• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone user jumping ship, but have some questions

Well I have finally decided to move over to Android and I am really hooked on the Note 2, but I have some concerns I thought you guys might be able to help with.

Apparently here in the US we only get the 16GB and I heard that apps can not be put onto the microSD.

I am an app junkie I am afraid that the available 10GB the phone has of the 16GB is not going to cut it.

Can you set up the phone to automatically have Music, Photos and Video be placed on the microSD and keep apps on the internal storage?

I have heard you can root the phone to allow apps to be stored on the microSD, but I am fearful of bricking the phone.

Any rumors or idea if or when the US might be getting the larger 32 or 64GB models?

I hope to be able to sell my iPad and iPhone 5 soon and get the Note 2!

Thanks for any help,
Chris

Well I have finally decided to move over to Android and I am really hooked on the Note 2, but I have some concerns I thought you guys might be able to help with.

Apparently here in the US we only get the 16GB and I heard that apps can not be put onto the microSD.

I am an app junkie I am afraid that the available 10GB the phone has of the 16GB is not going to cut it. I have a lot of apps on my phone(70+) and so far still have 3+gb left on internal storage.

Can you set up the phone to automatically have Music, Photos and Video be placed on the microSD and keep apps on the internal storage?
You can have the phone automatically save photos/video and music to the SD card.
I have heard you can root the phone to allow apps to be stored on the microSD, but I am fearful of bricking the phone. Not to sure about rooting as I've never done it but from what I have read it is fairly easy and a very quick process.

Any rumors or idea if or when the US might be getting the larger 32 or 64GB models?

I hope to be able to sell my iPad and iPhone 5 soon and get the Note 2!

Thanks for any help,
Chris

I also switched from the Iphone and I could never go back after owning the Note 2. Being able to customize and make the phone more my style is awesome. Not to mention the screen size rocks.

Upvote 0
I just got a replacement phone. During the frustrating hours between the initial broken phone and my new one I made many calls to SAMSUNG, SPRINT and to IP lawyers I know( I am an attorney as well).
I too was an apple user and I doubt I would go back...however being told that my phone may have been fried due to a virus is something that never happened on my previous iphone.(I went from the original iphone 2g to the galaxy note II)
Frankly, I would tell people to wait, before they buy this phone (which is awesome)...but there are other more awesome versions out there...wheich are likely coming to the USA soon since this first version is selling so well. For example...there are versions with dual sim card slots, or digital television or FM radio. People have these devices right now in other countries but I am sure we will get them here in the USA as galaxy note 3 or galaxy note IIS. ...whatever.
The dual sim to me( an international traveler) is a very nice handy feature. Too bad I pulled the trigger and got this one. I kinda think I should have waited. Plus I was not given a solid answer as to why my phone fried. Which is a bit disconcerting. However they gave me a new one rather readily though it cost $35, and they were helpful in wanting to fix my phonelessness.
Cheers,
Ian

PS I have a 32 gig card in mine and I have nothing on it yet.

Upvote 0
I'm an iPhone convert as well. I have 64 gig micro sd card and happy to say I now can store my entire music library with room to spare. There's a bit of a learning curve, but well worth it.

Ditto for me as well (iPhone 4). I was a bit apprehensive moving from a 32GB iPhone to a 16GB Note 2. I'm an app whore so I tend to hoard lots of apps on my phone even though I use them like once a month. But, since I'm able to move all my photos/movies/music/etc to the SD card, storage for apps has, surprisingly, not been an issue for me at all. Even with all the apps I have on my phone (somewhere around 100+) I still have at least 5GB's left which is plenty fine for me.

As for rooting, I don't have any experience with that however I JB'd the crap out of my iPhones so I'm assuming the process/precautions are still the same. I had heard T-Mob users were able to special order the 32GB model by calling directly however I've not seen any confirmation on that. What they might is release the 32GB model sometime later next year or something just to piss off everyone who bought the 16GB model. I'm guessing if interest starts to diminish with the Note 2 then they'll release the bigger versions to rekindle the flame so to speak.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones