1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

iPhones Hacked

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AngryHatter, Feb 10, 2011.

1. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Android Expert

Researchers reveal iPhone passwords in under six minutes

Researchers reveal iPhone passwords in under six minutes

German researchers Fraunhofer SIT have demonstrated processes that enable a would-be attacker to compromise and reveal passwords stored in a locked iPhone in under six minutes, without having to crack the phone

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jamor

jamor Android Expert

iphone iphone iphone iphone iphone iphone iphone

Markhypnos and tommy_ed like this.
  3. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

There have been several reports of malicious apps for android devices.
    How exactly is that a win?

4. ElasticNinja

ElasticNinja Android Expert

beat me to it

5. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Android Expert

Actually, there have only been like two. One was a phishing app, and the other is a proof of concept where the phone's mic can be used to send data out.

The phishing one was pulled in about a day from the market. And, the proof of concept has yet to be seen in the wild.

Both, required the end user to install an application. The iPhone exploit requires no user intervention, and breaks the inherent security chain of the device + OS.

6. ElasticNinja

ElasticNinja Android Expert

remember the security bugs report
    dozens found

7. pool_shark

You're talking about apps in the market. I'm talking about apps for android, whether or not they are in the market is irrelevant because we can install apps that are not in the market.

8. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Android Expert

9. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Android Expert

And that is why people must think carefully before they jailbreak or root their devices to install "unapproved" apps from God only knows where. With the App Store or the Android Market, there is some measure of security. Or so we are told.

I am not sure every app on either store is as carefully tested as we would like. Then again, perhaps they are. When we start installing applications from some web site we have not seen before or nobody knows about, we run a great risk.

Bob Maxey

10. pool_shark

On some if not all devices such as the Droid 2, you don't have to be root to install apps outside of the market.
    I have a checkbox that allows me to do it.

I think I read on this site about a flaw in the tv.com and barcode scanner apps, which are in the market.

11. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Android Expert

Perhaps the best idea is to simply assume you will be hacked and let that little bit on assumption dictate what you do not mind being spread all over the net.

Bob Maxey