• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone fever!!!

iPhone users will never be "shut up" IMO.

The iPhone is a great product. Honestly. I had one for over 2 years and loved it. Now I love my android because of how much I can customize.

But we (by we I mean us on this forum) are not the "normal" phone users. We want more out of our phones and want to learn as much about it as possible.

Does the iPhone have flaws? Absolutely. But most phones do. It's all about what is best for each individual and a lot of people enjoy the iPhone. I personally do not regret giving mine up but at the time I was in love with it as well.

Tons of great phones to choose from....only time will tell what will come out next to make us DX envy the next upgrade in technology

Reactions: pool_shark
Upvote 0
iPhone users will never be "shut up" IMO.

The iPhone is a great product. Honestly. I had one for over 2 years and loved it. Now I love my android because of how much I can customize.

But we (by we I mean us on this forum) are not the "normal" phone users. We want more out of our phones and want to learn as much about it as possible.

My mother in law needs help on the computer with cut and paste. I know, because she calls me about it.

I convinced her to get a droid phone (because my wife got a droid phone). She has loved it. Not a single complaint from the entire process. This from someone who needs help with everything computer related.

Upvote 0
Honestly all the customization that android offers has started to drive me crazy...Do you have any idea how many times my phone changes every week? It's only made my OCD worse...

I am exactly the opposite. If my phone DIDN'T change all the time I'd go absolutely insane. It's like being forced to eat the same food every day or watch the same TV show at the same time each night.

Upvote 0
The short of it is iPeople tend to be socialites that need to be a part of something. They have a hard time figuring things out on their own. They need others to complete them.

The rest of us can stand on our own. But that leaves us vulnerable to those that group together and use the power of a group to get ahead.

That's enough of a social lesson for today.

Upvote 0
So why is the Android phone better than the iPhone?

Bob Maxey

This is all unrooted/unjailbroken.

1) I don't need a computer to install an application.

2) I don't need to deal with iTunes.

3) Widgets

4) Customization.

I could go on... but there are just so many ways that Android is better than iOS that's it's not really funny.

Reactions: OCDetails
Upvote 0

3) Widgets

4) Customization.

I could go on... but there are just so many ways that Android is better than iOS that's it's not really funny.

I believe it's a matter of choice. They may not have all the amenities or features offered by Android, but what Apple does do, they do it well. Saying that Android is better and it's not really funny is a gross misrepresentation.

Upvote 0
I believe it's a matter of choice. They may not have all the amenities or features offered by Android, but what Apple does do, they do it well. Saying that Android is better and it's not really funny is a gross misrepresentation.

When every feature added to the iPhone is one already found on Android... I can't see how you can compare the two.

Upvote 0

3) Widgets
4) Customization.

Well, you install apps through the Apple App Store, no PC is required. Just like Android. Not sure what you mean by not needing a computer. I do not need a computer either; every app I could want; or theme, or icon, or font, is at hand and no PC needed. Just visit Cydia and start browsing the various repositories. And I can still visit the App Store.

The iPhone does what it was designed to do. Not sure what the issue is because unless you tend to be a tad geeky, you really do not need to do much customization past the surface, like wallpapers and ring tones. Most people don't think about it or really care that much, I suspect. I am really not an Apple guy, but I select what I need to have regardless on who makes it.

The four things on your list have little to do with the OS or hardware, do they? Seems to me, Apple could provide a file system browser, a way to add themes, change icons, icon colors, and allow you to add apps from places outside of the app store. I should think that both operating systems are fundamentally strong and good and well made.

But it also seems to me that Android makers could provide added functionality by simply shipping "pre-rooted" devices.

The App store provides tens of thousands of applications that seem to serve the typical user quite well. It is only after you JB the thing you learn just how much more you can do with the device, be it an iPhone or iPad, or or iPod.

Or Rooting, in the case of Android people.

I found that the act of jail-breaking my iPad was a no-brainer. It tool 30 seconds to DL the software, a second or two to plug my iPad in, and a few minutes to JB the darn thing. Simple, permanent, and quite easy.

Now, my iPad (or iPhone if I had one) is as customizable and versatile and open as any rooted Android device. AND... it is as customizable as any UNrooted Android device, too. Android has great themes available and now, so do I.

But if you want to make serious changes to your phone, you must also "root" it or your precious Android phone is limited; perhaps just as limited as an iPhone in some respects.

About all that is left to argue with is which SMS or email app is better or who provides better coverage or cell service, because the customization possibilities of my iPad/iPhone are absolutely equal to yours, and quite likely, the hardware is as good as most Android devices as well.

By the way, I DO NOT LIKE IPHONES. I cannot see myself owning one because the Android I have is all I require in a telephone. I own an iPad and an iPod. I do not like contracts so I went Cricket and I am pleased. I do not care if they ever update the firmware or not.

I do not use iTunes much but there are iTunes replacements or alternatives. I use iTunes to backup my data and deal with a growing music file. So perhaps you can tell me, do most cell phone companies provide backup software with their phones? Cricket did. I see no difference between using that software and using iTunes. At least for backup. So perhaps you do need a PC.

ITunes is not a big deal, is it? It works well, and it does what it is required to do. If it works as designed, I see no need to fret about it.

Yes, granted, you can use widgets on an unrooted/jailbroken device. Apple has publicly come out against anything that changes the GUI/User Experience, so something called a "Widget" is likely off the market. Rather odd proclamation on the part of Apple, I think. I forgot which app was recently removed from the App Store but it was a widget application that allowed you to put clocks and calenders on the "desktop."

I have several widgets with animated backgrounds on my iPad lock screen: SMS, Clock, Calender. No problem adding them, either. If un- broken, forget about it.

So yes, you got me there. About all iPhone users can do is change wallpaper and ring-tones. Not really much past that. And from what I gather, Apple will not allow much past that basic change; they said so publicly, as I recall. For some/many/most, that is just fine and they somehow make it work.

Android is open and therefore, it is easier to create and sell programs through the market. Software that is not hampered by the rather odd and curious restrictions imposed by Apple. But Apple was never designed to be open and a free for all. Some complain (I think perhaps justified) about Apple's policies.

This means programs that change the GUI are abundant in the Android Market, (and quite popular. I like ADW, myself) but impossible to find on the Apple App Store.

But Android was designed to be open and the iPhone was designed to be "controlled" by Apple. So perhaps you can fault Apple for their policies not their hardware which is quite nice and it does the job at hand.

Bottom line: for most users, it really does not matter one darn bit if they go with an Android phone or an iPhone or a Boysenberry Phone. It is only a small percentage of users that care one way or another about which is a better platform, and a smaller percentage still, that will hate Apple no matter what they create and/or love Apple no matter how restrictive they become.

Ditto Android, by the way.

Bob Maxey

Upvote 0
Well, you install apps through the Apple App Store, no PC is required. Just like Android. Not sure what you mean by not needing a computer. I do not need a computer either; every app I could want; or theme, or icon, or font, is at hand and no PC needed. Just visit Cydia and start browsing the various repositories. And I can still visit the App Store.

As I said... this was a comparison of Non-rooted/Non Jailbroken phones, which means the iPhone still uses iTunes, which requires computer access to install apps.

The iPhone does what it was designed to do. Not sure what the issue is because unless you tend to be a tad geeky, you really do not need to do much customization past the surface, like wallpapers and ring tones. Most people don't think about it or really care that much, I suspect. I am really not an Apple guy, but I select what I need to have regardless on who makes it.

This may have been the case at one time, but it isn't really the case anymore. Plenty of non-tech savvy people are looking to make these types of changes on their phone now, my non-tech savvy MIL is just ONE example.

The four things on your list have little to do with the OS or hardware, do they? Seems to me, Apple could provide a file system browser, a way to add themes, change icons, icon colors, and allow you to add apps from places outside of the app store. I should think that both operating systems are fundamentally strong and good and well made.

Apple could do a lot of things that would make iOS as good as Android. It's potential doesn't equate to what it is.

I feel that you are arguing root/jailbroken, and while most users are much more comfortable customizing their experience, most are not comfortable taking that step.

Which, was why when I compared them, I specifically stated non-rooted, non-jailbroken.

ITunes is not a big deal, is it? It works well, and it does what it is required to do. If it works as designed, I see no need to fret about it.

iTunes is a SERIOUS memory hog, and is prone to crashes. It doesn't even exist on some OS's. So... iTunes is a drawback.

I didn't reply to the rest since it was a comparison between Root vs Jailbreaking.

At that point, you are beyond what you purchased. I think you are still better off with some Android models, but Jailbreaking/Root changes the equation.

Upvote 0
When every feature added to the iPhone is one already found on Android... I can't see how you can compare the two.

Like what for example? Androids and iPhones both allow...

1- Access to the Web
2- You can send Email
3- Use SMS? No problems there
4- Make telephone calls; perhaps, sometimes
5- Both allow games and utilities and other programs to be installed
6- And both provide easy access to applications through two equivalent (for the most part) Markets

If Jailbroken/Rooted . . .

Same list of above features including custom themes, unapproved applications can be installed, complete access to the file system, and the ability to make changes if desired is easier.

Are there hardware issues that differentiate Apple and Android, perhaps? that is, besides iPhones amazing display? My Zio is different than your phone, but the buttons, rear camera lens, screen, etc., are about the same. Same general components in both the iPhone and my/your phone and the same general construction. So what features do we have that they do not?

Oh, and there is a bill to be pad at month's end.

I just realized that since the iPhone came before the Android Phone (Didn't they?) perhaps it is we that copied them?

Or . . .

We (Palm Computing Corporation) had the web in our hand before you phone folks did. We could access email, too. So perhaps some of what we did first was appropriated by Apple and Android?

Bob Maxey

Upvote 0

But it also seems to me that Android makers could provide added functionality by simply shipping "pre-rooted" devices.

The App store provides tens of thousands of applications that seem to serve the typical user quite well. It is only after you JB the thing you learn just how much more you can do with the device, be it an iPhone or iPad, or or iPod.

Or Rooting, in the case of Android people.

I found that the act of jail-breaking my iPad was a no-brainer. It tool 30 seconds to DL the software, a second or two to plug my iPad in, and a few minutes to JB the darn thing. Simple, permanent, and quite easy.

Now, my iPad (or iPhone if I had one) is as customizable and versatile and open as any rooted Android device. AND... it is as customizable as any UNrooted Android device, too. Android has great themes available and now, so do I.

But if you want to make serious changes to your phone, you must also "root" it or your precious Android phone is limited; perhaps just as limited as an iPhone in some respects.

About all that is left to argue with is which SMS or email app is better or who provides better coverage or cell service, because the customization possibilities of my iPad/iPhone are absolutely equal to yours, and quite likely, the hardware is as good as most Android devices as well.

By the way, I DO NOT LIKE IPHONES. I cannot see myself owning one because the Android I have is all I require in a telephone. I own an iPad and an iPod. I do not like contracts so I went Cricket and I am pleased. I do not care if they ever update the firmware or not.

I do not use iTunes much but there are iTunes replacements or alternatives. I use iTunes to backup my data and deal with a growing music file. So perhaps you can tell me, do most cell phone companies provide backup software with their phones? Cricket did. I see no difference between using that software and using iTunes. At least for backup. So perhaps you do need a PC.

Yes, granted, you can use widgets on an unrooted/jailbroken device. Apple has publicly come out against anything that changes the GUI/User Experience, so something called a "Widget" is likely off the market. Rather odd proclamation on the part of Apple, I think. I forgot which app was recently removed from the App Store but it was a widget application that allowed you to put clocks and calenders on the "desktop."

I have several widgets with animated backgrounds on my iPad lock screen: SMS, Clock, Calender. No problem adding them, either. If un- broken, forget about it.

So yes, you got me there. About all iPhone users can do is change wallpaper and ring-tones. Not really much past that. And from what I gather, Apple will not allow much past that basic change; they said so publicly, as I recall. For some/many/most, that is just fine and they somehow make it work.

Android is open and therefore, it is easier to create and sell programs through the market. Software that is not hampered by the rather odd and curious restrictions imposed by Apple. But Apple was never designed to be open and a free for all. Some complain (I think perhaps justified) about Apple's policies.

This means programs that change the GUI are abundant in the Android Market, (and quite popular. I like ADW, myself) but impossible to find on the Apple App Store.

But Android was designed to be open and the iPhone was designed to be "controlled" by Apple. So perhaps you can fault Apple for their policies not their hardware which is quite nice and it does the job at hand.

Bottom line: for most users, it really does not matter one darn bit if they go with an Android phone or an iPhone or a Boysenberry Phone. It is only a small percentage of users that care one way or another about which is a better platform, and a smaller percentage still, that will hate Apple no matter what they create and/or love Apple no matter how restrictive they become.

Ditto Android, by the way.

Bob Maxey

Damn.... and I thought my posts were long.

Upvote 0
Is Android better than Apple. The following is 100% correct:

A. For me... yes (for those of you who disagree... deal with it).
B. For you.... maybe (only you can answer that).
C. For an iPhone fanatic... no (for those who disagree... deal with it).

Alas, the age old question is answered. Now we can put all this arguing aside and try to tackle the next most disputed topic of our time... does Brad really love Angelina, or Jennifer?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones