with a Note4 vs the iPhone+. The iPhone has caught up with a lot of the missing features that Android has offered, though it is still lacking in some ways, though going with the iPhone offers incredible synergy for Mac OS users.

There are huge features I will lose out on either way if I go iOS or stay Android. I wish it was not so difficult to get one device that meets my needs. I narrowed it down to two main features that I NEED, not just want, there is a long list of wants that I am not including: 1. tethering and 2. a good camera

the Note3 camera has been awful for me, without good lighting outdoors my pictures are worthless. i need a good camera and can not carry my dslr all the time. the iPhone will not allow me to use unlimited data for tethering unless i jailbreak it, which i'm not sure i'd want to do, even when it becomes available.

if the note4 camera is good in low light, I will be happy and stay android. if it is as bad as i read some complain the s5 is with low light....i will likely get iPhone6+

the decision for me -- what is more important, having access to internet on my notebook wherever I am (hugely important) or having a once in a lifetime opportunity to take a photo of a newborn and finding that the photo looks like it some historical footage from the moon landing in the 60's? this is why I might end up going with the better camera over tethering and go iOS...

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
According to my twitter feed, Apple released iOS 8.0.1 and it's breaking a lot of phones. Le sad. :rolleyes:

My brother who's not an enthusiast has been convinced by his fellow dentists in their practice that iPhones are the only phone to own.

I tried to reach him yesterday on four tries with no luck. Giving up I called his office and the receptionist told me the four of them all have bricked iPhone 6 models.

Then this morning I read the update knocks out the cellular radio rendering the phone useless. How Apple misses these things is mind boggling.

He and the other three dentists each paid over $1,000 for their iP6's only to have all the problems that have been reported in just the first week of ownership!

Hello Apple? Anybody home?

http://www.zdnet.com/apple-issues-i...0034016/?s_cid=e589&ttag=e589&ftag=TREc64629f

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones