• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iphone or android?

If the iPhone does come to Verizon, will you keep your android or go with the iPhone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Android all the way! I'm sticking with android, no matter what. If its with my Eris or not. The iPhone isn't worth it to me. It's not customizable like any android is. And when I get a phone that's what I want.

Another reason I won't get any type of iPhone is because, of the market. The Apple market might have over 100k apps, but only 20 some percent of them are free. Compared to Android market which has about 50k apps & around 67 some percent of them are free. And I definetly love free stuff, even though I got the gaup to spend on apps. If ill be getting a new phone from "BIG RED" ill be getting the Nexus One, which I plan on. Not the iPhone!

My whole life I've had blackberries. But once I got my hand on my friends G1, I loved it. I knew it was definetly my type of phone and had to have one. So I said the next phone I would be getting is definetly Android based. And it is, i love my Eris! I won't be switching anytime soon. Even if its to another phone, I'm sticking with android. And definetly not a iPhone, there wack to me.

Upvote 0
There's no doubt I'd seriously consider the iPhone if it comes to Verizon. I really find it comical how some people are so quick to say it "sucks". Really? Sucks? Maybe you don't like Apple's practices and closed OS's, but I find it hard to say it sucks. The funniest thing to me is that people are bashing the OS4 already. How is that possible? Anyway, while I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for Verizon to release the Incredible or N1, there's a few things that could make me keep this dang BB longer. The iPhone is almost a standardized piece of technology at this point, so there's a ton of docks and attachments that I find very interesting, especially the one that replaces the ashtray in my car with a perfect docking station. I need some time with an Android phone to make a decision, but my wife has had the 3G for a year now and I think it's pretty cool for the most part. So I'd keep an eye on it and then consider my options once the new OS it out and see how it really stacks up.

You have a point. The rumored iPhone to Verizon is rumored to be 4g, and rumored to be dual boot to android, and rumo....etc etc. Yet none of it is confirmed. If it is 4g, then it will be a whole different ball game than anything Apple has out at the moment. If it will dual boot (a rumor I believe is a hoax) to Android it will be a killer phone. It may indeed be a great phone. My only contention is that the hype of the iPhone doesn't meet up withh the reality of the iPhone.

Upvote 0
You have a point. The rumored iPhone to Verizon is rumored to be 4g, and rumored to be dual boot to android, and rumo....etc etc. Yet none of it is confirmed. If it is 4g, then it will be a whole different ball game than anything Apple has out at the moment. If it will dual boot (a rumor I believe is a hoax) to Android it will be a killer phone. It may indeed be a great phone. My only contention is that the hype of the iPhone doesn't meet up withh the reality of the iPhone.

the dual boot to android was part of an april fools joke. But it will multitask other apps , not just the native ones and will have broad customization abilities too. Not like Android mind you, but wallpapers, themes and live walls too, as well as better faster chips.

Upvote 0
And that's why the ignorance of some users is astounding. People get their information from VZW reps, friends. One person says they hate it and all of a sudden it becomes cool to hate on it and people follow like sheep.

There's a reason the iPhone took off. If it sucked, it would have gone the way of the Pre and Pixi.

This isn't even fanboyism. It's just straight up stupidity.

Upvote 0
the dual boot to android was part of an april fools joke. But it will multitask other apps , not just the native ones and will have broad customization abilities too. Not like Android mind you, but wallpapers, themes and live walls too, as well as better faster chips.

I suspected the dual boot was a hoax, like I said. It would have been cool though.

Upvote 0
And that's why the ignorance of some users is astounding. People get their information from VZW reps, friends. One person says they hate it and all of a sudden it becomes cool to hate on it and people follow like sheep.

There's a reason the iPhone took off. If it sucked, it would have gone the way of the Pre and Pixi.

This isn't even fanboyism. It's just straight up stupidity.

Well that's not entirely true Smacky. We both know that if the media loves something then even a bad idea becomes a good one. The iPhone was not the first smartphone, contrary to the media hype today. In fact, the Windows phones were far more powerful and useful than the first two generations of iPhone, perhaps even third generation. HTC made the first smartphone, which is kind of ironic since some of the things Apple is suing them for were found in earlier HTC phones but apparently Apple believes the hype too. But they weren't as slick. Apple closes off customization because it's easier to keep things running smoothly when you can control what the end user does to the phone.

Android is in its infancy, and it has the possibility to outshine all other mobile platforms. Apple has the ability to improve greatly too. I'd like to see what's coming down the pike. It's going to be an intersting few years in innovation I think.

Upvote 0
jailbreak the iphone, and you can customize FAR easier than any customizing on android. the fact that it takes 2 minutes to change one homescreen icon on android is just stupid. and i've never seen the iphone have the problems or lag i've had on my eris. love android, can't wait for verizon iphone.

And for those of you saying android is in its infancy...sure it is. but the iphone was literally GREAT from the start, android isn't catching up right now.

Upvote 0
In addition to that, Google is solid and viable; it would not be a desperation move, just a smart acquisition by them.

I have a bit of fun attempting to speculate on what they would do with the Pre and the Pixi, besides emboss their logo on the back.

Like I said before, Palm, imho has the best OS around and it's ashame it's on subpar software.

And Palm and Google remind me of each other when i think of the eris and pre.

Both Great OS Systems on Subpar phones

I think if the Eris had webos or even the droid mixed in with Android's capabilities it certainly would kill off the iphone...

Hmm...Microsoft and Webos?
Hmmm....Yeah, I just don't think it mesh's well

Upvote 0
Well that's not entirely true Smacky. We both know that if the media loves something then even a bad idea becomes a good one. The iPhone was not the first smartphone, contrary to the media hype today. In fact, the Windows phones were far more powerful and useful than the first two generations of iPhone, perhaps even third generation. HTC made the first smartphone, which is kind of ironic since some of the things Apple is suing them for were found in earlier HTC phones but apparently Apple believes the hype too. But they weren't as slick. Apple closes off customization because it's easier to keep things running smoothly when you can control what the end user does to the phone.

Android is in its infancy, and it has the possibility to outshine all other mobile platforms. Apple has the ability to improve greatly too. I'd like to see what's coming down the pike. It's going to be an intersting few years in innovation I think.

You need to look at it from the generation of people between the ages of 25 and 17 or so. The middle of the spectrum were in high school when Blackberries were huge and it was cool to have a smartphone. Not everyone had one. Only about 10 or 15 out of a graduating class of 460 or so (my personal experience). It wasn't until the iPhone came out that kids jumped on the smartphone bandwagon. Then it became between Blackberries and iPhones. Those who were sucked into the shiny cases of Apple hardware went to the iPhone using the logic that they owned and loved their iPods so the iPhone was no different.

Those that went the way of the Blackberry had a different approach and loved the keyboard on the phone (most dumbphones did not have them, or some did as compared to Blackberries where all of them had keyboards) and were excited for web browsing and texting with the phone.

So yes. the media and peer pressure can definitely shape the consumer's choice, and it works both ways. Those that bought the iPhone or BB because their friends had it have people ridiculing them saying Android is better because they too are following the advice of others. They just regurgitate what they here on forums and spit it out as if they truly believe it. Most people haven't even handled a BB or an iPhone. How can they make an informed decision? That's my issue.

So, yes, if we are to argue semantics the iPhone was NOT the first smartphone. It was, however, an integral part of making smartphones as popular as they are today. You couldn't possibly think WinMo did all of this. I have nothing to support this but I'm sure more smartphones are used for leisurely stuff rather than business stuff, which is initially what they were meant to be used as. For checking email and being productive. That's where the age group of 18-25 or so that I mentioned comes in. Most Android users are young. Fact. I would assume the same for iPhone users and Blackberry users. A little green bastard as a logo should not mean that younger people gravitate towards it more than an apple with a chunk taken out of it. It's the younger generation that will determine what is useful. If multitasking is good for businessmen to check email and browse the web while listening to Pandora and talking to the kids at the same time, it will live on only if the younger generation needs it to IM, browse the web and text at the same time.

Now, the battle is not what is practical, but what do consumers want. And since it's all in the hands of us youngsters, it'll be what's convenient and fast, rather than something useful and refined.

To judge whether it is useful and refined is up to those that actually have handled the device. When you get on forums like this, as I mentioned earlier, people read others' opinions and pass it off as their own. And they sound like jackasses. The "oh, as long as you don't go to Apple, those losers and their crap phones" just exposes the sheep.

Upvote 0
jailbreak the iphone, and you can customize FAR easier than any customizing on android. the fact that it takes 2 minutes to change one homescreen icon on android is just stupid. and i've never seen the iphone have the problems or lag i've had on my eris. love android, can't wait for verizon iphone.

And for those of you saying android is in its infancy...sure it is. but the iphone was literally GREAT from the start, android isn't catching up right now.
Bwahaha. If it takes you 2 minutes to change an icon then no wonder you need an iPhone ;) might want to just consider a jitterbug

Upvote 0
One of my best Friends has an Iphone 3gs, I have always wanted an Iphone but wasn't willing to leave Verizon, i purchased my Droid about a week after it was released.
1st Impression........Wow, Verizon has never had a phone that even came close to this device and I really love how incredibly seamless, FAST and capable the Droid is
2nd Impression..... I was getting pretty friggen pissed when callers would complain of my voice sounding muffled or distorted. Changed the vocode settings and for the most part, it appears to have improved but still get complaints and that doesn't make me a happy camper, I mean WTF! A superphone that cant make a quality phone call?
3rd ...... I've tried every conceivable app on the market and even tried moving all my music to doubletwist and I really really hate the music player on this phone! would love an EQ or just some simple bass and treble controls and a genre setting, the interface is also a little boring but function is all I need, the whole purpose of these devices was always understood to me anyway was (an all in one device) and as of right now I hate having to set up playlist on my phone, my last phone (EnV touch) worked flawlessly with WMP, transfered album art, genre and playlist perfectly
LAST.... Now i've had this phone for a while and other than Apples wonderful media integration with Itunes, I friggen love Android OS!!!!! Love opensource!!!! Love all the free apps, Love the complexity and the customization and love that I can tether (Makes my boy very envious) but Iphone is no punk and the 4th generation is rumored to be multitasking and HD with an HDMI out and a forward facing camera. Internal memory is better NOW and will undoubtedly get better since they dont use SD cards. It wont support flash but already because of the Ipad, HTML5 is getting more and more popular and has always been easier on devices without being so demanding on cpu usage, hopefully the Droid won't have a hard time when and if it receives flash support......... I will not make an immediate switch to an Iphone if it comes to verizon because I love android OS But 2nd generation Droid better make some improvements on call quality and music intergration, otherwise I just might....anyway my 2 cents

Upvote 0
I switched to droid only because I wanted Verizon service and it was the best phone on Verizon. I previously had a 3GS and AT&T sucked. Both platforms are good, but a Verizon iPhone will sell like crazy. I'm pretty much neutral to both platforms. I like Apple, but I'm not a fanboy. I like Android and the upcoming phones, but I'm not anti-Apple or go around wearing tux-t-shirts. I just like new gadgets.

Android will, and always be mainly for the geek because you can tinker and it is open source

The iPhone is for the average consumer, it's because it is dumbed down.

If the iPhone is on Verizon, then it's superior because of the apps. I'm not feeling all last-scene-in-shawshank-redemption when I'm on the market. Not too many games. Can't reserve movies on redbox, can't access my bank account, lacking some work apps. Even theh little apps like the calculator are better than Android's calculator.

But let's say the Verizon iUnicorn appears in June or August... I'm not going to be the first one in line at the Apple Store. I bought my first 3gs on contract, got it stolen, bought the second one, quit at&t, and now am on the Droid. All in less than a year. I'll continue to use my Droid until it breaks or my 2yr contract is up. I think Android still has a way to go in terms of fit & finish, and overall UI smoothness. But 2.1, and future updates will address it. I'm happy with the Droid. Gtalk, Skype, the wallpapers, widgets, notifications are all great features. And if you play your cards right, the battery life is like a dumbphone, which is amazing. Apple will really have to go all out on the Verizon iUnicorn to make me seriously consider switching early. But given that these are all rumors, I'm just waiting for my official 2.1 update.

Upvote 0
Nope, no flash. It will not come as a part of a firmware upgrade, by the way. It will be a seperate add on that you will likely download from either Adobe's website or the Android Market.

Seems like Market would snag that. They seem to manage to snag everything else.

But a while back somebody told me that flash opens the door to more ads and other not-so-goodware coming to your phone. I have no links or other proof, just remember him mentioning that.

Upvote 0
Seems like Market would snag that. They seem to manage to snag everything else.

But a while back somebody told me that flash opens the door to more ads and other not-so-goodware coming to your phone. I have no links or other proof, just remember him mentioning that.

Being that some ad services are flash based, yes the potential is there. I'm really not sure on the "not-so-goodware," though. Only time will tell.

Upvote 0
First off people on this forum need to stop making comparisons to the eris because the iphone and the eris do not have comparable hardware so obviously the iphone is going to trump it. You need to compare to a competing phone like the droid. And many of the arguments people are making are taking into account hardware when this is an OS argument.

I owned ipod touch(it broke) and at first i really liked it. However the lack of customization really bothered me. I do like the flash memory but expandable memory is getting cheaper and cheaper all the time. THe following reasons are why i will probably get an android phone over a verizon iphone.

1. Customization-Android really beats iphone in this. Especially for those with Blur or Sense UI. The amount of customization in android is amazing and would really keep me happy.

2. Flash- Steve jobs seems to have a hatred of Adobe flash and love of HTML while i agree that flash can be buggy and html 5 is a better technology most of the internet still uses flash. Having flash on the new android devices is going to be amazing. Without flash i'd be without more than 70% of the internet,especially video. Even though hulu wont work but megavideo will and there is a lot of stuff on megavideo.

3. Apps: While Apple does have more apps many of them do the same things. How many e-mail apps do you think there are on apple? A lot. Also many apps on android are free and i'm open to donating to the developer after i tried an app. Also with this system i can pay what i feel is deserved. For better apps i would donate more money to the developer. While you can't save apps to the SD card i don't really mind because Android apps are smaller anyway. Also the closed nature of the App store really annoys me because it makes it hard for smaller developers and for more interesting stuff to come about. I realize there is some crap on android market but there are also some gems which aren't on Apple's app store.

4.Tethering: I don't know whether this is an AT&T thing or an apple thing but if i'm paying for an unlimited Data plan then i should be able to tether my phone.

5. Music: People really bash on the stock android music player but i find it to be functional. I will have to say that the ipod interface trumps the android one but for example the sense UI music player does come close and is definitely good enough.

6. Multitasking: I understand that the iphone is aimed at a market for people who really aren't power users of smart phones but multi tasking is a big one for me. I like to do a lot of things at once.

7.Upgrading: If i want to upgrade phones after having an iphone i will have to upgrade to the newest iphone so i can keep my apps and other things like accessories i might have paid for. That usually means i'll have one or two options. While with Android when i want to upgrade my phone i will have far more options of hardware and my apps will follow me so i won't have to purchase them again. My old iphone broke and i switched carriers. I lost close to $40 because i had bought apps that i cant use now.

8. Google Integration:Google's integration of their products is far better then apple. Nearly all of google's services work nearly flawlessly on android and far better then on any other OS. For example Google Navigation is almost a perfect replacement of a GPS machine. I'd never buy gps unit if i have android with google navigation.

9. iTunes: While i don't have anything against the software ever since i upgraded to windows 7 i don't use iTunes. So if i had an iphone then i'd have to dowload itunes and then switch all my music and that could take a while. I actually prefer to just drag and drop files onto an SD card like you can do with android. Also since you have to transfer everything through itunes you can't put custom things on your iphone. For example it would be harder to put on game roms for an emulator or your own ebooks onto an iphone.

10.Potential: While both OS' have potential, Android's openness and the fact that its on more phones and carriers will probably attract more developer support in the future. Plus the fact that for the most part developers are unrestricted in their pursuits it makes the potential for apps much greater then in the walled garden that is the apple apps store.

Hardware
I decided to add this since people are making hardware comparisons even though it isn't the question.

1.Battery: The iphone battery just doesn't last long enough for me. While i know this is also a problem on Android phones, Android phones for the most part come with removable batteries so a third party developer could release upgraded batteries in the future. Since the iphone battery is sealed i could never upgrade it and i'd be stuck with it.

2. Camera: While the iphone camera is good i think it could be better. Android phones aren't necessarily much better but since any manufacturer can make android phones and not just apple and since there is more of them then there is more choice and phones with better camera's will come out. However with iphone you are stuck at the mercy of apple and what kind of camera they want to put in.

3. No keyboard: While i like virtual keyboards some others do not and since apple only makes virtual keyboard iphones anyone who prefers a hard keyboard is out of luck.

4.Memory: There is no expandable memory which could be very frustrating. While i like the flash memory i wouldn't be satisfied unless i also had an expandable SD slot. That way i could expand the memory or even take a memory card from another phone or camera so that i could edit photos or look at media on my phone.

5. Bluetooth: I would just want better bluetooth support on the phone before i would consider it.

Reactions: Trident
Upvote 0
Here is where i stand:

first off, will i get the iphone on verizon? i can tell you right now no i will not. why? because i dont want to pay $6-800 for it because id have to get one outside my contract, so ill stick to the droid for now.

But somethings people do not realize, (i know this is an android forum, but bare with me)

- The Iphone that might come out of verizon is a NEW iphone with a NEW OS and NEW hardware. Right now everyone compares their android device they have now to the current iphone which is years older. My droid was "outdated" as soon as the nexus one came out a few months later (hardware and OS wise at least).

- Android is still being developed, i kinda wish though, that there werent so many android devices because you start to have compatibility issues with apps...updates come less frequent..etc. Iphone OS is so simple that it rarely needs updates, and once you buy an iphone, you will never need to worry about hardware and the other stuff i mentioned above.

- Software and accessories .. i know to some this might sound like BS, but i would love to have one of those really cool tower speakers i could just dock my droid on (with a remote) and play music. Thats one of the biggest things i envy from the iphone, their accessories. Software wise (for the computer) Google needs to come out with a computer based app/music manager. It would be cool if they made a deal with a music company such as amazon so we can download music (just like itunes) straight to the desktop to sync with the phone.

when all is said and done, I think Android will always be in competition with Iphone OS. None will ever be better than the other because each offer completely different experiences. Who knows where android will be in a couple of months from now. I wouldnt be surprised if the 2.1 sense UI EVO 4g will be outdated OS wise. So depended on where android is where their apps/phones/hardware etc when the Iphone for VZW comes out (if it comes out) then Ill be able to make my decision.

EDIT: i didnt even realize this is in the Eris forum....this should be a more general comparison...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones