• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone user here!

curryb15

Lurker
Feb 1, 2016
Hello all! So I’m a long time iPhone user and have dipped my toes into the android world a few times in the past. Starting with the galaxy s4, s6, nexus 6p I’m a techy that loves the ability to customize all aspects of the phone. But I’ve always found myself going back to iPhone because of silly things that bothered me. The truth is I’m entrenched in the apple ecosystem with a Mac , iPads , Apple TV and yet I’m unhappy. I won’t go into the reasons why but I’m that’s the truth.

With all that said I absolutely love the curved screens of the galaxy series and am planning out the final jump once and for all over to android. In years past I made the Jump and never put any thought into trying to fix the things that bothered me. I refuse to let that happen this time and made a list of things that are important to me. A few of the items I would like your opinions on :

Group messaging, last time this was a big problem I was often not getting group text when I was in a group with other iPhone users even though I had send as MMS selected.

Android wear: what does everyone prefer. I lean towards the fossil watches are they any good?

Music: I currently have Apple Music with about 600+ songs would a subscription to google play be comparable to Apple Music?

Notifications light: I really like the notification light on the galaxy but I hear the full size display may not allow for one. Is this true? Is there other technology that can be used as a notification light?

iMessage is great because you have the ability to send and receive text without cell service. I work in a 911 center in a basement where cell service is sparse but we have Wifi. Will android messages send text through data ? I would prefer to stay away from apps like whatsapp ect

I know it’s a lot but thank you in advance for all your help!

Reactions: Milo Willamson
Hello all! So I’m a long time iPhone user and have dipped my toes into the android world a few times in the past. Starting with the galaxy s4, s6, nexus 6p I’m a techy that loves the ability to customize all aspects of the phone. But I’ve always found myself going back to iPhone because of silly things that bothered me. The truth is I’m entrenched in the apple ecosystem with a Mac , iPads , Apple TV and yet I’m unhappy. I won’t go into the reasons why but I’m that’s the truth.

With all that said I absolutely love the curved screens of the galaxy series and am planning out the final jump once and for all over to android. In years past I made the Jump and never put any thought into trying to fix the things that bothered me. I refuse to let that happen this time and made a list of things that are important to me. A few of the items I would like your opinions on :

Group messaging, last time this was a big problem I was often not getting group text when I was in a group with other iPhone users even though I had send as MMS selected.

Android wear: what does everyone prefer. I lean towards the fossil watches are they any good?

Music: I currently have Apple Music with about 600+ songs would a subscription to google play be comparable to Apple Music?

Notifications light: I really like the notification light on the galaxy but I hear the full size display may not allow for one. Is this true? Is there other technology that can be used as a notification light?

iMessage is great because you have the ability to send and receive text without cell service. I work in a 911 center in a basement where cell service is sparse but we have Wifi. Will android messages send text through data ? I would prefer to stay away from apps like whatsapp ect

I know it’s a lot but thank you in advance for all your help!
Welcome to the fourms :)

I have never tried an android wear, "Fossil, as in pocket watches?"
Subscription to Google Play is a stand alone app through Google.
You get more towards your buck that way , You can flip through an entire music library to your music taste, they have recomendation towards anything.

Of course you can use the android message send throughout a cellar, I have tried it several times in our home cellar :) There is a wifi calling and wifi android message I believe on my moto z2 force, also I think on the droid turbo ontop of my head..

Upvote 0
I know Apple Music is available for Android, so you should be able to keep your subscription:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apple.android.music

The other things I don't really know. The last iPhone I had was over 10 years ago.
They sure do have a iTunes app for Android I just hear that it’s a nightmare to use. Last time I would stream via Bluetooth while driving and when I turned the car off the music would continue to play through the phone speaker instead of stop. Extremely annoying. That only happened when I was using the iTunes app on Android

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Welcome to the fourms :)

I have never tried an android wear, "Fossil, as in pocket watches?"
Subscription to Google Play is a stand alone app through Google.
You get more towards your buck that way , You can flip through an entire music library to your music taste, they have recomendation towards anything.

Of course you can use the android message send throughout a cellar, I have tried it several times in our home cellar :) There is a wifi calling and wifi android message I believe on my moto z2 force, also I think on the droid turbo ontop of my head..
Thank you for the kind words. If I do switch I’m thinking about making a thread to document the progress!

Reactions: Milo Willamson
Upvote 0

I currently have a Fossil Q Explorist (v3) for my daily driver. Before that I had a Q Founder. I absolutely love Fossil smart watches and can't recommend them highly enough. :) They look great, work great and feel great. What's not to love?

I guess that depends on how you listen. If all you ever do is stream music then Google Music is pretty much the same. You can copy your purchased music over to Google drive if you want.

Maybe this will help.

iMessage is not all that great. It's just another proprietary platform like Whatsapp, etc. ;) I'm not sure of the other text apps but if you use Google's Messages for texting, if cell service isn't available it will use wifi.

Reactions: curryb15
Upvote 0
I currently have a Fossil Q Explorist (v3) for my daily driver. Before that I had a Q Founder. I absolutely love Fossil smart watches and can't recommend them highly enough. :) They look great, work great and feel great. What's not to love?

I guess that depends on how you listen. If all you ever do is stream music then Google Music is pretty much the same. You can copy your purchased music over to Google drive if you want.

Maybe this will help.

iMessage is not all that great. It's just another proprietary platform like Whatsapp, etc. ;) I'm not sure of the other text apps but if you use Google's Messages for texting, if cell service isn't available it will use wifi.
Youngins always getting them watches. :)

Reactions: curryb15
Upvote 0
i will throw my .02 in to this... hope it helps u
i have a Samsung S8+
with the new Galaxy watch 46mm: Steel & black

The truth is I’m entrenched in the apple ecosystem with a Mac , iPads , Apple TV and yet I’m unhappy. I won’t go into the reasons why but I’m that’s the truth.
this is going to make it an up hill battle for you.
but it gets easier exponentially. you have to get past the first few pains.

dont kid yourself.. there is a reason will iphone has fans... it dumps it down to make it easy!
but android is easy and more user friendly.. once you break yourself of the iphone way!

With all that said I absolutely love the curved screens of the galaxy series
yes.. it is pretty.. but i have not found it more useful. that is just me!
Love the more screen size to bezel!
i hate the iphone screen bezel thing! so stupid

I text with many iphones and android -- in groups.
it works. but there are issues sometimes. and even the iphone users have issues too!
if you like to play the games in imessanger/iphone with friends .. we do not have that. it will not work.

i did my research and went with samsung galaxy watch... 46mm - steel & black. Bluetooth only.
FWI.. this is NOT android wear.. it runs on samsung's os... but it works with both Android and IOS.
i love the LOOK.. sexy. and got a bunch of bands on amazon for cheat.
there are pros and cons
a watch for me .. i also a fashion accessory that is usable. It is part of looking good.
Looks is my 1st concern with a watch. remember i also have a smartphone near by!
and battery.. it last me.. 4 days!!! weekends i can party.. and stay out with friends.

Con:
it will NOT work with google maps .. no maps available at all!
HUGE CON:
it has bixby assistant. it is only usable in the watch's environment.
it can not really search internet or maps for any info.
this is the biggest issue i have!!! i do hope that they fix this.
but i also have my smartphone handy for any search needs.

i use Pandora... dont do music files.
but i hear the music in apple can be now moved to android files. it is no long protected because you purchased it. you will have to look into it more.

my S8+ has notification lights. i sure hope they dont get rid of it.
that would be stupid to remove.
but.. since i have a smartwatch.. i get notifications that way.

my text work through wifi when i am on wifi..

welcome to the other side!

Upvote 0
i will throw my .02 in to this... hope it helps u
i have a Samsung S8+
with the new Galaxy watch 46mm: Steel & black

The truth is I’m entrenched in the apple ecosystem with a Mac , iPads , Apple TV and yet I’m unhappy. I won’t go into the reasons why but I’m that’s the truth.
this is going to make it an up hill battle for you.
but it gets easier exponentially. you have to get past the first few pains.

dont kid yourself.. there is a reason will iphone has fans... it dumps it down to make it easy!
but android is easy and more user friendly.. once you break yourself of the iphone way!

With all that said I absolutely love the curved screens of the galaxy series
yes.. it is pretty.. but i have not found it more useful. that is just me!
Love the more screen size to bezel!
i hate the iphone screen bezel thing! so stupid

I text with many iphones and android -- in groups.
it works. but there are issues sometimes. and even the iphone users have issues too!
if you like to play the games in imessanger/iphone with friends .. we do not have that. it will not work.

i did my research and went with samsung galaxy watch... 46mm - steel & black. Bluetooth only.
FWI.. this is NOT android wear.. it runs on samsung's os... but it works with both Android and IOS.
i love the LOOK.. sexy. and got a bunch of bands on amazon for cheat.
there are pros and cons
a watch for me .. i also a fashion accessory that is usable. It is part of looking good.
Looks is my 1st concern with a watch. remember i also have a smartphone near by!
and battery.. it last me.. 4 days!!! weekends i can party.. and stay out with friends.

Con:
it will NOT work with google maps .. no maps available at all!
HUGE CON:
it has bixby assistant. it is only usable in the watch's environment.
it can not really search internet or maps for any info.
this is the biggest issue i have!!! i do hope that they fix this.
but i also have my smartphone handy for any search needs.

i use Pandora... dont do music files.
but i hear the music in apple can be now moved to android files. it is no long protected because you purchased it. you will have to look into it more.

my S8+ has notification lights. i sure hope they dont get rid of it.
that would be stupid to remove.
but.. since i have a smartwatch.. i get notifications that way.

my text work through wifi when i am on wifi..

welcome to the other side!
Thank you for taking the time to answer me! The games are iMessage are so stupid I never use them. I look forward to seeing what the s10 has to offer !

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones