1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

iPhone to Android... What about my DRM music? Help converting it to MP3...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Roadblock, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Roadblock

Roadblock Well-Known Member

I moved over to an HTC EVO a while back but I completely forgot about all my music when I made the move.

I have 2300+ paid for songs sitting in iTunes I can't do a thing with.

I've been trying to figure out how to strip the DRM and turn them into MP3's for a while but all the programs I've tried just don't work. I just tried Tunebite and it gets conversion errors for EVERY freaking file.

I'm sick of paying for crap apps that don't work. Can someone suggest a free converter and DON'T say burn them onto a CD then rip them, that would take months.

I know there has to be a converter out there that can convert all my files in one shot that works, I just can't find it. Someone recommends one, it fails to work.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I do have suggestions, but posting them here would probably violate the AF rules(DMCA, etc.).

Check your PM.

3. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert

I've used iTunes to convert to mp3 before many times. I don't know if it works for their purchased songs but right click a song and see if "convert to mp3" is there.

4. Roadblock

Roadblock Well-Known Member

Doesn't work for protected songs, the only way around that in iTunes is to burn them to a CD, THEN re-rip them. You can do it with a virtual CDROM too but the time involved when your dealing with 2300+ songs, I don't even want to try it lol.

Also, mikedt, I give those a look see too if I can find a free version, cough..

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

In China we don't have to pirate music, Google.cn gives MP3s away free and legally. :)

6. JunBringer

In America we have freedom. We win!

7. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire

No need to be ignorant. I was going to help you but I kinda changed my mind since you were being a douche to Mike.

ElasticNinja and mikedt like this.
  8. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Really? DMCA*, RIAA suing children, Department of Homeland Security shutting down and censoring bit torrent sites(ICE), DRM, etc, Maybe your definition of 'freedom' is different to mine. ;)

Perhaps this is a subject for the 'Politics and Current Affairs' forum?

*DMCA is the reason why I took my response the OP's question private. AF is based in the USA. DMCA makes it a crime for me to tell someone how to bypass DRM.

9. JunBringer

I apologise to everyone I may have offended. I have an odd/harsh sense of humor. I seriously didn't mean it in any way other than to get a quick laugh. I'm sorry!

and I definitely can't argue your points about our freedom. Things are getting out of hand.

10. nathan312

nathan312 Android Enthusiast

PM me too please. Have same deal but with Zune...

thanks man

11. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

FYI the forum rules apply to the entire site, PMs included.

12. mikedt

mikedt 你好

^^^^^^

OK no problems.

If nathan312 or anyone else wants to know what I said. My Skype handle is in my profile. If that is OK with the AF mods? Delete this message if it's not OK.

BTW can the mods read PMs to and from other AF members?

13. There is a program called mp3 shrinker.

Just put all your songs in and then select out put format and put it to mp3.

Its a payed program so just download the free demo they have

14. Stefenatefun

Stefenatefun Newbie

There is a way you can convert the mp3 files without breaking the law. It's a program called Daniusoft Media Converter. I tiny bit outdated, but does the trick.

15. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Android Expert

I'm not sure about China, but in the USA, you are breaking no laws for anything related to DRM or copyright if you are making copies of the songs you purchased for your own personal use. You may be violating the T & C for iTunes (I really don't know that one), but you are not breaking the law.

I can make 1,000,000 copies of a song I buy from iTunes if I choose to. I just can't give it away to 1,000,000 of my closest friends.

16. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

If it doesn't involve the Phandroid/AF servers then it's not our concern. ;)

Nope, only the admins (for obvious reasons) have access to the message logs.

17. ElasticNinja

ElasticNinja Android Expert

uh oh :/

18. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire

I guess private messages aren't exactly so private anymore. lol

19. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Oh but you are breaking the law in the US. You're actually committing a federal crime by breaking DRM, even if it is for personal use. Although AFAIK no one has yet been prosecuted for personal use. United States Code: Title 17,1201. Circumvention of copyright protection systems | LII / Legal Information Institute
    "No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title."

The very same law, which prevents me from telling the OP how to remove DRM from iTunes songs on US based internet sites.

There maybe hope though...Ruling on DMCA could allow breaking DRM for fair use | Electronista

BTW here in China there are copyright laws apparently, but there is little or no enforcement at all. IP is treated very much as public domain. If it's academic use, I can do pretty much anything I like with IP. I recently heard about a factory in Beijing which was making fake Gucci handbags. The only way Gucci could get it shut down was breach of fire regulations, and not copyright or trademark infringement.

If the songs are not protected with DRM you can legally do that.

20. mplevy

mplevy Android Expert

Gotta love this country we live in! We have, as part of the Copyright act (I think) the "fair use" clause, which allows you to make a copy of a purchased work (music, video, etc.) for your personal use (rip a CD, copy a CD to tape if you still have a need or use for it). Then we have the DMCA which PREVENTS you from doing that! Lawmakers, RIAA and the MPAA need to get their heads out of their a$$es and give ONE guideline.