• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPod (iPad) vs Archos 70/101

i dont get it. how does the archos access the video file? smb?

how long does it take to copy the file fromthe pc to the archos?

Smb, something none of the other slates can do. And the streaming isn't just limited to videos, any app can access any file on any pc. So if you wanted to load an ebook, just open it like it was any other local file. I don't think the apps can differentiate between flash, sd, usb, or network. It's all just one long folder path.

Upvote 0
This is lacking some details. Did you have to convert the video or something? On my iPad it takes about the same amount of time as the archos. No video conversion required. I use OPlayer. Vlc player also works with most formats, and it's free.

As I told the other guy, it's a netbook class file server, not a core2duo running 24/7.

And I've already tried vlc, it only plays low quality avi's and crashes with anything else. Even the demonstrations on youtube show that it doesn't work.

Archos does it right out of the box. Nothing to install, nothing to configure, no hardware required. The file system means it just accesses your shared folders like any other pc.

Ipad apps can't even see each others ebooks.

Upvote 0
As I told the other guy, it's a netbook class file server, not a core2duo running 24/7.

And I've already tried vlc, it only plays low quality avi's and crashes with anything else. Even the demonstrations on youtube show that it doesn't work.

Archos does it right out of the box. Nothing to install, nothing to configure, no hardware required. The file system means it just accesses your shared folders like any other pc.

Ipad apps can't even see each others ebooks.

How new is your iPod Touch? Strange that it wouldn't work on it. I've got several high quality rips (1 GB plus files) that work just fine with VLC player.

Oplayer is what I use primarily for video files though, it also streams right from a file server. You can download files from a file server. Not too shabby.

There is alot to be said about working right out of the box, but it's something that I can overlook if it's something overcome by simply installing new software.

Upvote 0
How new is your iPod Touch? Strange that it wouldn't work on it. I've got several high quality rips (1 GB plus files) that work just fine with VLC player.

iPod Touch 3rd Gen 32Gig. And there has yet to be an anime that actually works on VLC. I've already tried looking around on how to make it work, it's pretty unanimouse that it can't. Even on Youtube demonstrations where it's being shown how to work can't do it. Same goes for oPlayer.

Oplayer is what I use primarily for video files though, it also streams right from a file server. You can download files from a file server. Not too shabby.

Last time i checked it had to download the videos before playing.

There is alot to be said about working right out of the box, but it's something that I can overlook if it's something overcome by simply installing new software.

But given the choice, i'd rather pick the most straightforward one, and for $200.00 less.

Anime videos aren't your typical DVD rips. Their unorthodox encoding methods that cover the entire h264 spectrum are what sets them apart from norm. As an anime enthusiast i've been trying out various players, none of them could even play a 480p properly. I learned this first hand when i first got a netbook, it could play any western 480p video rip (or anything i rip myself), but put in a 480p anime, and it's unwatchable.

Upvote 0
SMB share access is a good plus, and yes I've heard about and seen (or not seen?) how iPods connectivity to other devices are very bad. I didn't know iProduct <-> iProduct file sharing wouldn't work though.

What you're really saying is that Archos' product is good for playing those not so common video formats, which is always a plus for end users.

I'm hungry for a 101.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones