• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone Owner considering a GS3 or HTC One X

How are the app store apps? With all the crazy resolutions and phone sizes im conserned that the apps are going to look blurry and/or be unresponsive. Any issues with either of these two things?

The bigger issue you will find is not all apps work on all phones, this is more for games then anything else. Examples are Tiger Woods golf and Madden NFL. These don't work with a Verizon S3, but they could work on a AT&T or T-Mobile.
Not a huge deal, but just something to be aware of.

Upvote 0
i think the problem is there are too many variations of the s3
the eu/international s3 has the best quadcore on the market (other than huawai but not sure on them)
some of the american/canadian versions are dualcore qualcom chipsets.
naturally a htc one x which is quad is going to be better in performance than a dual core of the same chipset variety
however i have the liberty to play with both and i decided with the s3 as i am in the uk and have the quad samsung chip which wipes the floor with the one x.
add that to the better screen and better graphics (yes tigra 3 exclusives are only coded that way. it can be unlocked via code as its not the hardware that stops it)
its a no brainer for me

Upvote 0
Thanka to everyone for the awesome and honest advice.

I picked up a Pebble Blue Galaxy S3 tonight. Ive about run the battery down but ive got quite a few apps downloaded, installed a new keyboard and just downloaded GO Launcher. We will see what the next few days hold. I'm excited to learn something different.

That is one of the best things about owning an Android phone, in my opinion. Even without rooting it, you can make it look like no other Android phone out there. Every iPhone I've ever seen looks the same except the wallpaper, but not with Android! Different launcher, different widget selection (and widget appearance, take a look at Beautiful Widgets for an example of this!), customize your lock screen, change your keyboard and icons, add or remove home screens... the possibilities are endless and limited only by your imagination, time, and skill. Take a look at the Android Themes forum (particularly the later pages of the desktop thread) for ideas.

As for rooting, one of the best things you can do is install a fully-functioning backup app, like Titanium Backup or MyBackup Pro. One thing Apple does have an advantage over Android is simple app/data back-up, but rooting+one of these apps will come a long way in closing that gap. Also, these apps allow you to revert to older versions of an app in case an update goes haywire or introduces an undesirable element.

Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: Frost Forged
Upvote 0
Word around the block is the new iPhone will put the S3 to shame. I'd wait for the iPhone 5 until making a decision. Heck I love my S3 but if the new iPhone is better then goodbye Samsung.

Pretty sure that was a quote from the Foxconn president. Whose company happens to make iphones, but not samsung phones. Not sure how much faith I put into his comment.

From the rumored designs I have seen and the beta of IOS 6 I am pretty underwhelmed so far. Unless they pull out something big it seems like Apple is gonna keep selling pretty much the same phone, not that there is anything wrong with that, I just want something more exciting.

Then again everyone could be wrong. We will just have to wait and see.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Word around the block is the new iPhone will put the S3 to shame. I'd wait for the iPhone 5 until making a decision. Heck I love my S3 but if the new iPhone is better then goodbye Samsung.

Unless they do a major over haul to the software I can't see how. Its not just the hardware for me and many others its the use. Android does what I want it do and then some.... One of the major reasons why I left the iOS family was because the OS got in its own way.

I guess I'm saying that the for me its about the software and android just fits better for me. Content is a none issue these days and I've never had a problem finding an app that did what I needed done.

BUT different strokes for different folks.

Upvote 0
Im a former ONE X user and now using S3. Here are my honest main points when comparing the 2.

1. The ONE X imo has the nicest screen/resolution i've seen. Indoors it is amazing and the color tone is a perfect balance (in between samsungs and iphone). But once you go outside, you can forget about it. Its absolutely the hardest to see when your outdoors. Many complain about the S3 screen outdoors, but the htc is that much worse.

2. The sound on the S3 is solid. Speaker phone, headphones, all around its pretty good. The HTC is absolutely too LOW. From using the mp3 player, to just using the speakerphone to make a call, it didnt cut it for me.

3. The HTC was too buggy. I think it was the sense UI. I got these weird codes on the top corner of my screen and had to reformat, there was issues with trying to update software and having to roll-forward my calendar to trick the system into thinking its been 24hrs so i could check for another update. I dont know... it was just a little weird.

4. And mainly, the UI responsiveness and smoothness of the S3 was noticeable to me pretty immediately.

Upvote 0

I've read from several sources it's going to be longer (but not wider wtf???), but there's that thing about rumors... IOS 6 however has been avail to many and and one dev even called it a bad version of IOS 5...

Upvote 0

Hey, why not? Get the phone that you like.

I'm coming off a stream of iOS devices so even if the iPhone 5 will be amazing, and I think it will be, I'm happy with something a bit different.

Upvote 0
i was a iphone owner since my days of jailbreaking ios 2.0, i jailbroke my ass off generation after generation until recently when i left behind my pretty tricked out iphone 4 ios5.1.1 for the s3, was a bit hesitant at first but man the ice cream sandwich firmware and google play market on top of the awesome device that the s3 turned out to be was just amazing and i couldnt be happier! DO IT!

Upvote 0
Not sure if you've made your decision by this time, but I switched back to Android from iPhone. I had the original Droid and was pleased with the customization aspect (using the apps I preferred to be default). There are changes in the way apps look and perform between Android and iPhone, but basically the "branded" apps perform well on both.

I switched and got the GS3 because of the screen size. I use the Kindle app almost daily and I was tired of trying to read on the iPhone screen. And seeing that it appears that iPhone 5 is only going to be taller, not wider, that sealed the deal to go with the GS3. Also, I love viewing videos on the GS3. I can see more!

Battery life is pretty short but at least I can replace the battery! And expandable memory is pretty awesome as well. One app I will sorely miss is "iMailG"; the best Gmail client! It's like having Gmail web without the browser. I hated the stock Gmail apps on both iPhone and Android. Someone needs to figure out how to replicate iMailG. Also, I like being able to back up my SMS messages straight to Gmail using SMS Backup+. It creates a label "SMS" right in the folders and I have a record of all my SMS and MMS messages in Gmail. Can't do that simply in the iPhone.

Overall, I like the GS3 and I think I will stay with it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones