• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone (Pix, Music, etc.) to S20 Ultra

Drew King

Lurker
Mar 10, 2020
Hi,

Having an issue to where my iPhone XS Max is not connecting to iTunes anymore for anything, including a backup.

That said, I am trying to find a way to export everything from my iPhone (Contacts, Text Messages, Documents, Videos, Pictures, Apple Notes [if even possible] and especially music to X Place to then put on the Galaxy S20 Ultra.

I think the inability to connect to iTunes is a USB port issue, but I don't even know if iTunes would sync with the S20.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I send the iPhone back to Samsung.

Thanks!

The simplest solution is probably to see what Samsung's Smart Switch software can do for you.

Otherwise...

iTunes wouldn't sync with an s20 - it won't sync with anything that isn't Apple. But it will copy stuff to your computer, and while Apple don't advertise where it stores the files a small amount of poking around with a file browser will locate the iTunes media. And once you've found them they can simply be copied to any android phone.

If you can't do it via USB, does it support wireless sync? Or how about downloading from iCloud to your computer? I don't use iCloud, but I'm sure it's possible.

That will deal with photos, videos, music, documents.

I expect it's possible to download contacts as a vcard file (perhaps more easily from an iCloud backup than from the iPhone itself). Once you have that you just copy it to the new phone, open its contacts app, go into the app's settings (which you access from the app itself, not the system settings - I've always thought that was one of the weirdest design decisions Apple ever made) and look for an "import" option. That will let you load them into the new phone.

Text messages, something like Smart Switch is probably your best bet. The problem there is that there is no standard for message backups, and neither platform wants to help the person who chooses to move to the other. But I'll be surprised if Smart Switch can't do this. If you use a cross-platform app like WhatsApp then backing up on one device and restoring to another should be simple, but for basic SMS you'll need something like this.

Apple Notes will also be stored in a proprietary format, so again the best hope is that Smart Switch or something like it can handle this.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Having an issue to where my iPhone XS Max is not connecting to iTunes anymore for anything, including a backup.

That said, I am trying to find a way to export everything from my iPhone (Contacts, Text Messages, Documents, Videos, Pictures, Apple Notes [if even possible] and especially music to X Place to then put on the Galaxy S20 Ultra.

I think the inability to connect to iTunes is a USB port issue,

Is that on the phone or the computer? Have you tried another cable? Have you tried syncing the iPhone to iTunes via WiFi or Airdrop?

Is your iTunes running on a Mac or a PC?

but I don't even know if iTunes would sync with the S20.

Thanks!

I'm sure iTunes will only sync with iOS devices.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The simplest solution is probably to see what Samsung's Smart Switch software can do for you.

Otherwise...

iTunes wouldn't sync with an s20 - it won't sync with anything that isn't Apple. But it will copy stuff to your computer, and while Apple don't advertise where it stores the files a small amount of poking around with a file browser will locate the iTunes media. And once you've found them they can simply be copied to any android phone.

If you can't do it via USB, does it support wireless sync? Or how about downloading from iCloud to your computer? I don't use iCloud, but I'm sure it's possible.

That will deal with photos, videos, music, documents.

I expect it's possible to download contacts as a vcard file (perhaps more easily from an iCloud backup than from the iPhone itself). Once you have that you just copy it to the new phone, open its contacts app, go into the app's settings (which you access from the app itself, not the system settings - I've always thought that was one of the weirdest design decisions Apple ever made) and look for an "import" option. That will let you load them into the new phone.

Text messages, something like Smart Switch is probably your best bet. The problem there is that there is no standard for message backups, and neither platform wants to help the person who chooses to move to the other. But I'll be surprised if Smart Switch can't do this. If you use a cross-platform app like WhatsApp then backing up on one device and restoring to another should be simple, but for basic SMS you'll need something like this.

Apple Notes will also be stored in a proprietary format, so again the best hope is that Smart Switch or something like it can handle this.

Hi,

I think the inability to connect to iTunes is a USB port issue, but I don't even know if iTunes would sync with the S20.

Thanks!

I had mixed results using Samsung Smart Switch, but it absolutely is the best place to start. It copied over everything but my apps, and while I was hoping it copied over my homescreen setup, it wasn't the end of the world.

Upvote 0
@Hadron #Rockstar

I think I got everything - many, many thanks (even my SwiftKey predictions)!

I know I'm missing (at least), of all random things, the first video from my XS Max (which has been transferred from phone to phone, but will figure that out).

I do have dance mixes from "back in the day" that now say they're not available in my region / country - perhaps find the originals on my laptop and PC and drag to the SD card?

The issue is that I'm just unable to get my iPhone to be seen with *my* iTunes / laptop, regardless of what USB port I use, but I think I've seen articles about the media folders hidden deep within the program, so fingers crossed. but can do a backup on my spouse's computer (which wouldn't restore on this phone anyway)…

I was an idiot, however, in that I didn't put the SD card in at first, ran out of memory, it forced it to shut down, so I turned off the phone, put the SD card in, ran the Switch again and although I probably should have done a FDR, therefore I'm sure I have dupes, but a 1TB SD card should suffice

Not sure what else may he missing, but I doubt much - some vids, both old and new have that triangle with an ❗ in the middle that, once I click on it, it plays, but the others don't default to that player. C'est La Vie.

I'm sure there are other quirks, but no longer a

Thanks again!! - dk

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Is it a new 1TB card? One thing that might be worth doing is checking that the data are intact (e.g. look at a range of the media files and check they are all there and working).

The reason I say this is that there are a lot of "fake" cards out there: lower-capacity cards that are programmed to present themselves as high-capacity cards to any device they are inserted into, then sold for much more than they cost (but usually still less than a real high-capacity card would cost, so that they appear to be a good deal). Ideally I'd test the card first, but a thorough test would wipe the data you've copied to it and you won't want to do it again unless you have to, so just checking for corrupted files is probably the simplest thing.

The problem with these cards is that once you exceed the real capacity of the card the phone doesn't realise (because it thinks the card is larger than it is) and will keep writing, leading to missing or corrupt files (including those already there, which can be overwritten). The risk of getting a fake varies depending on where you bought it from: a bricks & mortar store is low risk, eBar or Alibaba are very high risk indeed, Amazon themselves are fairly low risk but some marketplace sellers are scammers. I just thought of this because coming from an iPhone you may have less reason than most to be aware of this scam, and a 1TB card, being the highest capacity available, is a common target for these people, so I thought I should alert you to the possibility. Hopefully not - it doesn't sound like you've met such problems so far - but it might be worth doing a bit more checking now just to be sure.

Upvote 0
Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones