• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories iPod connector -> Micro USB cable

shiibal

May 21, 2010
I have an integrated Ipod male connector cable in my car. I wanted to be able to connect my Evo using an adaptor to the same connector that supports the 30 pin Ipod connector

Does anybody know where I can get a hold of a cable that has a female ipod connector and a micro usb connector on the other end?

Id like to be able to listen to music from my phone in my car without having to connect the 3.5mm to a separate aux jack.

If anybody has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

Reactions: Eddie B
Just getting the cable may not do you any good. It is also about the 30 pins in the EVO being compatible to the unit in your car, which it may or may not be. If the pinout is a different set up, bad things could happen. For example, say that power comes down pin 12 for an Ipod but on your EVO pin 12 goes to some other function, well you are now sending power to whatever that may be.... which might let the magic smoke out of your phone. I would research this big time before you leap.

Reactions: shiibal
Upvote 0
Just getting the cable may not do you any good. It is also about the 30 pins in the EVO being compatible to the unit in your car, which it may or may not be. If the pinout is a different set up, bad things could happen. For example, say that power comes down pin 12 for an Ipod but on your EVO pin 12 goes to some other function, well you are now sending power to whatever that may be.... which might let the magic smoke out of your phone. I would research this big time before you leap.

Wouldn't this be taken care of if such adapter cable exists? The whole point of that cable would be to convert the mico usb output to ipod 30 pin output so that his male ipod input cable would work with no problems.

Also, any chance you could use the hdmi port on the EVO instead of the mico usb?

Upvote 0
Wouldn't this be taken care of if such adapter cable exists? The whole point of that cable would be to convert the mico usb output to ipod 30 pin output so that his male ipod input cable would work with no problems.

Also, any chance you could use the hdmi port on the EVO instead of the mico usb?

Maybe... maybe not. I am just saying proceed with caution. I don't know that there is any sort of standard between all the companies and connectors and adaptors. Heck I don't even know if such a cable exists to be honest. As for your second question... I'll take an easier question for less money.

Upvote 0
so is the 3.5mm audio out the only way to play music from my phone?

do you know if ipod/female -> 3.5mm/male would work?

i have an aux jack in my car as well which ill probably end up using, however i was just wondering if there's a way to utilize the ipod jack that is built into my car audio system

Upvote 0

i have an aux jack in my car as well which ill probably end up using, however i was just wondering if there's a way to utilize the ipod jack that is built into my car audio system

If you have an aux input, just use that. It's not as clean as a low level port out like the Iphone/iPod has, but it's better than nothing AND you can stream audio from the Evo to your head unit this way unlike the usb connector.

Upvote 0

man, if you have an aux port there is no reason not to just use that. my wife's car only has the ipod male so i have no choice but to try some fancy converter cable.

I don't see why the ipod femaile to 3.5mm wouldn't work. On their site it does mention that it isn't always compatible so who knows.

Upvote 0
Yea i guess 3.5mm -> aux jack will have to do. main reason i was trying to find alternative is the microusb and 3.5mm audio inputs are on opposite ends of the phone.

i was hoping to find a way to car charge + listen to music at the same time since its sucks to have wires sticking out of both sides of the phone

Upvote 0
Yea i guess 3.5mm -> aux jack will have to do. main reason i was trying to find alternative is the microusb and 3.5mm audio inputs are on opposite ends of the phone.

i was hoping to find a way to car charge + listen to music at the same time since its sucks to have wires sticking out of both sides of the phone

I'm with you there. What we need is the ability for the USB to push audio. I'm sure a dev could make that happen.

Upvote 0
I'm interested in this for the following scenario:
Been an iPhone user for 2 years. I have Altec Lansing(sp?) portable speaker systems at home and work that I used to charge my iPhone and listen to Pandora, and since my phone is my alarm clock this setup worked perfectly.

Since the portable speaker systems available for my Droid Incredible are as plentiful as water in the Sahara I'd like to use a cable to connect the DInc to the portable speaker system so I can continue with the above scenario.

Save your flames about my stupidity for 4chan.
Grassyass

Upvote 0
What about the Sprint Anycom Bluetooth A2DP Reciever with iPod Dock.
15.95 on ebay
Sprint Anycom Bluetooth A2DP Reciever with iPod Dock - eBay (item 190398627547 end time Sep-17-10 13:41:44 PDT)

This is exactly what I did. I have one for my car which has the male ipod 30-pin connector. I am able to stream via this bluetooth connection, while I am also connected to the car seperately for phone. Work great. Only limitation is it does not allow steering controls to change tracks. No big deal. Second one is for the multitude of ipod stereos in the house.

Highly recommend - I bought off of Amazon, same unit if you justtype in anycom bluetoothe a2dp you will come up with options.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones