• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone to Android... What about my DRM music? Help converting it to MP3...

Roadblock

Jun 1, 2010
Earth
I moved over to an HTC EVO a while back but I completely forgot about all my music when I made the move.

I have 2300+ paid for songs sitting in iTunes I can't do a thing with.

I've been trying to figure out how to strip the DRM and turn them into MP3's for a while but all the programs I've tried just don't work. I just tried Tunebite and it gets conversion errors for EVERY freaking file.

I'm sick of paying for crap apps that don't work. Can someone suggest a free converter and DON'T say burn them onto a CD then rip them, that would take months.

I know there has to be a converter out there that can convert all my files in one shot that works, I just can't find it. Someone recommends one, it fails to work.

I've used iTunes to convert to mp3 before many times. I don't know if it works for their purchased songs but right click a song and see if "convert to mp3" is there.

Doesn't work for protected songs, the only way around that in iTunes is to burn them to a CD, THEN re-rip them. You can do it with a virtual CDROM too but the time involved when your dealing with 2300+ songs, I don't even want to try it lol.

Also, mikedt, I give those a look see too if I can find a free version, cough..

Upvote 0
In America we have freedom. We win!

Really? DMCA*, RIAA suing children, Department of Homeland Security shutting down and censoring bit torrent sites(ICE), DRM, etc, Maybe your definition of 'freedom' is different to mine. ;)

Perhaps this is a subject for the 'Politics and Current Affairs' forum?

*DMCA is the reason why I took my response the OP's question private. AF is based in the USA. DMCA makes it a crime for me to tell someone how to bypass DRM.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about China, but in the USA, you are breaking no laws for anything related to DRM or copyright if you are making copies of the songs you purchased for your own personal use. You may be violating the T & C for iTunes (I really don't know that one), but you are not breaking the law.

I can make 1,000,000 copies of a song I buy from iTunes if I choose to. I just can't give it away to 1,000,000 of my closest friends.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about China, but in the USA, you are breaking no laws for anything related to DRM or copyright if you are making copies of the songs you purchased for your own personal use. You may be violating the T & C for iTunes (I really don't know that one), but you are not breaking the law.

Oh but you are breaking the law in the US. You're actually committing a federal crime by breaking DRM, even if it is for personal use. Although AFAIK no one has yet been prosecuted for personal use. United States Code: Title 17,1201. Circumvention of copyright protection systems | LII / Legal Information Institute
"No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title."

The very same law, which prevents me from telling the OP how to remove DRM from iTunes songs on US based internet sites.

There maybe hope though...Ruling on DMCA could allow breaking DRM for fair use | Electronista

BTW here in China there are copyright laws apparently, but there is little or no enforcement at all. IP is treated very much as public domain. If it's academic use, I can do pretty much anything I like with IP. I recently heard about a factory in Beijing which was making fake Gucci handbags. The only way Gucci could get it shut down was breach of fire regulations, and not copyright or trademark infringement.

I can make 1,000,000 copies of a song I buy from iTunes if I choose to. I just can't give it away to 1,000,000 of my closest friends.

If the songs are not protected with DRM you can legally do that.

Upvote 0
Gotta love this country we live in! We have, as part of the Copyright act (I think) the "fair use" clause, which allows you to make a copy of a purchased work (music, video, etc.) for your personal use (rip a CD, copy a CD to tape if you still have a need or use for it). Then we have the DMCA which PREVENTS you from doing that! Lawmakers, RIAA and the MPAA need to get their heads out of their a$$es and give ONE guideline.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones