1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

iPhone user takes another swing at android phone G2X and android fails

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by AJPTransport, Jun 18, 2011.

1. AJPTransport

AJPTransport Member
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    Having a iPhone since they first came out i loved it. Well I got bored last year and decided to change it up with a samsung galaxy. Phone was ok, battery life was hoooorrribbllee, charger on the top? Wtf and weak sound out of ear phones. Fast forward to now. Got bored with my iPhone 4, dumped it, got a G2X, I can't even go a day without having a phone that will stay charged. Go to use the Sirius app, I can't hear crap, same thing with music player.

I'm sorry the software is great but google needs to design their own phone, have only one just like iPhone a f make sure it's done right. All I read is bow all these android phones and horrible battery life! I mean I could go 2 days without having to charge my iPhone and that was with heavy usage since it's my work phone. Yet I have a fully charged G2x last night, wake up at 3 this morning to a scolding hot phone and 3 percent left.. What crap.

Advertisement

2. StealthTH

StealthTH Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Uh...Google does have it's own phone...it is called the Nexus S...look it up.

KENNECTED likes this.
  3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Sorry to hear of your disappointing experiences with Android Phones. There's nothing wrong with the iPhone and if it suits your use habits better, then maybe for you it is the better choice. However, there are some things that frustrate users who switch between the two platforms.

One of the things is battery life. Part of the problem is that the iPhone comes slightly underclocked and with many services turned off, while Android phones generally come out of the box with everything turned on. I wish there was a middle ground, but I understand why it's done. If things were throttled back, then the user would initially feel the device was average, not stellar. Who want's to go for the latest and the greatest and get "average"? Still, those are the decisions each company has to make.

It's understandable that you'd read about bad battery life in the forums. While some come to rant, others come looking for ways to optimize performance. I'd have to say that a good majority of them leave with some sort of resolution. Few ever come to say they don't have a problem (although it does happen from time to time).

The phone being hot overnight is an indication that something is continually active. The usual suspects are Wifi and GPS. If you 've cot location services enabled and the GPS radio on, it will search for signal until it finds one. If your phone is inside, that could be never. Similarly with WiFi ... if you've got sync services going, every time it tries to sync, it will wake up and try to reconnect with the lan while re-establishing the 3G connection just in case. My recommendation would be to turn on GPS and WiFi only when you are actually using them and see if that makes a difference. I'd also cut back on the amount of time between sync's got data feeds and email.

I hope you can resolve your problems to your satisfaction.

Slug likes this.
  4. No_u

No_u Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 4, 2010
    Uh, GPS is only searching for a signal when an app requires it. It's not always on when you have it enabled. You can see when your GPS is active by an icon in the notification bar. Keeping it on will not have a large impact on your battery at all, as long as you don't use maps or actual navigation services.

Location services can use your aGPS which is based on your WiFi spot or 3G location. Because you can locate your position based on the WiFi network you're connected to or via 3G. This will not use that much battery.

WiFi works the same way, it will only connect when needed. But turning it off and on uses more battery, so you should turn WiFi sleep policy to never sleep. You can do that in the advanced settings at WiFi settings (use menu to toggle). You could also just keep WiFi off, so there's no connection involved at all.

iPhone 4 battery life is just as bad as the G2X, it's common with all smartphones. Get an extended battery perhaps.

5. momoceio

momoceio Android Expert
    None

Dec 14, 2009
    Sr. Systems Administrator
    St. Louis
    I unplugged my phone yesterday at 10:00 am. I turn my mobile data/syncing off when I'm not using it and keep GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth off. This morning at 9:00 am...my battery is at 84%. Battery life all comes down to how you use your phone and how disciplined you are with your sensors and settings. Keep in mind what these phones can do and how tiny the batteries are, then compare that to a netbook or laptop.

6. momoceio

momoceio Android Expert
    None

Dec 14, 2009
    Sr. Systems Administrator
    St. Louis
    Almost 7 hours later and my battery is at 81% now...

7. janpetras

janpetras Well-Known Member
    None

May 24, 2011
    ~/jan/
    Well, keeping mobile data and sync off is not an option for me since I need the push e-mail.
    However, I'm still frustrated at Google for forcing me to keep sync on for the e-mail.
    Why can't it be true push, for example, Yahoo Mail doesn't mind if sync is turned off, it pushes your e-mail anyway.

Oh and by the way, even with those on, I still get 48 hours off my battery.
    But I do keep everything except mobile data (on EDGE) and sync off.

Anyway, keeping mobile data off is not an option.
    E-mail, Gtalk, Yahoo Messenger, Live Profile are all must-have for me.

8. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Android allows you to change batteries easily if you REALLY need more power, or you can try out apps like Juice Defender, etc that can improve your battery life.

iPhone battery is one and done. My friend has a 3GS iPhone and the battery on that phone is almost done - it hardly holds more than 6 hours of charge any more. He can't change it without paying someone to do it.

Android has a much larger screen, which can use more juice. iPhone with its tiny 3.5" screen will use much less juice. iPhone does less, so the battery lasts longer. Android does more, with larger screens and better specs, so battery lasts not as long.

At least you have choices with Android. iPhone has only 1 choice.

9. _mw_

_mw_ Android Enthusiast
    None

Specs aside, apps aside, everything else aside, therein lies the beauty of Android and what I believe will keep me hanging around for a long time to come. If I want a small screen, I can get it. If I want a large one, I can do that too. Physical keyboard? Yes or no, you decide. If I want a different battery, higher class microSD, a different mp camera... I can make that choice.

Apple bashing aside, because in the end it's not that popular because it sucks, you're stuck with one phone. One way of doing things. Somebody else makes the choices for you, and you're basically placing all your faith in the fact that the one they've made is good enough for everybody. For a number of people it is, just not for me.

KENNECTED and XplosiV like this.
  10. DocBeech

DocBeech Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    Your iphone is 3g. I can have read and posted on three different threads by the time that you download and post on one. My screen makes your iphone screen look like garbage. I don't have to pay to download music. Oh and apple is charging 650 dollars for an unlocked 3g iphone. I paid 300 for an unlocked 4g lte 32gig class 10 memory android and only had to pay 30 more for an extended battery. If your iphone crashes your screwed. You have to wait for your battery to die because you can't Pull it.

11. ninja_reject

ninja_reject Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 19, 2011
    This kind of post is extremely counter-productive. When we start start with the "my phone can kick your phone's ass", we are not contributing to the community in a positive manner. For many people, the iphone is a perfect fit. No need to bash another's choice in smartphones.

Edit: I may not "have to" pay for music, but I buy it legally anyway. Artists put their souls into producing music, and spend thousands of hours practicing, usually spending time being dirt poor before they make it. You are not Robin Hood, taking from the rich. Stealing is stealing.

KENNECTED, B2L, ambientdroid and 4 others like this.
  12. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    This is highly unusual. If your phone is scolding hot in the middle of the night, there is something wrong with the phone or with the apps that you have on your phone. Normally, your phone should not be doing much while you are asleep. It sound like some rogue app is running and draining your battery or you are using some automatic task killer and targeting an app that should not be killed. The only time my phone gets really hot is when I use Google Maps.

13. ashykat

ashykat Android Expert
    None

Apr 27, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    I agree with what someone else said about posts like this being counter-productive. Simply attacking the iPhone doesn't do you any justice. I also think that your keypoints are not completely valid.

I'm thinking that you probably can't load a simple forum page and type a reply 3 times faster simply because you have 4G LTE. Can you type 3 times as fast as someone with a 3G phone?

Did you buy your unlocked phone at full retail? I haven't seen a brand new 4G LTE capable phone with a 32 GB class 10 sd card for $300. I think you're talking about the subsidized price...

Your screen makes the iPhone look like garbage? I doubt it. Does your phone have a 326 ppi resolution?

Do you pay to subscribe to music or do you illegally download it? Anyone can illegally download music, but if you do I hope you get sued.

You're right, there is no battery pull on the iPhone. There is a hard reset equivalent however. You press and hold the sleep/wake button and home button until your phone turns off and back on, then release. It works pretty well...

Look, I'm not here to defend the iPhone. I use a T-Mobile G2X myself, but at least be informed before you start attacking other phones because it just shows your ignorance.

KENNECTED and ninja_reject like this.
  14. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    This is indeed highly unusual.
    Settings - About Phone - Battery Use, should give you some idea what is consuming battery life.

Usually, standby usage over night should be under 5%.
    If you don't want to be disturbed when you sleep, you can also put the phone in Airplane mode (eventually scheduled) and that will give you extra good 8 hours of battery life.

15. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Yup, all Android handsets have horrible battery life.... but only straight out of the box. Once you've done a couple of full charge/full use cycles and used the handset for a week or two you see a marked improvement.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  16. AJPTransport

AJPTransport Member
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    Ok guys I turned off wifi and the gps. It helped a ton. Stupid question, what does the gps actually do and what is the circle with 2 circle arrows mean? Thanks

17. No_u

No_u Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 4, 2010
    GPS locates where you are on the planet so you can use navigation software. The circle with 2 arrow means it's currently searching for a signal and using LOTS of battery.

18. AJPTransport

AJPTransport Member
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    How come with gps off it still is able to locate me on the map?

19. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Check to make sure it's not locating you via wireless network (wifi/3g).

Menu/Settings/Location&Security

20. maggot_ff

maggot_ff Member
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    Well, iPhone really has the battery going for them, you can't argue that iPhone has better battery than pretty much every android phone (at least with everything being stock), so if you want better battery life for your android, i suggest (to some degree, I'm not a big root-fan myself) that you root your phone, and freeze some apps. This is a great way to keep your phone lasting longer.

As i load my phone at the end of every day, need it or not, i generally can't say that the battery life is much of a problem for me. if i want it running for a long time, i turn off gps, wi-fi, 3g and turn down the screen brightness. Then i'm good to go for 2-4 days with my Galaxy S2, depending on usage. (usually 2, as i'm an androholic and have been in the later years) :p

21. alamoe

alamoe Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 22, 2009
    You do know you can have auto-sync on but have it only sync your e-mail, right? For example, you could have your e-mails push but have other services like calendar or contacts turned off. Just leave auto-sync on but go in and individually select what you want syncing.

22. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    This appears to be the case for all modern cell phone batteries. I experienced the same thing with my Nokia N97. Brand new, the battery didn't seem to last very long. Then after a month, the battery seems to last noticeably longer.

The documentation with my current Android phone also states that batter life will be poor when it is brand new and after several charges, the battery life will improve.

23. ambientdroid

ambientdroid Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Japan
    I'm pretty sure that's just the 'Sync' icon.

24. No_u

No_u Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 4, 2010
    Or it's the sync icon ^.^

25. mauiblue

mauiblue Android Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    After almost a year with my HTC Incredible, I've accepted the fact that this phone has mediocre battery life. I just need to find a solution to this issue. For me to keep going, I've amassed a few battery packs (2 OEM and 2 extended battery packs) and have a wall charger. When one battery pack goes flat, I just install another pack. When I'm at home before I go to bed, I plug the phone in (the phone is also my alarm clock). So far no problems and I just rotate the use of the packs I own.