1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

iPhone apps on Droid?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by JesseBrown23, Apr 13, 2012.

1. JesseBrown23

JesseBrown23 Member

Is there like an emulator for this??:thinking:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. woodsb123

woodsb123 Well-Known Member

Not so sound harsh here, but, if I'm understanding you correctly, you are asking if there is an emulator which would allow you to run iphone apps on an android phone. First off, why would you want to do that??? Also, if you want to run iphone apps, why not just get an iphone. Lastly, there is the exact or similar apps on android that there are for iphone, so if you take a look at Google Play(formerly the Android Market) at https://play.google.com/store/apps, you will see all of the apps for android that are available.

3. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert

Not meaning to be rude, but that's not 100% accurate. I know of two I used all the time on my Touch that have no Android equivalent yet.

4. JesseBrown23

JesseBrown23 Member

1. So I can use the apps, of course.
    2. Because not everyone can afford a new phone. I'm currently using a Eris because i got it for cheap.
    3. And I know how to use Google Play and I looked. And The Android versions aren't always the same.

Just sayyin'

Thanks^

I was looking for a yes or no answer lol. Not why it sounds dumb that im asking.

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Even if possible or such an emulator exists, it won't run on an Eris. Even the ancient iPhone 3GS has better hardware than the Eris (3GS has a 600Mhz CPU + PowerVR 535 GPU. An Eris has 528Mhz CPU and no GPU). If you go dirt cheap, your phone will also have dirt cheap hardware.

Also, since you have an Eris, you won't be seeing a lot of Android apps that are equivalent to iPhone apps because of the hardware limitations of your device a lot of the apps will be "unsearchable" for you, unless you search for the apps on your PC.,

Crashdamage likes this.
  6. JesseBrown23

JesseBrown23 Member

Great.. Well thank you very much!

My dad really had no choice but to go dirt cheap because we are moving in to a house. So yeah, unless I get a free phone im stuck with this poopyness :(

7. daveshain

daveshain Lurker

Jesse is on the mark about your hardware. As to why... WoodsB hasn't a clue...

MANY app developers refuse to write code for android because apple make it so easy and much less time consuming for them. Again, MANY developers will not even take their existing apple apps and recode them for android. Not all apps have comparable counterparts on the android marketplaces.

I am waiting to see about the iPhone 5 to see if it is worth it to make the switch to the Galaxy S 3. I have a number of apps that the developers have replied to me that they will not recode. I hope all developers will change their minds as market share for android increases. It's all about the money as usual.

8. daveshain

daveshain Lurker

Oh.. And emulators do exist...

9. gale65

gale65 Android Enthusiast

I have an ipod touch and an android phone. I have a few apps that are made for both but work better on the ipod touch.

10. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled

Unfortunately at this time it's not possible to run iOS apps on Android. There's a long list as to reasons why including different CPUs with different instruction sets, different hardware and the lack of computing power on current phones.

Emulators add a layer between the app and the hardware which tricks the app into thinking it's talking to the real hardware and then tells the hardware what to do in it's own language. The emulators you see out now for Android running ROMs which need quite a bit less computing power than the phone has so that layer will be able to keep up. Since iOS devices have similar computing power to current Android devices, adding that layer (if it were possible) would slow most apps down to the point where they'd be so laggy they'd be unusable.

Any apps you see out for both iOS and Android were written separately for both and are not the same code. The developer basically wrote it twice for each operating system. It's not like they just allowed the app to be released for both and it worked.

Sorry. Cool idea but not feasible today.

KonaScooter and sanibel like this.
  11. sanibel

sanibel Android Enthusiast

One day, perhaps, (smart) phones will reach the desktop conundrum (PC vs. Mac ~ most tedious work can now be done on both seamlessly) and life will simplify itself tenfolds. Having said that, I think Jesse's question is clear and honest and there's no rhyme or reason to lecture him.

12. KonaScooter

KonaScooter Lurker

Funny how the original poster was beaten down for suggesting such blasphemy as running iPhone apps on an android.

Let me state the reason I ask the same question as I was searching for such an answer and it lead me here. I have over $300 invested in Apps I use all the time for work, Apps that many do not exist in the android world and even if they did, why would I want to buy them again? I am looking for a way to not reinvest, often times to the same vendor, to move to another platform.

So it is a very valid question he asks that should not have cause him grief.

13. T.M.M.L

T.M.M.L Android Enthusiast

Greetings Konascooter,

Welcome to the forums.

I agree, berating the OP served no purpose. A simple answer would have sufficed, and the power requirements explanation was a nice touch.

So long story short. No.

As stated above, you need several times the power of the device you wish to emulate, on the device you using to run the emulator.

I understand not wishing to re-invest loads of money for apps that you own on another device, but you have to expect some of that when you change operating systems.

14. Or vice versa!

However, both have hundreds of thousands of apps in respectively the App Store and the Play Store. So odds are that the app you're looking for is among them.

And just to set the record straight: Apple's smartphone market share (with their iPhones) is considerably smaller than Android's market share. And Android is fast increasing that lead!

15. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

To be fair, on a PC, the CPU needs to be 10x the power of the device to be emulated so it can emulate smoothly (regarding PSOne and PSTwo emulator), this is because all the processing of the PlayStation CPU and GPU are done on the CPU level. Then you have to take into account the OS and several services running in the background.

16. ari-free

ari-free Android Expert

They use similar ARM cpu's so emulation could theoretically work like WINE on linux. It's not like emulating a game console.

17. golez

golez Lurker

I found a link but I have to get past I the no spam thing so next post
    :D